Multi-format Disney Infinity Perspective

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:18 am

Since I have Disney Infinity on three major consoles, I'd thought I share what I find here in this thread, updating/replying as I go and fielding questions.

Firstly, the experience does vary, initial impression summarised as:

Wii U = Visually impressive, controls are a struggle, not natural and always "losing your place", flipping between "packs" is sketchy.

PS3 = Visually darker, much less impressive, however controls are much better, more natural and responsive, however game itself struggles when it's loading, cutscenes, popups etc.

Xbox 360 = Not played much yet, visually no complaints, hoping its the best bits of Wii U and PS3.

FAQ
Q. Can I swap Infinity Bases between platforms?
A. Not all of them, the Xbox 360 will only work on Xbox 360, and is the only Base the Xbox 360 will use, due to the Infineon USB security chip inside the Xbox 360. However the Wii U and PS3 bases can be swapped. The Xbox 360 Base has "for Xbox 360" written on the underside.
More here:
Infinity Platform compatibility
viewtopic.php?t=2920#p32847

Q. Why do you have it on three platforms?
A. I recently bought a Wii U Premium at a good price for the kids to play on the Gamepad and get the TV back lol, plus the handful of games due out for it soon. Xbox 360 is my platform of choice, find the experience and online abilities superior to PS3. However I also have a PS3 due to the excellent exclusive single player experiences, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Last of Us, etc. When it came to Infinity, I knew I should get it for Wii U and Xbox 360 to save arguments, for multi-platform games I love I also get on PS3 so I can play them again, get Trophies and Achievements and enjoy them again.

More coming soon...
Daring Air Operations Expert
Have Disney Infinity on: Xbox 360 | PS3 | Wii U

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Re: Multi-format Disney Infinity Perspective

Postby Sheriff Woody » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:12 am

^ just wondering which version of the PS3 are you using?

the original launch full fat version, second released semi skimmed version or the latest released no fat skinny version?

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 pm

^ Do they have proper names?
I guess Fat, Slim and Super Slim (or as I like to call it, Budget, or maybe to go with Tesco, Original, Finest and Value, lol)

I have a launch day Fat, but retired it to light duties, just PS2 and PS1 gaming since it has all my data on it (plus a backup), my main PS3 console of use now is a Slim, purchased not long before the Super Slim came out, thankfully, I don't like the look nor lack of loading CD drive for what doesn't appear to be much in the way of a reduced form factor.

Long story short, Slim.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:41 pm

I'm intrigued by the "visually darker, less impressive" point about PS3. Now I only have it for PS3 and think the graphics look pretty similar to the Wii U (based on video). Are you playing them on the same television set?

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm

^ Indeed I am, same screen. I think they're on 1080i or 576p (sadly it's an older one so can't do 1080p, maybe later on I can replace it, maybe after Christmas).
I noticed it especially playing the Incredibles playset and Syndrome flew into view and released the three villains, but I'd suspected earlier on in the intro the same thing.

Speaking of the Intro, while playing it on my kids account I noticed the section you jump up the side of the ship with Jack Sparrow exaggerated the locations you can grab onto the ship and jump (like boards nailed onto the side of the ship, they look reminiscent of the final climbing you do as Mickey), yet when I played on my account it was more subtle about where you climb up/cling onto (no nailed boards), nice touch I think.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby SandyClaws » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:49 pm

Interesting, how to do you like playing with the Wii U pad and DI?
Please subscribe to us on iTunes or Stitcher Radio, and Youtube

Disney Infinity TV

Chatter
SandyClaws

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Speaking personally, it's a pretty substantial controller... it's like playing with an iPad in your hands with PSP buttons on it. I began playing Lego City on it, don't have any other games for it yet, besides Nintendoland, looking forward to more games this Christmas, so I'm still pretty new to Wii U controls.
Biggest problem I find is switching between looking at the TV and the controller, knowing which one I should be looking at, other times it seems redundant, showing just a blank screen (I've not explored much in Toy Box, just sticking to the Playsets for now, so I suspect it will become more useful then).

If I switch it to Play Game on the pad, which actually still displays it on the TV as well, then it's handy to look at the screen and easily see the buttons, since I still seem to have problems remembering the functions of the buttons and when/which to use, and which my fingers are hovering over, which as a long term gamer scares me I'm going senile when I keep pressing X instead of Y and vice versa, plus pressing "B" or bottom button as "Jump" and the top button as attack seems wrong to me, also pressing Y to get into vehicles, but then having to use A to exit them, D-Pad Left and Right Pack switch is a bit iffy, and it certainly won't switch while you're using a pack, you have to put away the Hoverboard before you can switch back to your powers for fighting. Not sure what it is about the GamePad that seems to scramble my brain, I don't have this problem on the PS3 using a standard DualShock 3 controller with fumbling the controls.

For the kids, I'd say it's the size and weight of the GamePad, they have to sit at the table with the GamePad on the desk and "peck" at the buttons, barely reach the underside triggers... in retrospect, I fear the Wii U was a poor choice for the kids.
However, if they pull their finger out and add Pro/Classic Controller support, I'll stick the GamePad on the stand and they can use the pro controller, which should be easier to hold.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby SandyClaws » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Interesting, thanks for that. I'd imagine you have little issue with the Playstation controller because you've been using one for almost 20 years now:-) At least that's why for me.
Please subscribe to us on iTunes or Stitcher Radio, and Youtube

Disney Infinity TV

Chatter
SandyClaws

Postby AceSoloMcCloud » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:16 pm

^ Possibly.

Actually thinking about it now, and comparing controllers... it might actually be an Xbox 360 / Wii U crosswire in my head.

Notice anything?

Xbox 360 Controller
http://www.dealspwn.com/writer/wordpres ... -photo.jpg

Wii U GamePad
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/upl ... 80x358.jpg

Of course, the Y and X, A and B are reversed!

Of course it's not Nintendo's fault, they had that layout before Microsoft did, but it's been so long since I played on SNES my brain has archived (deleted?) that controller layout.

Gamecube was quite different, in comparison to Xbox, the X and B were reversed, but given it had a completely unique style (didn't most people just hover over the big A button since it was used 90% of the time and flick their thumb left for B and right for X, and at a push stretched for Y?) it didn't impact on using other controllers much, plus it came out at the same time as XBOX so easier to adapt to both at the same time, and no resemblance of SNES in the Gamecube it was as new as XBOX was at the time.

The Wii of course was again, completely different and only buttons were 1 and 2. There was the Classic and Pro Controllers, but really only for downloadable retro games, personally I don't like to invest money in download games due to A) Needing the storage space to store them and B) when the system gets shut down, all your games go with it. I only got the Pro Controller with the Wii U, because I did think there would be times it would be more suitable than the Gamepad, it being a launch accessory and given the size and weight of the Gamepad, I expected all games to support it (they have to support the GamePad, and the Wiimote (not included in even the Premium pack?!) anyway, what's one more?)

Point being, two recent consistent generations of Xbox layout compared to varied and reversed Nintendo layout that I've not used anywhere near as much, this is going to take some getting used to.

rank_100
AceSoloMcCloud
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys