A few beginner questions...

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

A few beginner questions...

Postby papabigbear » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:11 am

We will be introduced to DI soon in the guise of several Christmas gifts to my daughter. Since everything I have so far is wrapped and unavailable for exploration, I was hoping that the vets here might answer a few questions for me. We will be playing on a PS4.

What I have bought so far:
• 2.0 Toy Box Starter with Merida and Stitch
• 3.0 Starter Pack with Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker
• 3.0 Play set with Luke and Leia
• About 10 various individual figurines that I know my wife and daughter like, mostly 2.0 with a smattering of 1.0.
• Both toybox expansions (Race Track and Toy Box Takeover)

I know this is a taboo comparison, but since we did play Skylanders a bit, I am curious how much content comes with a starter kit in comparison to Skylanders. In Skylanders, you get a lot of content without have to buy canons and whatnot to unlock additional areas in the game. Is the same true for Infinity? I have a basic understanding of the toy box so I know that is a big difference (and as much as we like Minecraft, I am sure we will love it), but what concerns me is that because I bought individual figurines rather than play sets, that we will miss some really great parts of the game. Am I correct in assuming the only way to unlock, for example, the pirate and western levels is place the token that comes with the playset on the base, or are they already unlocked and you just have to have the correct characters to play in those levels?

Next is power disks. I have bought none so far. Mistake? Do I need to add some? Anything I need to know on this front to save a buck or optimize what we get?

Also, is it worth it to try and find a 1.0 starter pack? Would it be required to play a 1.0 play set or are they forward-compatible?

I am sure I will think of other questions as I go but those are the big ones I have right now. I will be tearing through the forums to learn as much as I can in the remaining days before Christmas.

Thanks in advance, guys!

PBB

rank_0
papabigbear
Main Console: PS4

Re: A few beginner questions...

Postby pjhaan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:01 am

The "playable content" you can compare with Skylanders would be the play sets. From your list above, you have two of the 3.0 play sets. The 2.0 Toy Box Starter Pack you bought does not have any of the play sets. The play sets offer about a 5 hour story mode. You must have the play set piece to open the levels.

The play set pieces will only be playable in their respective versions.

1.0: The Monsters U, Incredibles, Pirates, Toy Story, Lone Ranger
2.0: Avengers, Spider-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy
3.0: 3 Star Wars Sets, Inside Out, Marvel Battleground

Right now, Toys 'R Us has the 1.0 and 2.0 Power Discs on sale for $1 per pack. I personally only want the textures, sky domes, weapons and vehicles. since they are in blind packs you can't tell exactly what you are getting. You CAN however, feel the package to see if they are Circular or Hex Based. I only buy packs with 2 Hex discs.

If you plan on building (which I love) I would try to pick up as many of the play sets as possible. Even if you don't have the 1.0 game software, the play set piece will unlock all of the content in the newer versions of the game. To play the play sets though, you do need the software.

EDIT: The play sets get mixed reviews. Some people love them, some people hate...I enjoy them all but they can get a bit repetive. I mainly play them to unlock the toys for the Toy Box mode.

There are a lot of great toy boxes out there so you don't really need play sets to get a lot of enjoyment out of the game.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:36 pm

if someone is just getting into infinity now, is there any advantage to buying an older (1.0, 2.0) starter pack?

rank_250
crazybirdman

Postby CCRunner524 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:38 pm

All content from 1.0 and 2.0 can be unlocked for free in 3.0 in terms of the toybox. The only reason to get the older starter packs would be IF you want to play the playsets.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby papabigbear » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Thank you, pjhaan. Until your posts, I did not even know that you can share your Toybox creations! This is going to be fun :)

Is it still possible to find 1.0 play sets and starter sets (for the game itself, I assume)? I can only find 2.0 and 3.0 in the local stores here in the Memphis, TN USA area.

rank_0
papabigbear

Postby pjhaan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:58 pm

You can probably find the online but more than likely not on a store. You have a PS4 so you wouldn't be able to play the 1.0 playsets unless you also have a PS3. 1.0 was not available on the PS4.

However, if you want to collect the older figures, you can probably find some good sales.

Many of the members on this forum submit toy boxes for the weekly challenges. They are generally announced a month on advance. They announce the winners on a weekly YouTube video.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby jose.abalos » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:00 am

It will be a bit difficult to find 1.0 playsets in the wild, but you can perhaps find them in the bargain bin at Gamestop or even on eBay. Just found the Incredibles, Monsters U and Pirates playset piece for $8.
The opinions posted here are my own, and not my employer's.

Mickey
jose.abalos
Main Console: PS3

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help