Theory on Disney Playsets.

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Re: Theory on Disney Playsets.

Postby MonkeyDLenny » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:02 pm

I was never a big MJ fan, but oh my god Captain EO would be hilarious to have in Infinity.

Though if I wanted any park character in, it'd be Figment and Dreamfinder

rank_250
MonkeyDLenny
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:

Postby shades_smiley » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:01 am

Also, in related news, Variety reported today that Disney has announced release dates for the next two Animation films: http://variety.com/2014/film/news/disney-animations-zootopia-moana-hitting-theaters-in-2016-1201352502/

"Zootopia" is March 4, 2016 and "Moana" is Nov 23, 2016.

I don't know a ton about either, but "Moana" is described as a "high seas adventure". Just in time for DI 4.0.

... Water mechanics in 4.0?

rank_100
shades_smiley
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Agent C » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:32 am

I really don't understand why they are staying away from their own franchises. I realize they intentionally place The Incredibles in 1.0 to gage an interest in a sequel, and Monster U had just come out so that made sense. This years playlets I cansomewhat understand with Guardians and Avengers.i know Spider-Man has his own cartoon, and that is what you are getting. However, I don't get why you don't toss at least the originals a playset.

By the way, they need formal up the playset a little better. Those games are not that good. They need to develope the stories if they are going to try to have one. If they won't do that, they may as well just focus on doing the disc games like the Thor one or something along that line.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby JaysUsername » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:55 pm

I really feel like 2.0 is a transition game where they are trying several different approaches to see which stick, which work and which don't.

I think there was some hope on their part that the new toy box engine would provide games that were as good as or good enough to replace playsets altogether. Maybe in 3.0 that will be the case...it would be amazing if playsets could just be created and delivered via the toy box, allowing for a continuous flow of playsets...ie every 2-3 months. Heck, once they had a great 'level' specific to a certain character set they could bring out different 'episodes' with new stories set in the same toy box. Again, this would mean a steady flow of gameplay for us.

To take it farther, imagine the Spidey playset was actually a toy box and on first release it was a story about Venom terrorizing the city and consisted of a decent story, several missions and a handful of challenges. Now, 2 months later another Spidey adventure pops up in the same toy box but with a new story, say Green Goblin with new missions, challenges, enemies and maybe a few new interiors to keep it fresh.

With three devolpment teams each working on a property, Star Wars, Marvel and Originals staggered a month apart you'd have a new 'playset' every month.

Now, combine the above with a slower figure release schedule...so a new figure to coincide with the new playset each month and you will always have something new and exciting coming out. Driving sales and keeping the game relevant.

Of course this hinges more on the Tron figure approach of 'pushing content' to the game after release rather than burying it on the disc. To me this is a great approach, meaning playsets don't all have to be wrapped up at launch and gives the devs more time to flesh them out.

Whew, enough for now....I haven't even touched on game discs!

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Previous

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions