2.0 reviews are in

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: 2.0 reviews are in

Postby GermanBoldItalic » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:53 pm

I really think it's unfair the toy box share is not being taken into consideration when people complain about the lack of play sets. Toy boxes can now be structured content with plots. There seems to be some fantastic toy boxes to download already and just think what people can create when they really get into the game? If someone links 10 toy boxes together, they've just created a pretty large game to play through. If it's a fun adventure, why does it have to come from a play set?

rank_250
GermanBoldItalic
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby tangled&tron » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:39 am

I pretty much agree with MickeyMousefit... IMO 2.0 is just a marvel license crash grab. At least 1.0 had a good variety with their playsets... and Avalanche didn't even make the best playset... I think Studio Gobo made the Pirates playset. IMO the very least Avalanche could have done was make the 1.0 playsets playable on the PS4/XBOX1 even if it meant turning off the new character leveling system while playing them... I bet a lot of people would have loved the excuse to replay them again. I mean all the assets are already there... even a lazy port would have been better than nothing. And seriously... what good is all those Disney Toy Box only figs? In the 100s of hours I've spent in the 1.0 toy box I only ever used 3 figs. >_>

rank_1000_ftb
tangled&tron

Postby herbhen » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:52 am

Having got the game on Thursday and starting off on playing the Avengers Play set, I won't lie It didn't grab my attention as much as the likes of Monsters Uni did in the original starter pack. I'm mixed on whether or not its because New York can look rather bland in places or whether or not its just cause they play very much similar to the 1.0 ones. Whether or not that's a bad thing I'll let you decide, but I can totally see where some critics are getting off on play sets not living up to expectation. Though giving the Avengers a bit more play time it really does pick up and become rather fun, with a few unexpected things along the way.

Where the game really really comes in to its own is in the Toy Box, my god finally all those 1.0 Toy box only figures are starting to get some use and I am actually finally invested in fully levelling up each and every single figure cause of their skill trees. I know the Toy box has always been at the heart of the games design but this game is really where that design ideology has come in to full force of play. Its ridiculously fun, and I've probably played more of 2.0 Toy box in the 2 days I've had the game, than I played in 1.0 in its entirety, the tutorials ease you in to things much easier, the INterior stuff is great with tonnes of Disney decorations etc (and the INterior stuff has its own missions) and I have found some real enjoyment in just sitting and downloading community toy boxes which are genuinely really really fun add all this with the fact that I haven't even touched the Toy box game discs yet, or even attempted to create my own toy box yet, its simply fantastic.

The Kotaku review posted by Jose mentions 2 key issues, being the cost implication and the loading times. I must admit I'm not one to usually complain about loading times but they do seem particularly long (though granted sometimes loading a heck of a lot of content) however cost was never an issue for myself with the original game nor is it with this one, as im sure is the same with most others on here.

Don't pay attention to some of the negative feedback on the game if you haven't bought it yet, if you enjoyed 1.0 you have nothing to worry about, if you don't like Marvel Characters, then the Toy Box pack in November is seriously a viable option, as the Toy Box is a vast improvement and upgrade!

rank_100
herbhen
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Spider-Man » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 am

I have heard a lot of bad reviews of things and then loved them anyway like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 for example! That movie got crushed in reviews and I LOVED IT!!!! So this will probably be similar.
"With great power comes great responsibility!" Quoted by Uncle Ben

rank_500
Spider-Man
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby LittleBabyBlue » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 pm

Just played a little so far and it's a mixed bag. The menus are as awful as ever. The figures quality is the same. The power disc packs give a better ratio of rares, and the fact that there are so many discs means that the chance of getting a double is less for kids with little disposable cash. The skydomes aren't as good as 1. No wow factor so far (missing 2). The playsets so far seems to be like DI 1. A lot of running around to pick up things and do repetitive tasks. Really missing the toy caps. Running around collecting the other things aren't as rewarding. The Interiors are really nice. Haven't played around in the TB much, but so far it looks a lot better and seems to be the focus of the game this turn.

rank_100
LittleBabyBlue

Postby Mattman763 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:29 pm

I really hope in the next game they add more playsets, I love the playsets and think they are the best part of the game for me.
We need dogs in infinity! Doug, Bolt, and Pluto would be awesome!

rank_100
Mattman763
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Razgriz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:26 pm

@Matt
Lack of playsets was like the main complaint of DI 1 and they actually went and cut that from 6 to 3(and two of those are basically a generic interchangeable location)

rank_100
Razgriz
Main Console: PS4

Postby monochrom » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 pm

I have played quite a bit, and I am still really unsure how I like this game. I quite like the playsets, but they are nowhere near as varied as in Disney Infinity 1.0, all three playsets are pretty much the same deal. A shame, really.

I didn't get the toybox the first time around, and so far I get it even less. Apparently I am an appalling builder, I still fall into the void all the time, I still don't know what to do most of the time. It all looks fun, but then isn't. Also, and I can't stress this enough, toy box builds by other people cannot compare to playsets at all, and I am beginning to really hate this argument. And then the toybox seems to be awfully buggy, the instructors in the starting toy box have stopped functioning twice, so I had to restart everything again. Also the menus are still a mystery to me, so I also managed to not save my starting twice. Now in my fifth starting toy box, doing everything from scratch again and feeling quite clueless.

I really hope that the people at Avalanche will focus more on playsets next time around, and also focus on making those playsets different.

The best thing about 2.0? The figures play really different this time around, and I am having loads of fun just goofing around with them.

rank_50
monochrom

Postby Iagut070 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Am I the only one who really didn't care much for the play sets in 1.0? I wanted to like them, but found them boring and no reason to play them except for unlocking toy box toys.

The starter pack play set trio was the worst.

Monsters University bored me to no end. There was only so many times I could TP the opposing school and un TP my school.

Pirates was for for a little because of the Open exploration with boats.

The Incredible was just beat up this guy, beat up that guy.

Cars interested me for a while as did Toy Story. Except I got annoyed in the Toy Story set with every alien every time wanting you to dress them up, or paint this differently. It was boring busy work.

The Lone Ranger set was solid though like a family friendly Red Dead Redemption.

I am sad to hear the collectables are gone this go round. But that's about it

I don't get how everyone is saying how amazing and varied they were, when sure there was variety in the areas, but still boring as hell.

rank_0
Iagut070
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys