Possible Disney Play Sets? [Play Nice Version]

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Possible Disney Play Sets? [Play Nice Version]

Postby SketchFox7 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 am

If there is an actual five character minimum, then they really shot themselves in the foot with Disney play sets when they didn't do a Big Hero 6 play set with all 6 of the heroes as figures (and the villain as well). From what I can see in the trailers, Hiro, Baymax, Gogo Tomago, Fredzilla, Honey Lemon, Wasabi No Ginger & Yokai would've been 7 very cool, unique figures. While I think that that limit could be on Marvel sets in 2.0, I don't think it'll be enforced in Disney play sets, I think 3 is more likely (notice the only play set in 1.0 to go under 3 was The Lone Ranger).
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

rank_500
SketchFox7
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Vidia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:26 am

3 would be a much more sensible limit for Disney properties. For most of them that's basically covered by the two leads and the villain.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia
Main Console: PS4

Postby Superboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:29 am

@zylek Where did the 5 char minimum for playsets come from? Of course, that would mean an FF play set w/ Silver Surfer is possible (but not likely as long as Fox has the movie rights).

The thing is, that would make most regular Disney properties pretty hard to put in a playset. I suppose Wreck-it Ralph with Felix and Calhoun coming with the playset piece and King Candy/Turbo sold separately could make it, but most Disney properties might have trouble with that. I don't think they would limit themselves that way.

rank_100
Superboy
PSN ID:

Postby zylek » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:31 am

I was just quoting the post two above mine

rank_0
zylek

Postby Superboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:34 am

Ah, I see it. So popularvote, where did this 5 char minimum come from? Like I said, I don' t think they would limi themselves that way.

rank_100
Superboy
PSN ID:

Postby Vidia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:47 am

The only similar quote I can think of is when they were talking about the Spider-Man playset and said they'd been looking for a version they could get five characters from. I don't recall it being applied to Disney though.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia

Postby BlackWidowFangirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:25 am

Honestly, I prefer the five characters or more situation.

Last year we got six play sets - the Incredibles had five characters, Cars had four, Pirates, Toy Story and MU had three and finally the Lone Ranger had two. For the later play sets we didn't have a lot of flexibility and choice for the play sets (for Lone Ranger it was a case of one or the other). However for 2.0 we get three play sets. Currently Spider-Man and GotG each have six characters to a play set (this includes the announced villain figures) and Avengers has seven. This allows a lot of flexibility and potential, especially since the play sets are larger, the characters have skills trees and there are some crossovers.

My perspective is that if they can't get many characters into a play set, don't make a play set for it. I am perfectly satisfied with the toy-box only characters because we have such a good range of characters, many of which would not have made a play set viable. I think that Big Hero 6 could have been a play set (but have all six heroes) and Gravity Falls has enough potential (but make more characters instead of just the two main characters) but some of the other properties wouldn't have made sense as play sets.

Personally I think that unless they can get out at least four characters for a playset, then they should stick to Toy Box only.
It's all about the supers.

rank_0
BlackWidowFangirl
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Infinityfan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 am

Each playset has got to have at least 5 playable a in 2.0. My main reason is now because of the knock out system in playsets. If there were only two then you'd have to restart quite a lot... :? Gravity Falls has a lot of characters that could be playable, if there was a playset any of these could be playable: Dipper (definite), Mabel (definite), Grunkle Stan, Soos, Lil Gideon and Wendy. That's 6 but Wendy should be a mission giver. There is also a lot of destinations that could be in the playset compared to a lot of Disney movies and TV shows.Gravity Falls would make a perfect playset, if not in 2.0 then 3.0! :D I really hope for at least 2 disney playsets...

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby SalmonPink » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 am

I have to admit, I still don't understand the knock-out-revival system. Do I really have to get out of bed and walk across the room to swap out figures if I get knocked out? My lazy butt is not looking forward to that! :lol:

I don't know that it's necessary to have 5 characters in each playset, although I agree it's nice to have more than 2. 3 or 4 seems fair, and opens up more Disney properties that could work as playsets. As examples (not wishlisting), if Aladdin was getting a playset (which I understand he isn't), you could have had Genie and Jafar figures in addition to Aladdin and Jasmine. If Mulan has a playset, there's Mulan, Shang, and Shan Yu (and potentially Mushu, although he might work better as a team-up disc). It seems more flexible without a 5 figure minimum. As mentioned, most Disney properties have at least two main characters and a villain that are substantial enough to warrant figures. I worry that putting such a high minimum would mean lots of movies that could make for fantastic gameplay would be ignored. I'd prefer quality over quantity - more creative playsets with fewer figures over playsets being chosen specifically because they can milk more figures from the property.

Definitely agree that Big Hero 6 seems like a missed opportunity, though. The more recent Disney films have been increasing in box office numbers with each release - I'd say Big Hero 6 is as good a bet as Guardians Of The Galaxy was when it comes to being a hit. Wee bit gutted I won't get to play as Gogo. :cry:

rank_250
SalmonPink
Main Console: PS3

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys