Disney Parks RFID MagicBand and Disney Infinity?

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Disney Parks RFID MagicBand and Disney Infinity?

Postby Sheriff Woody » Thu May 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Disney Parks and Resorts chairman Tom Staggs spoke recently on the MyMagic+ experience being developed for Disney Parks and hinted at possible integration with Disney Infinity.

When asked whether there was potential for the MagicBand outside Walt Disney World (Staggs indicated that all resorts worldwide will be receiving some variation on the MyMagic+ experience), Staggs responded by making a strong reference to the upcoming Disney Infinity, which makes use of RFID technology through a reader:

"As an example, I think that seeing something like that tie into other Disney experiences both makes sense and is something that we’re thinking about. And one of the things that we know is that — and Bob Iger said this two years ago — people have no interest in consuming the Disney org chart, they want to have a relationship with Disney overall and so it’s important for us to be integrated in that way. So one of the things we've got — and I won’t make a specific announcement — but [Disney] Infinity is coming out, which is the new game with the playables, so that’s an opportunity to think about how [the MagicBand] might enable something else in the game, so that’s something we've got in mind and I’ll let John Pleasants announce that in a few weeks time."

Source: Stitchkingdom.com

direct link to a full video interview explanation Disney Infinity comment above is around the 17:30 mark

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Disney Parks RFID MagicBand and Disney Infinity?

Postby jhk54 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 pm

What is the MagicBand?
To Infinity And Beyond!

rank_100
jhk54

Postby RobotGhost » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 pm

yeah I wonder what MagicBand is as well
Back to the Drawing Board!

rank_100
RobotGhost

Postby mightyman335 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 pm

MagicBand is basically a next gen park ticket. Instead of having a different ticket for your hotel key, park ticket, etc., all you need to do is wear a wristband and that will allow you entry into your hotel room and the parks. The band can also be used to give Disney information about yourself. With this information, they can add some extra magic to your trip. The example they gave was that a character would know your name before even greeting you by just getting information off your wristband. It is pretty cool. InsidetheMagic goes more in depth and can explain it better but that is the gist of things.
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/01/walt-disney-world-announces-mymagic-with-magicband-adding-nextgen-access-to-theme-parks-fastpass-and-interactivity/ here is the article.

rank_0
mightyman335
Location: Steel City, where the citizens bleed black and gold.
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby Sheriff Woody » Thu May 30, 2013 7:43 pm

direct link to a full video interview explanation Disney Infinity comment above is around the 17:30 mark

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Destroy-it-Stitch » Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I wonder how the MagicBand would affect gameplay. Maybe it'll take the information from the band and add new exclusive toys to the toybox or something. Maybe it'll work as a Disney parks playset. I doubt that second one though.
"If I had a nickel for every time I've been doomed by a puppet, I would have two nickels."

rank_0
Destroy-it-Stitch
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Sheriff Woody » Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 pm

^ " ... and I’ll let John Pleasants announce that in a few weeks time." E3 ;)

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby mdewater » Fri May 31, 2013 2:55 am

I've been following the MyMagic+ project for quite some time now, so it's exciting to see it finally revealed, although certainly not fully. And it's very cool to hear that they plan to somehow incorporate Infinity with this. I'd love to see them bring the figures into the park. Bring your Jack Sparrow figure and tap him on the Fastpass chip to get a free Fastpass on Pirates of the Caribbean!

rank_100
mdewater

Postby superspongebob » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:12 am

Not really sure on the whole magic band thing in the parks tbh, I believe it may restrict us to much to times as a family when we visit as far as fast passes etc go but I do like the idea of it in Infinity somehow.
I wonder whether they may tie it to the resorts, so for instance if you stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge then it recognises this and allows you to have something related in the game, i.e making them a collectible resort item similar to a pin badge idea.

rank_50
superspongebob

Next

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys