Guardians of the Galaxy play set chances?

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy play set chances?

Postby Doc Jump » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm not sure about a majority, but yeah I've seen lots of praise for it. Here's hoping that it moves some sales for Lone Ranger merch and such among kids; it sure as hell didn't make me buy any Lone Ranger hats or such, but its such a lofty marketing attempt I can't help but respect it.

Looking forward to an Oz sequel playset for similar reasons, although it did financially pretty well.

rank_750
Doc Jump
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby Sorcerer Abe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:29 am

I think you guys are forgetting something very crucial and important. Programming a game takes time and making the figures as well. Disney infinity was suppose to release early 2013 but got pushed back to an August release. Disney was anticipating Lone Ranger to be a big success. You had Jerry Bruckheimer and a big chunk of the Pirates of the Caribbean film team, not to mention Johnny Depp to really hype it up. Disney thought it was in the bag. Then they announced the Lone Ranger characters for DI before the movie even came out. Lone Ranger released to theaters early July, bombs, and I'm sure the figures were already made by then and the game already programmed since DI would release in August. You can't just not release the DI characters or erase them from the game so close to release. Side note... I think the Lone Ranger playset was the best, so something good did come from that.

Now the not so great and powerful Oz? That released to theaters early March. Plenty of time to tell China not to produce those figures, plenty of time to erase it from the game. It's easier to delete then to program so that's why we don't see Oz in the game.

As for GOTG? I don't want to sound like Disney thinking its a for sure hit like TLR, but...it's a for sure hit! You got the Marvel team to count on to make sure it works out. You have the success of all the other movies for more support. Not to mention the Gaurdians have a key role in avengers 3 working. That's right, 3 not 2. They are all leading up to the infinity gauntlet from the comics (totally different "infinity"). You had the the Tesseract from phase one Marvel and Avengers, in Thor 2 you have someone chasing the Aethor, and now in GOTG you See Star Lord trying to grab this mysterious blue orb Indiana Jones style. That makes 3 gems of 6 for the infinity gauntlet. So that's my speculation why it's gonna happen.

Anyways, aside from everything I just said, the real reason why we will definetly have a GOTG playset...ROCKET! I mean come on!!! It's a machine gun shooting Raccoon for Pete's sake! Lol!

Anyways, that my 2 cents! Sorry it was long! :(
Disney Infinity.....My Anti-Drug!

HAVE FUN X INFINITY

rank_100
Sorcerer Abe
Main Console: PS4

Postby putz2000 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Great response. That's why I put the percentage chances at 90%. Strictly marketing and production reasons. Disney is the master when it comes to this stuff. As much as alone Ranger may have bombed at the box office they know how to get their money other ways. Guardians of the Galaxy plays a huge role in the future success of the Marvel universe for Disney. That's one of the reasons my bet is on seeing G.O.G. in DI2 and we may not see Avengers until DI3, when the next movie comes out.
I NEED A ROGER RABBIT PLAYSETthey call me favouredtrash01

rank_50
putz2000

Postby JustNCredible » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:09 pm

You guys must be joking to say that The Lone Ranger playset was better than The Pirates of The Caribbean playset, I mean c'mon! "They're sinkin, captain!" lol I have to say Pirates was the least tedious (dingy not withstanding) of all the playsets, plus it had the biggest game mechanic, sailing!

Sorcerer Abe pretty much hit the nail on the head with everything. The timing is perfect, Disney will I'm sure want to showcase it's new acquisitions of Marvel and Star Wars, and I think Rocket Raccoon is going to be the next big thing with kids (despite how plain the other characters look to me).

As far as Star Wars goes, I kind of hope they do use the Rebels theme; it would be nice to have fresh characters and they could still add Darth Vader, since he will I'm sure make cameo's in the show. Plus the new villain looks pretty sweet.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby shiftyraccoon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I thought the Pirates set wasn't as good as Lone Ranger too. It just seemed... boring I guess

rank_750_ftb
shiftyraccoon

Postby Nikasaurus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:24 pm

The problem with Guardians of the Galaxy is that it would be way to similar to Star Wars and let's face it, they're more likely to do Star Wars than Guardians of the Galaxy. But if they were to do Guardians this year and Star Wars next year with release of Episode VII, it may work.

rank_100
Nikasaurus
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby bloxxerman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

Personally with regards to super heroes, I think we have a much, MUCH bigger chance of seeing Big Hero 6 or Age of Ultron than Guardians of the Galaxy. Or a play set based on the cartoons, like Ultimate Spiderman or Agents of Smash.

I think if we see them at all, it will be Toy Box only figures. But hey, who knows? Even if I'm right, if it's a success, there's bound to be a number 2. I thought they were making play sets for all the movies in the year to the next one when I first heard about it. So I thought Muppets Most Wanted, Cap 2, GOTG, and all that would be in DI1. That's what I think they should do. Plus classics of course! I would KILL for a Stitch figure.
Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Lotso
bloxxerman
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Guardians of the Galaxy play set chances?

Postby SketchFox7 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:23 am

I think the chances are good, I think 2.0's Starter Pack (if it has one) will come with Captain America (Avengers Play Set), Rocket Raccoon (Guardians of the Galaxy Play Set) & Hiro Hamada or Baymax (Big Hero 6 Playset) with the 3 Play Sets on one Play Set Piece like the original Starter Pack. With other Disney properties in the additional Play Sets (Star Wars for 3.0).
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

rank_500
SketchFox7
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Romulus77 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:15 am

I think they'll skip GotG simply because it doesn't offer anything unique for Infinity IMO. Characters that primarily use guns and knives and space settings that don't lend themselves to a single playset.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys