Disney Infinity Marvel and Star Wars sets in development

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Disney Infinity Marvel and Star Wars sets in development

Postby Agent P » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 am

Would Infinity have access to all Marvel properties? Or just the ones that they use in the shared movie universe?
Example...Avengers are in, X-Men not.

rank_0
Agent P
Main Console: PS4

Postby gtcarlson » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 am

Disney owns Marvel Entertainment, but from what I can see they didn't take over the movie contracts for X-Men and such but the do have rights to all the characters. So to answer your question they have the rights to release any character under the Marvel umbrella, who knows if they will though.

rank_0
gtcarlson
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 am

There is a difference between "movie" & "character" with Marvel, as for example, Disney released a Vinylmation series last year with comic book versions of characters like nick fury rather than using the movie versions... same i would assume for cartoons like the newish spiderman on XD...

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby OffBrandCereal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Here's what I would like to see happen:

I realize that star wars is a huge franchise of multiple movies and characters, but as we have seen, Disney doesn't use every character with a speaking part (I'm upset because Olaf isn't a figure). Therefore, even though there are many beloved star wars characters, I see us getting maybe 4-6 max. As much as I'd like to see c-3po, chewy, or even a jar jar binks, I don't think they are as likely. Disney has also said that they want to have a diversity of characters, not just different skins. Therefore, I don't really see us getting multiple jedis because they are essentially all the same powers.

This brings me to my next point, I see us hopefully getting a lot more marvel characters. All of their powers are so diverse, and each one can bring a lot to the toy box. Thats why we got so many Incredibles figures is because they all have very different powers, and each one brings something very diverse, as opposed to having 3 pirates characters who are all essentially the same (not that I'm mad about that. the pirates characters are my favorite but thats beside the point).

As far as having a separate version of infinity for marvel and star wars, I'm praying that does not happen. The beautiful thing about infinity is that they all go together; the figures all look uniform and you can have Sully side by side with Deadpool if you want to(i'm hoping he gets in). If you are uncomfortable with that idea, the other wonderful thing is that you don't ever have to put them on the pad together if you don't want to (or even buy the figures at all). I feel by separating them, we will be losing the thing that makes this game so amazing. We might not get all the marvel characters/star wars characters that we want in DI2, but if we keep buying, they'll keep making. and in DI3 we can get the more obscure characters if we demand hard enough.

I think Disney has heard loud and clear that we want more classics for infinity, and i'm willing to bet my whole collection that they deliver on that next round. They will do the same with marvel and star wars. I think modeltrainman has singlehandedly put the idea of Rex in the heads of every single programmer of infinity and i think the same will happen with our favorite marvel and star wars characters. Johnny V has made it clear that he reads these forums, and why wouldn't they? We are the ones buying the characters, and we are telling them exactly what we want. and with that said, please make a br'er rabbit. That is all

tl;dr

-we will probz have fewer star wars characters than marvel characters
-i hope there aren't separate versions for marvel/starwars
-if we want characters, vocalize it.
Bringing Disney Afternoon to Infinity, one post at a time.

rank_50
OffBrandCereal
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Modeltrainman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Avalanche Software is the best game dev!
Avalanche's #1 Fan

Lotso Rex
Modeltrainman
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby KillingRaptor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm

I hope that somehow General Grievous makes it in for Star Wars characters. Reason? He fights with 4 lightsabers, how awesome is that? Him, Darth Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbacca and Boba Fett would be my top choices.
As for Marvel I want my favorite character in there and that's Deadpool.
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ntnon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm

I wonder how the various non-Disney Marvel film properties will be handled, too. Although Disney owns Marvel outright, and hence all characters, the contracts with Fox and Sony pre-date the deal, and have tied Spider-man and X-Men (maybe F4, Deadpool, Daredevil, Blade and Ghost Rider, too) to NOT-Disney as film properties.

That ought not to affect things here, excepting that most film contracts these days include sub-licensing deals for videogames, so there's the outside possibility of legal oddities over some characters. Slim possibility, but still.

That's one reason I suspect there will be a pointed differentiation between the three strands - bear in mind also that Fox retains some portion of Star Wars: A New Hope, which news reports talking about the LucasFilm deal made clear was going to have to be subject to separate future collaboratihve negotiations between the studios.

The second, possibly unimportant reason, is that - just as there are people here baulking at the idea of three separate entities - there may well be resistence from some SWars or Marvel fans over buying a "Disney" game... In addition, the Disney-made comments about brand separation within DI (i.e. no playset crossover) really strongly implies that crossover between three distinct entities may be undesirable.

For every person who doesn't want to buy three separate games, there are bound to be people who don't like the idea of being lumbered with one or more theoretical games that they have no interest in (and are technically paying for - surely a triple game will cost more than each separate one alone). Moreover, the colletor mentality - evidenced here, and moreso from comics fans - might make having a triple game too much temptation for some buyers, who wuld therefore prefer just one set.

Perhaps the best option to make EVERYONE happy would be mix-and-match options: multiple launch sets in various combinations. However, that would confuse the marketplace. Marvel Infinity, Disney Infinity and Star Wars Infnity is not confusing. If you want one, you can get it. If you want all three... get all three. If you can't afford them all, then sadly, that's tough. If there's "only one playset" you want to play, then personally I can only suggest that the game is not for you!

The idea that there aren't enough characters to sustain a Solo Star Wars game is unlikely. Just focusing on the main trilogy, one could easily imagine a dozen characters with wide name recognition, maybe twenty secondary characters and character-types (Jawa). Include the other trilogy, and you add a couple of dozen more and you haven't even touched on the TV series' new characters, the likely hoardes in the upcoming trilogy and then the expanded universe of comics and novels and prior videogames. There are as many SWars characters as Marvel ones, give or take. And a whole separate fanbase to buy them all.

In addition to the size of the game in all three were to be combined - and bear in mind that we are expecting innovations in DI2 (water, etc.) - there's the future pitfalls of updates to playsets/characters that would need to be forced on people who not only don't have them, but have no interest in them. There WILL be people who only want Disney OR Marvel OR Star Wars, who wouldn't need all the cross-polination. There's staffing issues - there will be separate teams working on all three strands, trying to re-combine everything could be a horrendous headache; Disney already run Marvel (and probably LucasFilm) as a semi-separate entity, it makes sense that the games will be, too.

It may be that the base(s) are indentical and interchangeable, but I could see that being confusing IF the games are separate - already we have Cars who cannot do everything the human characters can, how more confusing would it be if there were whole series' of characters that couldn't be used at various points. Much easier to make it obvious by shape which items can be used in which game. IF, as I suspect (and tacitly hope) the games are different.

rank_500
ntnon
Main Console: PS3

Postby Maserati777 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:14 pm

In terms of figures they could release 6.

Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
C-3P0
Chewbacca
Darth Vader
Princess Leia

For Marvel they should release

Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Iron Man
Spiderman
Black Widow

rank_250
Maserati777
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby bloxxerman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Replace spider man with Hawkeye, then you've got the Avengers! IMO they should have an avengers playset, cap 2 playset, guardians of the galaxy, ultimate Spider-Man, x-men and fantastic four play sets.
Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Lotso
bloxxerman
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys