Anywhere to find out about upcoming playsets and ideas?

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Anywhere to find out about upcoming playsets and ideas?

Postby AchillesPDX » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:20 pm

@Draculin we obviously disagree here, and that's totally fine, but you have to understand the difference between a normal game having updates for bugs and content and Disney Infinity. When a normal game gets updates and patches usually it's to fix multiplayer or to fix some glaring problem with the game. If someone doesn't have internet access, they wouldn't be playing the multiplayer anyway and therefore wouldn't usually need the updates and patches that go along with it. Infinity is different though - there will be lots of people who buy the game to play with their kids who don't have internet access or are stuck on dialup out in the sticks, and they'll be totally happy not playing online because there's a ton of content in the game. The problem arises then when new physical content requires updating the game to function - tons of people without access to broadband (and there are lots in the US) won't be able to play with those new figures or playsets.

The only way around these problems would be for Disney to include a disc with the new content that could update the game, but this seems logistically impossible because you'd have to include separate discs for Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3. The only other solution would be to print in HUGE TEXT on the new figure or playset that says "THIS TOY REQUIRES AN INTERNET CONNECTED CONSOLE TO FUNCTION." But my guess is that they'd still have a lot of wibbled-off people.

rank_50
AchillesPDX
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Unhearted55 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:23 pm

@draculin I'm with you on this I'm sure there will be more playsets and figures and more power discs in the future. Nothing is impossible plus I will be getting DI 2 so yeah.

rank_100
Unhearted55
Main Console: PS3

Postby Simian » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 pm

I remember disney saying before that all content would be on disc which was a bit of a shame because they knew people would look at the files and spoil some surprises but that they didn't want to limit Infinity to only those with Internet. Perhaps there are files that are named something else or maybe that's why they revealed series two, so they could still surprise some. Perhaps they will release more as DLC with the promise that the next game would support them, so those with Internet would have early access. I doubt it, but it is an option.

rank_0
Simian

Postby FROZOFAN » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:45 pm

Considering they put out the regular Wii version which lacks many key things, including a watered down toy box, I don't see why you think Disney would limit a few and serve the masses? Originally Microsoft was releasing THEIR BRAND NEW CONSOLE that REQUIRED an Internet connection to function, you can see the digital shift coming. DLC is just very common now, sure it sucks for those who cannot have Internet access, but sometimes things just aren't fair. People bought DI and as long as Disney gave people what the paid for, they can add whatever else they want to the game at a later date. And yes, we already see labels that say "Internet connection required for play" for many different toys and games aimed at young children. I've seen batman toys that interact with iPads, what if little billy wants so bad to play with that but mom doesn't own an iPad? You can't limit your market just because some people don't have something.

rank_250
FROZOFAN
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby gndbojo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Disney wouldn't necessarily have to limit their updates to be online only. They could include a CD with a figure or playset which contains the required update. Or even a slip of paper with the new toy on how to obtain a free update CD. I'm confident that if Disney intends to release more characters and playsets that they already have this figured out.
Wreck-It Ralph: "When did video games become so violent and scary?"

rank_0
gndbojo

Postby Explicit » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 pm

What is worry some is that after January when Mickey releases, based off the PS3 files, I don't see anything else being released until either DI2 comes out or they add more through an update. I know they had come out and stated all the files would be on the disc, but the model can't be that badly set-up. I don't see a patched update happening to include more play sets, but I hope I'm wrong.

rank_100
Explicit
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby Royi » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 pm

They are averaging about one Skylanders game a year:
Spyro's Adventure: October 12, 2011
Skylander's Giants: October 17, 2012
Skylander's SWAP Force: October 13, 2013

Wouldn't be surprised if Disney Infinity were to follow this model as well. Especially if the sales and the demand is there (which I think it will be). I would be suprised though if Toy Story was the last Playset. I think by releasing it in October, they simply will not go 10 months or so without another Playset.

rank_50
Royi

Postby ImGonnaWreckIt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:48 pm

1/3 of US homes don't have broadband. That has never stopped anyone from limiting downloadable content. If Disney sees a lane to make it happen they will and I believe it's gonna happen.
Twitter - gvasenjr

rank_250
ImGonnaWreckIt
Main Console: PS4

Postby Caliaztec » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Caliaztec
Main Console: Xbox One

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys