moana playset screenshots, figure images

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: moana playset screenshots, figure images

Postby vynsane » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Sorry, incorrectly transferred the shortened form to read as $1,74,000 instead of $147,000,000, transposed the 4 and 7 and then put the decimal in the wrong place - like I said, what do I know about the world of high finance. Or math, for that matter ;)

Regardless, obviously Disney corporate didn't find that loss to be unpalatable. I don't understand the decision, but that doesn't make it the wrong decision, I suppose. It still feels as though other areas of the company were more to blame for the poor performance that ultimately caused this decision, and DI was thrown under the bus as a result.

rank_100
vynsane
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Infinity Guru » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Out of all these leaks, this one hit me the hardest. I have a feeling Moana was going to be a great film, and the fact we have pictures of completed figures and a beautiful PLAYSET makes the cancellation so sad (think of all the hard work that went into making these, and no one will ever get to see them). 3.0 was the end of the whole "Introduction phase" of Infinity. I would have loved to see these figures and Peter Pan on my shelf.

All of these leaks make me curious to know Disney's reasoning behind the cancellation, but more importantly the numbers that made the decision happen so fast.
8 Featured Toy Boxes. Toy Box Summit 2015 Attendee.

rank_250_ftb
Infinity Guru
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:56 am

Darn it.
That looked like it would have been a really nice playset.

How far along in production with the Moana playset were they?
One of those images shows the crystal piece and Moana in the box package, so they must have been close.
And the number is 3.0, so it must have been due out soon, most likely at the same time the movie comes out.

I'm guessing we're going to be seeing lots of things that make us say, how cool is that and cry that we aren't getting them at the same time.

I wonder if they had started any preliminary work for 4.0 or was it too late for that?

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 am

Some actaul moving footage. The water is ( was ) beautiful.

The Dory playset was described as 3.5, and Moana as 4.0 I believe.

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Muffin Man » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:57 am

It's just so typical that right when we were finally finally FINALLY going to get a playset based on a core Disney Animation property it got canned just as it neared completion. And yet of course the sixth Pixar playset would just barely manage to scrape through while Disney Animation's first playset got the shaft...

rank_50
Muffin Man
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Tilarta » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:25 am

I suspect it was just incredibly bad timing to blame.

We got the Pixar playset because the Finding Dory movie came out just before the cutoff time.

Moana on the other hand, isn't due out until the end of the year, so the playset release was most likely scheduled for that time.
The time when Disney Infinity is one month away from going bye-bye.
If the release date had been 6 months earlier, then maybe we've have gotten both instead of one.

Mind you, if I was in charge of this, I'd say, look, you've done most of the work on the playset, let's get it finished and get it into the market as one last gift to our dedicated fans/players.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby BionicKoalaBoy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 am

Unfortunately it was about cutting losses by that point. There have been thousands of video games that were completed but never released for various reasons ( Half-life on Sega Dreamcast for one ). But It's all to do with manufacture and advertising costs and projected returns. Plus in this case the manufacture of more figures would have been necessary too.

They knew consumers would jump ship when 'the announcement' was made, and it was just cheaper to cut their losses than continue production of a 'dead' franchise just to keep a few fanboys happy. Go in any store now and if you can find Dory or Nemo, they're next to the scant other figures left in stock which are heavily discounted to clear.

Also if we'd got Maona, we'd have then complained about not then getting whatever else was on the upcoming film schedule after that.

- It had to end somewhere, and we should just be grateful for the ride we had. As the consumers our buying habits drove the model, not our wishes or feelings. The money men at Disney never gave a monkeys about that. And to be honest even though the environments look beautiful in Moana, how much action and game transferable events are there in it? I would rather had a much improved and detailed play-set based on Incredibles 2, Cars 3 or something more action based ;)

rank_250
BionicKoalaBoy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Tilarta » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:10 am

Gigantic, November 21, 2018.
Coco, November 22, 2017.
Neither of those would have made it before the cutoff date.

Pete's Dragon, August 12, 2016.
That's the only other one that might have been included, due to timing.

Incredibles 2, June 21, 2019.
Unfortunately, they'd have never made the cutoff, not even slightly!

So it's not about wishing for what we want, but taking what we could have gotten.

rank_250
Tilarta
PSN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Maserati777 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 am

It's kind of ironic Disney depends on all(If not more) of it's income from the fans, but doesn't really care about them.

rank_250
Maserati777
Main Console: Xbox 360

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys