Alice and Mad hatter confirmed by Disney Infinity France

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Alice and Mad hatter confirmed by Disney Infinity France

Postby TheANvil » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:03 pm

I fully expected Marvel and Star Wars to have a presence in Infinity. I didn't at all expect them to go completely overboard on it. Star Wars and Marvel are essentially individual IPs, akin to any one disney IP. So I expected maybe 10 at most of each.

On what planet could anyone have expected them to load up on 3rd rate characters like Falcon, Yondu, Star Wars Rebels etc?

I also heavily disagree that 1.0 was "almost completely full of modern era characters". Out of the 6 playsets in Infinity, Lone Ranger and Monsters University were the only ones that were done for (at the time) current-tie in promotional purposes. Toy Story in Space wasn't at all tied to Toy Story 3, nor Cars for Cars 2. Pirates and Incredibles hadn't seen new films in half a decade or more by the time 1.0 was released.

In 2.0? All 3 were current tie-ins. For 3.0? It's looking like all 6 are current tie-ins.

rank_250
TheANvil
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:43 pm

That's on you then and your expectations. Star Wars and Marvel are nowhere close to being on par with individual Disney films. These are large universes of characters. To think we'd only get a handful is foolish. Considering the rampant demand for more Marvel and Star Wars from fans even on top of what's already out, how would 10 even come close to being satisfactory?

Prominent characters in current films and TV shows? Yeah, who wouldathunkit? (Which I find ironic considering you are championing Gravity Falls in another thread. How is it different from Rebels? Are they 3rd rate Disney characters?) And yeah, there were complaints about Falcon and Yondu, but I haven't heard any about getting Rebels, moreso that they DIDN'T get a playset and more characters. lol

I guess our definition of "modern" differs. When there are Disney characters going back 70+ years, I don't consider tie-ins to movies from the last decade as "classic". And you can say that Toy Story and Cars weren't tied to their more recent films, but inclusions in the assets of the game clearly point to those films. Holley and Francesco certainly weren't in the first Cars.

They've never done a "classic" playset so it should come as no surprise that there still isn't one being made.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby Vidia » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Surprising? No. Disappointing? Incredibly!
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia
Main Console: PS4

Postby TheANvil » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Frankly, this is Disney Infinity. I know Star Wars and Marvel are now parented by Disney, and I'm fine with that. I would have embraced sensible quantities of Marvel and Star Wars characters. But when we've got more of them (at least in relation to when they debuted in the game's lifespan) than we have of actual Disney characters (if you exclude Pixar), how could I have expected that from endeavouring into the first game?

They're making characters from Marvel and Star Wars that the average joe won't have heard of, Kanan, Yondu? We can't even get Goofy. We can't even get Peter Pan without it being decided by a committee outside of the core DI team. There's something EXTREMELY wrong with that.

Star Wars is a big IP sure, one of the biggest movie franchises out there. But it's not a huge deal bigger than Pirates or Toy Story. Certainly not to the degree where it has approx 7 times the number of characters of them.

rank_250
TheANvil
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:32 pm

1.0 was Pixar/Live Action focused. It was never about classic Disney. Even looking at the Disney characters, only one really classifies as "classic". It was always about the more recent and popular characters in the mainstream.

The constant surprise at this amazes me. It was basically all laid out from the beginning.

Would the average joe know who Dipper and Mabel are? I bet there's more of a chance at the average joe knowing Yondu over say, Oswald.

There's a big difference between not getting a character YET and not being able to get them at all. It's a series of games. They can't include everyone in the first or second or even third one.

But I guess I need to stop here. Because if you seriously cannot see why Star Wars would have a bigger presence in the game than Toy Story, I got nowhere left to go.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby Infinityfan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:29 pm

@TheAnvil, It's obvious they're waiting til 4.0 to add Goofy and probably Daisy and Pluto. They can't just add all 5/6 of the main Disney characters in the first few games. I'm nearly 100% sure Goofy will be in the game by 4.0. That's why no ones worried about him not getting in.

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby GuyCC75 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 am

@TheANvil: Ehhhh, I'm going to have to argue for Rebels. Two seasons in, they've done a marvelous job of fan service and storytelling.

Star Wars and Marvel character databases are HUGE. I can see why they could/would do more than 10, and many of these characters range from 40-70 years old anyway. They are "classics" in their own right as well. Just not traditional Disney. Frankly, there are still more Marvel and Star Wars to be tapped.

I agree that they couldn't dump EVERYONE in any one version. That would be an obscene amount of characters to try and collect, and you need something to look forward to.

But I do think classic Disney is underrepresented, and I hope in 4.0 they will better balance that out.

I also wish they would drop some trailers for anything that has been "in the works" for the last 6-8 months that have already been leaked. They dropped the Force Awakens trailer at the last second. They still haven't announced Battlegrounds properly, or any of the obvious characters coming for it.

rank_250
GuyCC75
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Vidia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:50 am

I really don't like the argument of "just because they're not in the game now doesn't mean we won't get them eventually".

Let's use the Disney Princesses as an example. Taking into account the fact that Anna and Elsa aren't actually considered part of the franchise, we've only had four of the eleven Princesses. Rapunzel in 1.0, Merida and Jasmine in 2.0, and Mulan in 3.0. Now let's be generous and assume that this 1-2 pattern continues. So we'd get two in 4.0, one in 5.0, two in 6.0, one in 7.0, and two in 8.0 (and yes, I know that makes twelve, but I'm assuming the addition of Moana). That would mean we wouldn't get the full Princess lineup until 2020, assuming one game every year.

It's all well and good to say "oh yeah, you'll get Cinderella eventually", but when we're talking about it potentially being that far down the line then it becomes pretty meaningless.

It's even worse for poor Alice. If the Burton versions do get into the game then her chances drop through the floor. Sure we might get her eventually, but I'm pretty sure we'll have already gotten figures of Slue-Foot Sue, Fflewddur Fflam and Grace Martin by then.

Incidentally fifty points for anyone who didn't have to google any of those names.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia

Postby Elmo STM » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:08 am

We could get the live action Alice and the classic (as a variant, which would be a great idea imho)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys