Light FX figures

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Light FX figures

Postby Django » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:48 pm

anyone planning on lightly sanding the saber blade so it catches the light more like a edge lit acrylic sign?

rank_0
Django
Main Console: PS3

Postby gel » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:17 am

I haven't thought about sanding, but I did think about modding it with a hollow blade with reflective film inside, or using a slightly opaque white blade (those methods are how custom sabers work). Just sanding it to frost it might be a good idea, though.

Anyway, hi everyone! First time posting.

So I mostly play on pc, even though I have consoles. I have some figures just because I like the figures, and I was into the idea of Light FX figures. After getting the first 3 (Yoda, Anakin, Obi-Wan), I realized just how Disney got it all to work.

Remember how John Vignocchi talked about their difficulties getting lightsabers to light up? Well it clearly wasn't due to induction being an issue. That tech has been around a while. So the problem was that the base only outputs a low amount of power, and they didn't want cheap, dimly lit lightsabers. Their compromise? Slowly pulsing sabers.

I can feel the disappointment from some folks here, as too was disappointed in the slow, heartbeat like pulse of the sabers. But why do they do this? Was it just a visual choice? No.

The base outputs power at too low a current. This just means that a "constant on" lightsaber would be very dim, almost not lit up except for an extremely dark room. It's like water flowing out slowly from a faucet. So they solved this with a capacitor.

Side note: I have no electrical training and had to do a lot of research just to understand the stuff I'm saying right now.

A capacitor builds up electricity and then discharges it, like filling a balloon up with water, then releasing it. The result is the saber pulses slowly.

Well, we can't do anything about it on the base. It's just going to be a slow pulse unless they ever release a better base (the base in 3.0 is the same base they used in 1.0; it hasn't changed technically). But what about for display?

Like I said, I don't use the base anyway since I play on pc. But to display the figures, I'd like some way to keep them lit. Ideally I'd like for it to look better than the base. The base uses induction. What else does induction? Wireless phone chargers. I have a few for my Qi-enabled phone, so, using my low knowledge of how capacitors and voltage works, I cautiously placed Yoda on my USB phone charging pad.The lightsaber lit up! Not only that, it pulsed much faster, almost to the point where it looks like a lightsaber's pulse. I sometimes can't tell that it's pulsing, BUT it is pulsing and that's good. (Pulsing means it's still filling up a capacitor and then discharging the electricity. If it wasn't pulsing, it would mean the capacitor is at a constantly full state and might overheat and/or explode.)

But it looks great! So, I can't guarantee the safety of yourself or your figures, so I won't suggest that you do anything. But I have my figures on phone chargers and they look great. They look better than the Infinity base by far. But they don't work with unopened figures in the box, at least not the chargers I have (they don't seem to output power as far as the Infinity base).

Here's a pic of Yoda!

rank_0
gel
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Conscience1940 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:04 pm

All I know is, Canada isn't feeling the DI love!

We didn't get Sabine Wren on release and the FX figures, like second wave Amibos, are like a Lochness Monster sighting.

Wasn't JV critical of Nintendo?!? As we all anticipate The Force Awakens, I am also hoping DI forces more love to Canada!!!

rank_50
Conscience1940
Main Console: PS4

Postby ElvisRV » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:39 am

You probably didn't get Sabine because all of your Targets closed and they didn't have another retailer lined up
I'm a big fan of Pixar and Disney Movies, and the Skylanders games. The Cars franchise and Ratatouille are my favorite Pixar movies. Paperman is my favorite thing to ever come out of Disney!
Credit goes to toops for my avatar!

rank_500
ElvisRV
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Romulus77 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:27 am

They can't force retailers to order and/or stock the figures.

I'd imagine that a whole other line of figures on pegs right next to the existing ones was a tough sell. But making each figure exclusive to one retailer gave them the incentive to buy them.

Sometimes an exclusive is simply the only way to get something bought by a retailer.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby Stitch » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:35 pm

I am going to get some of these for Christmas. I have seen videos but I am sure nothing but seeing it in person will do it justice :)

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby gel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:56 am

@Stitch You could take a look at a Target kiosk and place the Light FX Yoda on it. I find Yoda brighter than both Anakin and Obi-Wan (it might be due to blue LEDs looking darker). The pulsing is unattractive to me, so while I get why they did it that way, it's unsatisfactory to me to have that on display. I prefer using the wireless phone chargers I mentioned above, as they look great to me.

rank_0
gel
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Outsider » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:58 am

Does anybody here know if they're being released in belgium / the netherlands?

rank_50
Outsider
Main Console: PS3

Postby caspartt » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:50 am

@Outsider I have ordered them from amazon.fr and I am in the UK. I am sure you will be able to do the same in Belgium

rank_100
caspartt
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys