Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters!

Re: Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters

Postby The Scientist » Wed May 20, 2015 11:31 pm

I agree completely with upgrading old content, you have my invisible vote :)

Some info for you guys, in the game world there is an actual term for what DI is doing. It's called Power Creep, it's where new content comes in and somewhat replaces or overshadows the old content. This can be bad for the longevity of the game(How long the game lasts), and in extreme cases has caused games to completely die or fail.

Wiki Definition - [Power creep is the gradual unbalancing of a game due to successive releases of new content.[1] The phenomenon may be caused by a number of different factors and, in extreme cases, can be damaging to the longevity of the game in which it takes place.

As new expansions or updates are released, new game mechanics, units, equipment and/or effects are introduced, usually stronger than previously existing content. Game developers use this primarily to push the new content, as it gives an incentive to buy it for competitions against other players or as new challenges for the single player experience. As new content with more power is introduced, the average powerlevel within the game rises, making it increasingly difficult for older content to remain in balance without changes. This means older content becomes regressively outdated or relatively underpowered, effectively rendering it useless from a competitive or challenge-seeking viewpoint. In extreme cases whole parts of the game will be avoided by the players, as they are overshadowed by newer content.]

So this could be very bad for DI that they have not been putting effort into working up old content along with the new. Basically what it does is say why should I buy 1.0 characters? They'll never match up to the strength and power of the 2.0 characters that have complex attacks and special moves and abilities...

Or you all could ask this question to them at the Friday live stream: Why should I buy 3.0 characters? They will just become outdated when 4.0 comes out.

(Someone could ask better than I can, if you can make a better question than me please do so. The thing was if we all asked the same question they would definitely see it and clarify.)

So Disney infinity could be in a bad situation because of this, they need to find time to push up all the old characters along with the new ones. So people don't stop buying because their characters will become outdated anyway, why invest in short term fun?
On an Orbital Fortress in between the earth and the moon.

rank_50
The Scientist

Postby braiko » Thu May 21, 2015 12:11 am

Nicely put.
YNWA

rank_250
braiko
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:

Postby 80sDuckFan » Thu May 21, 2015 12:19 am

Why should I buy 1.0 characters even if they're outdate? Because I'm a Disney figurine collector.
Why should I buy 3.0 characters even though 4.0 might make them outdated? Because I'm a Disney figurine collector. ;)

rank_250
80sDuckFan
Main Console: PS4

Postby Vidia » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 am

Why should I buy 3.0 characters even though they might be outdated in future games?

Because they're just that: 3.0 characters.

You can't retroactively declare something a waste of money a year or so later just because something better comes along. That's how the world works.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia

Postby Cellsai » Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 am

You can when one of the main points of these toys to life games, and what validates the huge amount of money put into them, is that you will be able to use your characters in future games.

And try to remember that for some people these will not be a year later. Some folks will pick up 3.0 as their first Disney Infinity game, then buy a bunch of 1.0 figures since they're all on the same shelves. There will be a fairly massive and obvious difference between some of the figures. It's very lucky that Anna and Elsa turned out to be some of the more unique and enjoyable 1.0 characters, because I imagine they're going to see a spike in sales alongside Olaf's figure and Frozen Fever's launch.

Imagine you've got a couple of kids and you pick up the starter set plus Woody for whatever reason. One kid gets Anakin and is blitzing around with combos and force powers and what have you. The other has a shoulder charge and a ball. (Yes, I know, tools and packs, yadda yadda). It's not going to take long for them to realize there's a ton more to do with the new guys than the old guys and introduces uncertainty in the buyer. "Are all Disney characters bad? Do only Star Wars characters get interesting gameplay? Was it only 1.0s that are bad? Are 2.0s bad too?"

rank_250
Cellsai
Main Console: PS3

Postby Vidia » Thu May 21, 2015 1:59 am

How many 1.0 characters are realistically still going to be on the shelf at that point though? I went to my local video game shop recently to look at the Disney Infinity stuff, and they only had about eight of them still for sale. I don't see that number increasing when 3.0 characters come along and challenge the space even further. Having over 100 playable characters sounds great on the marketing brief but very few shops are going to have them all for sale.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia

Postby JustNCredible » Thu May 21, 2015 5:05 am

Why are we assuming 1.0 characters are no longer in production? I see a lot of people talking about "well in my local shop they're scarce" but every Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Toys-R-Us in Nashville and San Antonio that I've visited has 1.0 characters stocked full. They're still a product that Disney is trying to push.

@The Scientist

Thank you for your view, and for linking the thread to a greater acknowledgement of this common situation.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby megadrive2 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:35 am

@Vidia see my post on the previous page, here in Europe all the playsets characters have been re-released in single packages recently as well as re-stocks of a few of the more popular 1.0 figures to stores, there are more of these coming (the 1.0 starter pack figures will be released as singles). I fully expect this same business model to come over to the USA during the 3.0 figure run. Once they upgrade the figures in the future they can put a sticker on the old boxes stating something like "features increased power & abilities in 4.0!" later batches will be re-packaged in that iterations respective style. We have seen this approch in both past and present action figure toy lines as well as other toy-to-life properties.

Geri the Cleaner
megadrive2
Main Console: Wii U

Postby dcp3y » Thu May 21, 2015 6:26 pm

Signed. I was at Disney World (Magic Kingdom and Downtown Disney) last week and none of their stores had any DI 1.0 stuff. Seems like this is becoming a one and done type disposable product whereas it was marketed as something that builds over time. I would love for the 1.0 figures to get a fresh up - I think that would be healthy for the long run of this game for the characters to keep advancing along with the game rather than be left in its wake.

rank_100
dcp3y

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, Rules and Information