Disney Infinity 3.0: Rumors & Speculation

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Disney Infinity 3.0: Rumors & Speculation

Postby JustNCredible » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:45 am

Mickey is the only character that I'm aware of that will never have a costume disc. Every version of Mickey Mouse is a separate, copywritten entity which has to be kept separate. That's straight from DInteractive's legal department.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby GammaQuadrant » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:11 am

Hopefully they do more than 3 play sets, they went from 6 to 3!

rank_50
GammaQuadrant
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:45 am

@JustNCredible But... Jedi Mickey costume disc. :-(

Anyway! @sonicphoto and @InfinityGuru just pointed out on Twitter that the official Disney Infinity site has a new look! They always do that just before announcement time so we must be getting close.

Great time to be an Infiniteer!

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby JustNCredible » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 am

@mightygitis
Tell me about it! I'm dying for a King Mickey from Kingdom Hearts xD
My guess is we'll get a new Mickey each year. I wouldn't mind two or more but you know some people would complain about using up two character slots for technically the same guy :/

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Hopeless » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:55 am

I'd love a play set on that setting!

So any time then?

rank_250
Hopeless
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Infinityfan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:18 pm

@Hopeless, if you mean anytime when the trailer could be released, we know it'll be in May because of that tweet. So anytime after a week from now! I'm hoping more than just the first playset characters will be announced or at least shown in the full trailer quickly like last year with Merida, Stitch and Maleficent.

rank_2000_ftb
Infinityfan
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby BlackWidow » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:49 pm

rank_100
BlackWidow
Main Console: Wii U

Postby SketchFox7 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:19 pm

So here's my 3.0 Speculation on all 3 pillars... (sorry it's kind of long, lol)

Disney
Personally, I'm fine with the leaked characters as long as the 5 Inside Out characters mean a play set, it would be a really awesome looking creative. colorful play set so I'm all for it. If there isn't a play set I'll be a little disappointed, but the movie looks great. Trailer #2 seemed to suggest the movie will follow Joy & Sadness for the most part so I figured they'd be the two figures we got. A lot of people have to realize too, Frozen & Big Hero 6, came out the November AFTER the release of 1.0 & 2.0 respectively, DInteractive said with Anna & Elsa that a big reason they didn't have a play set was the lack of knowledge of Frozen as a property. They were pretty much given assets to help build the characters and then got approvals from the movie makers for them, Hiro & Baymax were probably a similar deal. Inside Out is coming out the June BEFORE 3.0 comes out, so they probably got a lot more time with it to make a play set. Mulan, Olaf & the Tron characters I love seeing, I wanted Olaf in 1.0 so I'm happy and it means that they're willing to go back to already included franchise so the possibility of characters like Flynn Rider, GoGo, Fred, Genie, Rex, etc... just increased in my book. Mickey & Minnie are cool with me too, I wanted Goofy, but Minnie gets that female rep in there first so that's cool. As for Mickey I'm not surprised, seeing modern Mickey using magic and controlling brooms would be weird for Disney, so they want his iterations as separate characters. He is the mascot after all and I could totally see a retro Mickey down the line like his design from Steamboat Willie, hopefully we'll still see Goofy, Pluto, Daisy & Oswald in future DI games.

Marvel
I honestly see the 2.0 play sets getting updates and compatibility with 3.0, especially Avengers, with figures for Ultron, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision & Ant-Man being compatible. Nebula could get a figure got GotG and Power Man/Luke Cage & White Tiger would make sense for Spider-Man. I can't see new play sets at least in 3.0, and I wouldn't hold my breath for Daredevil until he's featured in an animated show, his Netflix one is a little mature to use him in Infinity for marketing.

Star Wars
Was just thinking about this and I think a Clone Wars play set would make more sense for the PT movies, the characters change looks far too often in the PT movies to make a play set around them, but they're consistent in Clone Wars and feature the same characters (plus the style lends itself well to DI. As for OT, it has to be something that makes sense for all the playable figures to be in, so no Dagobah, etc... I think the most likely OT play set will revolve around the destruction of the Death Star. Rebels will also likely get a play set (probably something original set in the Rebels universe, like the Marvel sets did).

In conclusion...
I don't think a lot of people think too much about the future when it comes to DI... 2.0 got most of the Marvel heavy hitters out of the way (not counting X-Men & F4 for obvious reasons) so future iterations are only going have around 5-7 figures based on relevancy in that year. The same goes for Star Wars in 3.0 and in the future they'll only really have new movies to base figures on. 4.0 kind of has to be a majority Disney since only around 10 of the likely 30-ish figures will be Marvel & Star Wars. Disney wants to get their marketing machine started with this and now that Marvel and Star Wars will be mostly out of the way that just means past 3.0, we're in for lots of Disney fun.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

rank_500
SketchFox7
Main Console: Wii U

Postby JustNCredible » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:16 am

@blackwidow

Ahh that makes sense. When I was having the discussion with a member of their legal dept. the impression I got was that they're all separate, but maybe she was referring to Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey (which I guess is considered vintage?) specifically compared to a "modern" version. It will be interesting to see how their battle turns out, and what people do with a vintage Mickey once he's pd.

Regardless, unless they utilize costume change discs in a new way for 3.0 as you hinted at (giving the characters new abilities along with a new appearance) I agree that it makes the most sense to have different Mickey characters with different abilities instead of a Jedi costume or Kingdom Hearts costume with no new abilities.

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys