Why is Disney Infinity 2.0 so broken?

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Things you wish or things that make you go hmm

Postby jkhouw1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Just a couple of rants and wishes...Not sure how many are specific to Xbox one version...

Creativi-toys in general - OOP and object inheritance - almost feels like the devs never heard of such a thing and built each toy from scratch. Every trigger/object should have a "Triggering Player" option the way the weather vane does for example. Could make programming toyboxes so much more straight forward.

Platforming Elevator platform -: adjustable height would have been huge

Platforming: Moving Wall: Only on off but no left right??? the elevator has up or down.... developed by two different people? (SEE OOP)

Basic Building Blocks: Blocks can be climbed by wall crawlers but - short/large/tall block walls can't? (SEE OOP)

Race Track Pieces: All barrier pieces have HUGE collision areas - making them impossible to use unless you are building a race track in space.
Race Track Pieces: You can't build a race track on an inclined terrain piece - so no path/road etc on a hill without the road looking suspended in space.

Creativi-Toys: You can make checkpoints invisible - but HMM all other logic toys can't be? (scoreboards/randomizers/time delayers etc....) those should be invisible by default!! (SEE OOP)
Creativi-Toys: not only should things like text displayers, logic gates etc be invisible, they shouldn't have collision areas.
Creativi-toys: why can't you reset an ability terminal? (SEE OOP)
Instant Fun: Mines don't blow up when enemies hit them - they just get pushed around.

Platforming: Sliding horizontal and vertical lasers fences are nice - but no fixed fence to block a path without someone just walking around them?
Platforming/instant fun/creativi- They should have had a destructibles filter and a resettable filter. I'm forever trying to remember which is destroyed and never comes back, or can be reset. Or better yet, they should ALL have a property so you can choose which behavior you want (SEE OOP)

Enemy AI - its really just A - there is no I. They can rarely cross the simplest of terrain joins and bridges, stairs, slopes, and hills? - forget it. I spent forever trying to get them to cross a bridge to a enemy trail guide, and they preferred to jump to their death over the edge rather than walk across a straight, wide, flat bridge. Never got them to cross it no matter what I built it with.

Creativi-toys: Area Light - why is the lightbulb always on? even when its not providing light? Its annoying to use to try to build a hidden path when you have bright white dots showing the way, even if the floor is not lit. And speaking of which, why is the collision area for that thing the size of a small country?

Creativi-toys: Sound effects generator - its nice that it is directional and distance dependent, but since it is, it needs a locator connection so you dont have to have this huge white speaker in the vicinity just to get a sound effect. (SEE OOP)

Creativi-toys: Inventory/money mgr/loot drop/store front/packs and tools - Talk about cumbersome. And REQUIRE money to not only purchase but place? Really? and $10 min? and you can't control how much a defeated enemy leaves behind or is in a treasure chest? and infinite is not really infinite but only a large number? that whole thing needs to be redone. Even the players perspective on buying and selling items is confusing.

Creativi-toys: Vehicle generators: why can't they have something similar to wave generators where you pick what you want it to include? then the player when they get there, can choose from what you populated it with?? Give a generator like in Avengers game.

Editing: Copy an object - its nice you can select and move an object, and i like it defaults the next placed piece to the same, but wouldn't it be nice if that was actually a copy feature so it copied its texture and/or logic connections?

Toy Box purchasing - If you have enough money, and you click something that has prior requirements you haven't bought, it should give you the option to buy everything in the path to get there. Even better, if you have enough sparks, click something on the screen to buy everything on the page in one shot. There is way too much scroll, click, buy, confirm, scroll click buy confirm. In fact, there is too much set up to purchase individually any way. I'd rather pay $600 once for all race track curves, than $100 six times to buy each curve individually. Gets tedious. Clearly Disney had a huge hand in this part as they have mastered the art of monetizing every bit of your experience. I guess they want to build a whole generation of kids conditioned to think they have to pay for every little thing.d I'd guess there are about 100 individual pages between 2.0, 1.0, games, playsets etc, averaging about 35 items per page - thats 3,500 items you have to click about 4 times just to buy.

INteriors:

They are pretty broken - rooms with two floors are very hard if not impossible to place object on the level you want (like the elevator room, the shield room with the enemy generator...)

It would have been nicer if they had just given us walls to build with in normal toybox mode, and let us place all the furniture etc in rooms we build ourselves. a lot less programming on their part, less "Loading..." etc. Speaking of which, why can't we just put furniture in a toybox (aside from a park bench, a random chair or two etc...) They could have just made templates for a couple room structures and called it a day. better all around IMHO.

rank_100_ftb
jkhouw1
Main Console: Xbox One

Re: Why is Disney Infinity 2.0 so broken?

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 pm

I am a fanboy to some extent, but agree with everything you said. I play most in the toy box and love it but have expressed many times all my dissapointments with 2.0. We shouldn't have to put up with the glitches, I'd also rather have Disney playsets. If 3.0 doesn't have any Disney only play sets then I will pass personally.

I'd rather have 2 years of a wait for a game working the way it should. Infinity isn't the only game doing this, halo mcc (online I hear) or assassins creed.

Infinity is still in the early stages compared to skylanders.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE infinity but we all see the flaws, we've complained about them and the team have heard all the issues we have. We just hope they learn from the mistakes this time round. No point in me complaining anymore, I've done enough lmao. Hope 3.0 addresses the issues better, if it doesn't work patch it, we paid a lot of money to play the game after all

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Infinitu is 10x more complex than Skylanders. I so hate the comparison. It's like saying but look Candy Crush is polished why can't they get the Toy Box app to work better.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:57 pm

They get compared as they are all toys to life figures. Never played skylanders as it doesn't interest me in the slightest, di is more than enough :)

Mg pm :)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:10 pm

I think Activision has more teams working on Skylanders to get through the year releases. I think I read that Toys for Bob didn't work on Swap Force so they could focus on Trap Team.

Disney has been bringing on additional studios to help with Infinity. I believe 3.0 will have more manpower behind it than 2.0 did.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby Mukluk4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:22 pm

I don't understand how you can say DI is 10x more complex than Skylanders? Their adventure mode, story line, cutscenes, and VA is far more polished than what is provided in DI.

If they fully implemented to the point that you could build playset level toy boxes that would be one thing. But even the best toy boxes are very limited in scope as the tools only allow you to do so much.

2.0 Playsets are garbage compared to what was provided in 1.0.

Regardless of what you think, Skylanders and DI are competing for the same customer base and DI 1.0 is a direct result of trying to cash in on the Skylander cashcow.

rank_100
Mukluk4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:26 pm

Two words @mukluk4: Toy Box

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby semerien » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:34 pm

DI is 10 x more complex and most certainly is not competing for the same customer base. Or not all of it. Sure you have the people who love collectibles and try to get every one of them. That is the only similarity.

Skylanders story mode is much, much better than DI and that is because it is all they have. There is nothing else to Skylander. DI destroys it in the world building 'Toy Box' mode. That is the customer base that I am in. And I bet there are others who love the game, not because of the cute little figurines, but because of the worlds we can create. Skylander will never have me as a customer, I couldn't care less about their game. Unless they create some kind of Minecraftesque world builder that is actually intersting and powerful enough. Then I might bother looking at that game.

So yes, DI is much more complex, because of what you can do in it.

@jkhouw1

I love a good rant.
I am starting to have a good understanding of what creativi-toys pass information such as triggering player, but I agree that there are quite a few toys that should have this ability..and don't. I can't bring triggering player to a checkpoint? Really?
Basic Building Blocks - These drive me nuts. Why do they not function exactly like a terrain piece of equal size. Try to use them as floors and watch the enemies occasionally glitch out and become unhittable. So much fun.
Moving Wall - Yes. Just yes. Why can't I use them as a grand entrance that slides open when I trigger them. (No comments saying you can, sort of...you can't lock the wall in the position you want it to start in so it doesn't work)
Creativi-toys - No idea why these aren't only visible with the wand. Like the locator, or cameras. Why do I have to build certain areas to hide them all. Which then mixes them up a bit and I have to experiment to figure out which is which if something goes wrong.
I would like to add to this and say ... why can't I re-display a connection when I highlight it. I know it's going to a logic gate...but WHICH logic gate? You show me a path when I first make the connection, just let me see it again.
Enemy AI - Ha. Yeah, the dreaded terrain line they cannot cross. I've had occurences where they just get confused still being on the same terrain piece. Tried to make a MOBA type game, but these Enemies are soooo stupid.
On the same subject, I hate the Safety Dome type creativi-toys. They pull an enemy of an opposite team from miles away. They ignore everything else in their pursuit of these toys. Why can't I put a triggering radius on them? Enemies are only attracted from ### far away.
Area Light- It's not just the light bulb is always on. Why don't they actually do anything? Why can't you control how bright they are? If your trying to use them for an effect, you have to put them incredibly close to the area to notice even a slight hint of light.
Sound effects generator - Locator connection would be nice, but I recently found that you can turn it off, so you will hear the sound no matter where you are. If you are going for a directional sound from a certain distance away, though, a locator would be good.
Inventory + toys - Why can't I control how much coin different enemies drop? Why can't I sell packs and tools, one of the only useful things for a store to sell in a RPG type environment? What good are these toys (other than tower defense) without packs and tools?
Vehicle Generators - I would love if it worked like avengers and guardians of the galaxy, where you trigger the generator and it asks what vehicle you want. Give me that now please.
Editing: There are so many times I wanted a copy / paste type of function for groups of logic.
Toy Box Purchasing - Wow, if the toy store was smart enough to ask if you wanted to purchase all the toys to get to the toy you were selecting. That would make the Toy Store less of a torture session for me.
INteriors: Yes. The only reason I use these stupid things is because they locked the decent furniture to them. I would happily never enter an INterior again if I could just place the furniture in my own toy box.
I'm sure I'll think of more. Nice rant btw.
Aerial Detonators Do they not understand how big our toy boxes can get. And if we are trying to stop flying characters it's usually in a fairly large area. So why is the area covered by an Aerial Detonator the size of a quarter?

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Disney ID:

Postby Vidia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:12 pm

The thing is, it doesn't matter if it's ten times more complex if it doesn't actually work. Even a sundial is better than a broken watch.
Team "Bring Padmé To Disney Infinity"

rank_750
Vidia

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys