Disney Infinity 2.0 Update is Here! WITH PROBLEMS !!!

release dates, identification, wish lists, images, videos, and general information

Re: Disney Infinity 2.0 Update is Here! WITH PROBLEMS !!!

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm

@rog 100% agree with you

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BlackWidow » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 pm

@rogpalmeruk

And I think that's what they really need to worry about. Those of us who picked up the game in September are the minority - they have been advertising the absolute heck out of this game and the big influx of players will come after the holidays.

They got away with it for 1.0 because of the large amount of pre-made content, when I can't imagine most kids will take a week to finish up all the pre-made content in 2.0, and that's if they take time with the endless, repetitive challenges.

So we have a game that is very very heavily depending on it's user base to supply the content, and when so many ToyBoxes simply don't function when you download them (except for the just-walk-around-ones, which are very neat, but won't sustain interest), and folks who are working very hard at creating but hitting roadblock after roadblock, it's not going to get a good reputation.

Fortunately or not, no matter what - Star Wars will sell like hotcakes. You can put the Star Wars name on used toilet paper, and it will sell. However, they are also the most demanding fan base on the planet, and if things continue this way, it's going to be a whole different story once you've sold the most passionate group of fans on the planet a tool that helps them build Star Wars adventures if it has all the issues 2.0 has.

rank_100
BlackWidow
Main Console: Wii U

Postby JaysUsername » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:52 am

I think for a $50-60 game it's one thing to just accept that things are good enough but DI is an investment on the part of the purchaser and player....we are spending the kind of money that means we are committed to the game long term. This requires a similar commitment from the developer. With a product this sophisticated it almost seems silly to not have budgeted costs and resources to cover at least two or three major patches....it's just that big and bugs were inevitable.

Also, as mentioned before this is one of very few games that relies on the user for the majority of content....again, we need the return from the developer in the form of a stable platform. Guys, with a stable engine, a few more tools and a save mechanic. (In 3.0 I hope) there are many of us that would be thrilled to freely provide play sets to keep DI viable long after the initial ones are played out. How could you not want to ensure that we have the tools to do so?

rank_100_ftb
JaysUsername
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Quasimod0 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:33 am

That is a good point Jay. We do spend quite a bit more on this game than people spend on other games. Infinity is a large investment on our part

rank_500
Quasimod0
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby BlackWidow » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:52 am

@JaysUsername

Absolutely, particularly that last point.

1.0 simply wasn't interesting to the greater creative community (i.e. the many folks out there who like to build things in similar veins in various games) because of two issues, one the inability to add custom text, and two, the biggest issue, the super-limited sharing.

2.0 fixed both of these things - sure, both need further attention, but changes are in, and it's functional. The problem is, the core problems in the 2.0 ToyBox that seem to be so prone to bugging - triggers, replayers, and save issues. Those are core functionality and you can add any kind of awesomeness on top of it, but if the core systems are prone to bug out, it doesn't matter.

I'm absolutely convinced now that there is an overall issue with file saves. I am pretty sure the reason my big Toy Box went kaput (and maybe even what bugged out my whole game - btw, no update on that, I still cannot launch, been busy anyway and not sure what I am going to end up doing) was because I saved it so many times. I had probably 40 different save files going for different stages of development. And honestly, for most of the time pre-patch my only big issue was just the Wii U crashing most of us experienced.

I think my post-patch experience getting so absurdly bad (and resulting in the whole game giving out) was because while logic would tell me creating a new save file often was the smart thing to do to keep it "clean", somehow the ToyBoxes are writing data every single save even when things haven't changed and that data crashes it out eventually. And the individual ToyBoxes weren't crazy monstrosities. I ended up splitting one in two just because it was getting too large, but while some of them have a ton of timers, etc. setting off various visuals, the overall box even post patch on one of the ones bugged still was only half-full. I had a few large effects but they were temporary, i.e. they played briefly and then shut off. There wasn't even a crazy amount of SBB's. But over time more and more bugged out each save, I now realize. And once something bugged, it seemed bugged for the life of the entire save. A few times I went back, to say 2-saves before - and 2-saves later, even if I did different things, sure enough, it would bug out the same way. It was actually very predictable in that way. This is a core thing that needs to be looked at.

Anyway, to your original point - there were thousands of players who paid $15 a month for 9 years to play Star Wars Galaxies - just to decorate houses and make player-areas. There was tons more to do in the game, but there was a huge segment of folks who just played to do that - even though the tools were limited (until the end, at least - if player quests had been put in a few years earlier, the game would still be up). There are thousands of people who make Star Wars mods for every game possible.

Folks that would absolutely go ga-ga over this system. And what Star Wars fan doesn't like figures??!! The intense creative interests and hunger for Star Wars content is going to be fierce next year - my biggest fear for 3.0 is just the sheer number of connections are going to cripple DI's servers. You can't underestimate Star Wars, and here you have: Star Wars first new film in a decade (to some of us, first new one in 30 years LOL), all kinds of figures/merchandise to collect, and Star Wars games - a perennially adored genre.

I hate to say it, but it's true - they don't even need pre-made content if they just fixed the core issues, added a bunch of effort on the actor/townsperson stuff (which I think is why we saw the additions - however odd - to this version, like Cast Members vs. Townspeople, etc.) and I'd be willing to bet Sidekicks is simply the first iteration of having droids/creatures follow you in Star Wars (my kingdom for a Salacious!), the vehicle stuff in Spiderman was really for speederbike type stuff, etc. The "lego building" part of the game is really solid - give us Star Wars objects and textures (AND SOUNDS! LOTS OF SOUNDS!), and that is really pretty ready to go.

It's SO CLOSE...but 3.0 just can't have the ToyBox issues 2.0 has had. While Marvel is a big property, it's not Star Wars - and like a lot of things Disney has done, in general, it's often interpreted that their purchase and development of the Marvel brand has been a "prototype" for Star Wars (which is good, as they have done a good job with it). I just hope that they really do get 3.0 down. I was among the vocal at the lack of pre-made content in 2.0, but I know there will be so much community content with Star Wars that it won't matter in 3.0, if only the basic ToyBox issues are fixed.

rank_100
BlackWidow

Challenge Maker and Text still not working

Postby semerien » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:43 am

I guess I just assumed this was fixed after the patch, but after building a great big challenge with text attached to it, I found the wonderful text not showing up until after the challenge bug is still around. Kinda ruins the whole toy box so I guess I learned my lesson about testing before I go ahead with a build idea.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Disney ID:

Postby SorcererMickey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:30 am

It fixed the music for the view from the suit power disc and the Alice in wonder land power discs.

rank_0_ftb
SorcererMickey

Re: Challenge Maker and Text still not working

Postby rogpalmeruk » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:32 pm

Maybe set the text to display from a level starter or a trigger area, haven't tried connecting a maker to a text creator before

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby OFFICIALMichi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:33 pm

What is the view from the suit music now?
#ifightfortheusers

rank_50
OFFICIALMichi
NN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity hardware and software, merchandise and toys