I know this sounds crazy but hear me out

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

I know this sounds crazy but hear me out

Postby mr.incredible125 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:59 am

What if Disney Infinity went digital only, and there was no portal. I know there a lot of people who say" we love our figures, and won't give them up. I say at what cost would keep them, because one of the reasons DI is shutting down is because figures aren't selling. My idea is I am thinking of emailing EA corporate, and possibly Infinity Ward corporate, and ask if one could save Infinity and possibly toss a business model, because both companies need money What would be a good idea for pricing for either playsets or brands, because I was thinking 20 or 30 for the toybox. I would appreciate if ideas could put in this form. The other thing is the more ideas sooner the faster I can email EA or Infinity Ward, we only have until the Finding Dory playset is released.

rank_100
mr.incredible125
Main Console: Xbox One

Re: I know this sounds crazy but hear me out

Postby Elmo STM » Tue May 31, 2016 4:02 am

Personally I wouldn't buy the figures as dlc, I've no problem buying the physical figures. I would still buy the game and use my old figures though

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby goofyspaceranger » Tue May 31, 2016 11:46 am

@mr.incredible125 - I posted something similar a few weeks back in the "Hail Mary" post, albeit as a subscription-based pricing model to lessen the risk even further - which the Walt Disney Company might even directly entertain as a mobile app that happened to be supported on consoles (granted, long shot). Many here on the forums consider the physical figures as essential to the reboot. So we pursue the game with even worse odds ;).

So that means licensing to a separate publisher willing to take the risk. I do think that subscription-based pricing is the best way to mitigate that risk, while still providing the ability to sell physical figures separately. I do think they should be optional on the reboot. It would make the distribution of content much easier - the new publisher wouldn't need to immediately sell figures, or bases, or in many cases, even game discs.

It's also important to note that Infinity generated lots of revenue and profit for the Walt Disney Company, but for multiple quarters it fell below expectations - which adversely affected the stock. Don't have a lot of experience with this, but it seems like a smaller company that is not dependent on stockholder expectations can take a little more risk - a smaller company doesn't need to generate nearly as much revenue or profit. It still needs to generate both, but could do so at a much smaller scale. That's how focusing on the Toy Box maximizes the chance for a reboot. A smaller team could make incremental updates, leveraging what's already been built. That's where the Community comes together, where so much shared content is generated by the fans - essentially for free. The reboot really would be coming largely from the Community itself.

And this brings us back to the long-standing request of a reorganized Community DB - because so many Toy Boxes get lost in the long list of Community Content. I had made a short-sighted user request for the DB back in the 1.0 time frame, and wish I'd pursued the ideas better then. A better way is listed under "The Toy Box As Its Own Form Of Social Media" post. For a smaller company to focus on the creativity of the Toy Box & its infinite possibilities, that database needs an overhaul.

So that's how I keep ending up here (it's not the only way, but I think it's the most likely, in this long shot of long shots)...
Digital subscriptions. Optional figures. Toy Box focus. Searchable content. 8-)
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby mr.incredible125 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:42 pm

Goofy what would be a good monthly price and what would you pay?

rank_100
mr.incredible125

Postby mr jenzie » Tue May 31, 2016 10:08 pm

well my idea, belatedly ..... would have just ONE piece ..... for EACH disney franchise, combining many unlockable characters AND the playset itself!
ALL interconnected together like a giant mickey mouse jigsaw, something like the massive worlds of SKYRIM, FALLOUT or GTA!

and considering the gigantic modding scene, especially on PC, would be unbelievably easy to create others ..... along with the formal DLC packs, creating a truly interactive disney world ..... a WORLD ..... where everyone playing it would be in!

it would cost a fraction of DI is now AND give disney some space to produce an actual proper line of collectable figurines.

give it a few years, i bet that darn mouse nicks it :? ;)

rank_50
mr jenzie
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Tue May 31, 2016 10:53 pm

I think a "Toy Box" game, mixing everything together under one umbrella, makes a lot of sense, remove the whole "playset/expansion/games" things, just have toy boxes and "official" toy boxes with original content... it also would work perfectly with the way disney are treating other games, ie this week, you could have a new expansion pack with new alice toys, characters, etc... all DLC, no physical content... new movie hits, new content... throw in random stuff here and there.. subscription based stuff could work, or just make it available as a extra cost... i think this would work very well, take something that infinity did well, but remove the bigger risks like physical toys etc..

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby mr.incredible125 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 am

would anybody like the idea of contacting Ninja theory who also worked on DI

rank_100
mr.incredible125

Postby Lucidinferno » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:38 am

I also suggested the same thing. Digital only means Disney can't over/under produce on the figures. I'm in.

rank_100
Lucidinferno
XBL ID:

Postby goofyspaceranger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 am

@mr.incredible125 - I'm personally willing to pay a considerable amount of money for multiple subscriptions to the Toy Box - I may be a statistical anomaly in that respect ;) - I suspect for many, it would depend on what level of services was provided - especially when the alternative was nothing at all.

What if a subscription would unlock ALL toys in the toy box? ALL characters, ALL theming/costuming/vehicle/tools/packs power discs, ALL building toys associated with all prior Play Sets & expansion games? What if the rebooted Toy Box made it MUCH easier to find the Toy Boxes you wanted to try out, specific to the characters, themes, & games you liked? What does everyone here think a good price point might be?

$10/mo maybe? Perhaps discounted for say $100/year? That's still less than most MMORPGs.
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions