Appeal for the Return of the 2.0 Download

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Appeal for the Return of the 2.0 Download

Postby goofyspaceranger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm a big fan of moving forward. I'm a huge fan of the 3.0 function, and for Star Wars. The 3.0 Play Sets are great, and their unlockables for the 3.0 Toy Box are great.

But the PC side of Infinity is not quite the same as the console side. If you have an Xbox 360 or a PS3, you can run 3.0. And if you want to play the Avengers, Spider-Man, or Guardians Play Sets, you can purchase a 2.0 Starter Pack for them (same goes for the extension games). There is a significant hardware requirement bump moving from 2.0 to 3.0 (esp. on the graphics card side). You can have a laptop where the 2.0 Toy Box flies, yet the 3.0 Toy Box won't run at all. And it may very well be a shift in graphics libraries, etc. that make it problematic for 3.0 to ever run on those older laptops.

So what about re-instating the 2.0 download? Perhaps even the Play Sets? The code base is already there. There's already been a price drop in the virtual power discs & character bundles, many of which tailored to the 2.0 version. Folks could download the 3.0 Toy Box for free, try it out, and if it doesn't fly, they still have the option to download the 2.0 version and make online purchases for that.

There is a market for lower-end PCs to run Infinity. There is a market for the 2.0 Play Sets & 2.0 Expansion Games on the PC. And there are two sides to it - there are "Power PC gamers" that would enjoy the larger set of Disney Infinity gaming options, and there are the entry-level gamers that start on the PC due to cost, who then jump to a console version (and yes, I do believe many "Toy Box Club" members fall into this latter category). Libraries, schools, etc. typically have slow upgrade rotations on hardware, and graphics cards are rarely a consideration in their purchasing decisions.
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Appeal for the Return of the 2.0 Download

Postby tktnuri » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:35 pm

I still have all three versions downloaded on PC. Did it overwrite your 2.0 version when trying to install 3.0? I couldn't install 2.0 because my newest video card died and I had to revert to my previous model which isn't supported. But I agree if you no longer have the download file you should still be able to reinstall if you had it previously.

rank_0
tktnuri
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Re: Appeal for the Return of the 2.0 Download

Postby goofyspaceranger » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:58 pm

I still have 2.0 on my machine, thanks. I'm attempting to scale our Toy Box Clubs, a freely downloadable Activity Kit from IBM's On Demand Community (a corporate citizenship vehicle). We've piloted Disney Infinity Toy Box Clubs at the elementary school level at a library and at a high school level at a P-Tech school, and in both cases hardware that ran 2.0 fine cannot run 3.0 at all.

We've found that in many cases, both parents & kids are interested in getting Infinity for home, where 3.0 will run fine on the consoles, and they can spend even more time in the Toy Box. Other IBM volunteers who want to try this in other parts of the country/world may run into the same PC hardware concern, and so the official availability of the 2.0 download would be very helpful.
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions