The Psyche of Problem-Solving

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

The Psyche of Problem-Solving

Postby goofyspaceranger » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm

As one might imagine, discussions arise with regard to corporate citizenship and the cost of the Toy Box. There are many free software options out there, especially with regard to the "Hour of Code" that is promoted this very week. I don't have anything against those free options, and in fact, I recently recommended Disney Infinity's Code.Org module to an IBM volunteer effort down in NYC (after we discovered the hardware couldn't run the Toy Box ;) ). And of course it's cool that the new Star Wars Jedi is a woman.

But time is valuable. My time is valuable. My fellow volunteers' time is valuable. At our elementary-school-level pilot at the Adriance library for example, my fellow volunteers included the Dev Team Lead of z/OS Core Allocation, the Function Test Team Lead of the z/OS I/O Subsystem, and the Dev Team Lead of z/OS Core Serialization services, just to name a few. I want us to use the best educational tool out there, and I truly believe Disney Infinity to be it. In addition to the visual simplicity of Logic Connections & Creativi-Toys (for which I've posted often), and the cast of characters & themes across all of these Disney franchises to create this enormous demographic (for which I've also posted often), there is the fun factor, along with the distinct possibility that the kids will continue their creative problem-solving activity at home.

I believe that the core of the STEM crisis within our country (and perhaps internationally as well) is that fewer and fewer students enjoy problem-solving. I believe that our educational system has inadvertently pushed them into a rote learning model that makes problem-solving less of an art, and something very uncomfortable. This discomfort is pronounced in STEM's many minorities. So the solution is to make it comfortable, to make it fun. Make it something that is not focused on memorization, and without testing. Make it something that they want to spend more time on, in their homes, with their families & their friends. The STEM crisis is not intellectual. It's emotional. That's why you want to address it as early as possible, and that's why it requires time. It takes the repeated activity to transition from the intellect of the conscious mind to the emotions of the subconscious. 3D virtual, cross-platform, video game design, for multiple genres, with Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Star Wars toys. Visual programming with a video console controller. That's fun. That is the strategy behind Toy Box Clubs. And yes, parents often ask us about purchasing Disney Infinity for home afterwards, and yes, we encourage that. We're not endorsed for it, and don't need to be. This is my personal perspective on the nature of this corporate citizenship effort. Because in the end, it's the kids' time that is the most valuable. 8-)
Use the Force in Holocron Heuristics to program with more Creativi-Toys!

rank_750
goofyspaceranger
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions