Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Re: Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

Postby Sheriff Woody » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 am

as they are continuing to release Disney Infinity on more less powerful handheld devices i think at this point releasing on PS3, xbox 360 and Wii U will continue to happen. i do however think that this is restricting development on the PS4 and Xbone.

an option would be to provide a scaled down version for less powerful consoles but be up front about what people buying for these consoles are missing out on. missing sections of the game, smaller toy box sizes etc.

i also think that internet access should be a requirement and this needs to be stated in large bold font on the packaging.

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Steamboat Silly » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:47 am

The bottom line will always be money, so until last gen offers no profit nothing will change...not to mention their competitors aren't jumping ship, so why would Disney?
Support Brain Cancer Research
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby vynsane » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:07 pm

I find it funny that people are even lumping the Wii U in with "last gen" consoles - for the Nintendo ecosystem, it's the most current gen. You can't abandon something until there's something to migrate to. Besides, the Nintendo "last gen" console - the Wii - was already abandoned with 2.0. So it's already happened for that ecosystem.

The PS and XB ecosystems are both more expensive, thus there are a lot more people on older-gen consoles that are not ready/able to migrate. They will probably continue to support PS3/XBox 360 until there is a new console in each ecosystem, at which point they'll have to support PS4/XBox One and their newer siblings.

rank_100
vynsane
Main Console: Wii U

Postby rogpalmeruk » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:55 pm

I almost feel the game needs a simpler version and an advance version for next gen. I know the iOS version is the smallest but is that what is holding the game back more than the PS3 or 360

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Maserati777 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm thinking of getting a Wii U next year because of Pokken, I have a 360 right now and to be honest if I DI 4 wasn't released on 360 I'd probably just buy it on Wii U. I don't really have a reason to buy an Xbox One since I play only a couple of games on console. If it wasn't released on Wii U then I'd wait for the Wii U replacement since right now I'd rather have that for Pokken and Mario Cart.

rank_250
Maserati777
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Steamboat Silly » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Rumor has it that Nintendo's next console will be released next year and it will probably have wii u backwards compatibility. It wouldn't surprise me to see that happen, if so it may be worth waiting for.
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm

I would love it if Nintendo's next system was backwards compatible, but maybe in an easier way than the Wii U plays Wii games. I know it's not terribly difficult to enter a separate menu, but it would be nice if you didn't have to.

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby cmdrgoofy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 pm

For me, I just don't like paying much more than $200 for a new console. I'm hoping Infinity is still being released for PS3 until the PS4 comes down in price. If not, I might get a Wii U instead, but they'll probably stop supporting that soon too and then I'll have to get PS4 anyway. But if I'm lucky I'll be able to hold out until the price drop.

rank_0
cmdrgoofy
Main Console: PS3

Postby Steamboat Silly » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:52 am

I will say this, two years ago my wife got me a PS4 and Lego Marvel after returning home from brain surgery, I, obviously, had to spend a lot of time in bed. Annd besides Marvel being one of my favorite games of all times, there was a noticeable difference between the PS3 version (my son tried a demo later on) and my PS4. I think because DI is strictly cross-platform (and I bet the current gen versions are really ports) the game would look a lot better on current gen if it was developed for it. PLUS I believe the toy box limitations on the PS4 are because they don't focus on current gen and aren't taking advantage of the technical capabilities of the more powerful systems. Sometimes companies will have separate teams working on last-gen and current-gen versions of the game. Perhaps that would be effective for DI, but I understand that Disney is a company with no money or resources to pull this off. :roll:
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions