Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Re: Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

Postby Goofyboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:32 pm

@gotwriter : I'm pretty sure you are right. They can't let us use the full potential of current-gen since the toyboxes we make are available on all the platforms. If they want to use the current-gen at its full potential, they would have to lock the boxes out of the last-gen console's lists. This could still be a possibility. I'm sure they could do some maths when you upload a box to see if it breaks the threshold of console XYZ.

But my real opinion is that they need to drop support for PS3/XB360. The PS4/XB1 have been out for 2 years now and most of the big games don't come out on the old consoles anymore (NHL 16, Rock Band 4, Batman Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed...). Those are all best sellers and they are taking it to the next level.

And for those saying that they would lose money if they stop support, think again. Developing for 2 old consoles in addition to the 3 current ones, they are adding a lot to development, a lot to suppost (bug fixes), packaging... There is a big cost part to develop for more consoles. And in addition to that, they have to scale their game down when it could be so much better.

rank_250
Goofyboy
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby rogpalmeruk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:18 pm

I think Infinity is aimed at a different audience than the huge core games like Dark Knight, but the last gen (360/ps3) will stop once they aren't selling enough games... skylanders have still released a cut down version for the wii this weekend because they must feel they can make money off it (though i wonder how many people will be buying that version for the Amiibo)... Infinity would look very different if it was only on current gen (ps4/xb1), consoles upgrade all the time its nothing new... I do think the Wii U gets a rough ride, its the current nintendo home console, but i'd expect it to be dropped like a lead balloon like the wii once the NX comes out... (I still don't get why Wii U consoles seem so expensive for something we know is already being replaced...)...

I could see another year of ps3/360 being supported, the multiplatform system disney are using just says to me they are going for quantity.... instead of adjusting the product for different devices...

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Goofyboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:47 pm

I agree that Infinity is a more family oriented game compared to Batman, but Rock Band 4 sure is, and they are pushing it only on PS4 and XB1. They are even going through hoops to let us use old instruments on the new consoles. If it was still viable to produce for the PS3 and 360, they would have done it I'm sure.

You guys seem to forget that Nintendo keeps saying that the NX will not be a replacement but a complimentary thing to go with the Wii U and 3DS. That's what I keep reading from them anyway. They might have changed their mind, or they might change it before launch, but Nintendo will always be all about the good games way before the power and graphics. They released the Wii in the HD era, without the HD output and they still sold crazy amounts of the machine.

So I don't think the NX will be a game changer. It might even require you to have a Wii U to use it. Anybody else remembers the Sega 32x, Sega CD and all those console addons that basically made the old console a brand new one?

This might be a bit off topic, but I feel like in complements the discussion a bit.

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Maserati777 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:06 pm

So if the NX isn't coming out until late 2017 then they will definitely release 4.0 on Wii U.

If I get the Wii U I will not want to buy the NX one year later, and if it's not a sequel to the Wii U then really 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 should all be on Wii U as well.

rank_250
Maserati777
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby rogpalmeruk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 pm

I always think once a games company has started openly talking about their next machine, it always puts a cloud over the console

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Goofyboy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Most people have no clue about the NX. You have to be really looking for news about it. Eck, most people don't even know that the Wii U is a different console than the Wii. Thanks to an awesome marketing campaign.

This console had the chance to be amazing. The first HD console with some very amazing games... Ah well. At least, the games that they do release are very good and I'm enjoying it for all the AAA titles. For the rest, I now have an XB1.

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby megadrive2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 pm

The real issue here is down to the console that Avalanche are using for lead development, for all 3 games so far this has been Xbox 360. This is the reason the Xbox 360, Wii U and to a certain extent the PS3 are the more stable versions of 3.0. The Wii U version is a relatively direct port of the 360 version as the architecture is similar in both machines, the PS3 version is slightly less stable compared to these 2 versions but is again more or less a port of the 360 version.
For 2.0 the Wii U version suffered with a rushed port and gamepad integration by Heavy iron studios under very tight deadlines, resulting in many bugs and a handicapped resolution & frame-rate that was never addressed with any update or patch. For 3.0 on Wii U Avalanche handled porting duties themselves dropping gamepad integration and running an almost direct 360 port, resulted in a much more stable build.
Both the Xbox One & PS4 versions are ported up versions of the developed on 360 version, but with enhanced resolutions and some added content, the problem is being that both these systems are much further away from the 360's architecture so more coding problems with arise when porting Hence why these systems generally have seen the most issues at launch with the last 2 games.

Obviously a change in lead platform to either PS4 or Xbox One for 4.0 would make the game more stable for current gen users, and a downgraded or concurrently developed version with less content for the other platforms would secure sales from that large user base. I personally feel this is the best option for future iterations if they are sticking to yearly release.
Another thing could be the game engine itself, which was likely developed with 360 in mind. For the current gen systems to get the best version a complete overhaul or redesign of the engine would likely be needed. Certainly no small task considering the amount of content that needs to be bought forward.

Geri the Cleaner
megadrive2
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Steamboat Silly » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:22 am

^^^^^ ayup. Disney needs to make the shift from primary development on last-gen and converting up, to working current-gen and porting down.
Support Brain Cancer Research
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Pcboy99 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:10 am

If Disney doesn't abandoned last gen consoles with Disney infinity 4.0 then they will with 5.0 by that time 5.0 is out the nx will most likely be out, so your probably going to have to update your console in a year, if not 2 years time

rank_100
Pcboy99
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions