Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

if there is no specific Disney Infinity forum then it goes in here

Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

Postby Infinite Mickey » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Now, I have seen many people say that DI should abandon the PS3, XBOX 360, and Wii U. This is the topic to discuss this matter.

Abandoning older gens is fine and dandy for all you people who have an XBONE or a PS4, but, as many of you probably don't know, there are a whole lot of people who don't want to upgrade, like me. In fact, technically, I already did. I have a Wii U. I love it to death. It has all the games I'd ever want and more! I'm not interested in the shooters of the XBONE or the more Mature games of the PS4. I love being stuck in 2012 with Nintendo, because I find their games more fun than the others. Thats just me though. If you were required to get a next gen console, me and a whole bunch of other people would be stuck and in a bad situation. I want to play DI, but I don't want PS4 or XBONE. I never use my PS3 or XBOX 360, and I don't want another repeat of that. Plus, I'd be buying that console solely for one game (Except I'd pry get LBP3 on PS4 if I got it). It just wouldn't be worth it for me and a bunch of other players to continue with DI, and I feel they's lose a lot of sales. I just don't know. What do you think.
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Re: Abandoning last gen: Good or bad

Postby Elmo STM » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 pm

The main reason is that the older consoles won't be supported by the companies anyway, Microsoft is abandoning support for the 360 next year anyway.

I know a lot of people have the older consoles and don't want to/need to/ afford to upgrade so it's a wibble situation for those people.

I bought my console specifically for infinity (but will be playing cod on it too but it's 95% infinity).

Everyone is going to have their own opinion but in order to move forward as a game/platform they will need to abandon the older consoles and dated hardware imho. It will most likely hurt sales as you said though. I agree with your Nintendo comment as I would still play my snes on occasion (love retro games lol)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Sonicphoto » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm not sure if they would directly abandon Wii U specifically yet, but it is possible that they will eventually abandon PS3 and Xbox 360 as the consoles continue to slowly lose support and most player migrate to the current gen by that time. But going back to Wii U, there is a Nintendo console tentatively in the works that we will know more by 2016 so will see what happens. We still don't know the overall end plans of 3.0 and there is a loooooot of content coming for it so we have to wait and see how long term is 3.0 in general.

I bought my ps4 for Disney Infinity after previously playing on X360 2.0. But I always need at least one second console for my 3rd party while I keep my nintendo console for my nintendo content. So it was either getting PS4 or Xbox one, in the end I went with PS4 because a lot of the artists are on PS4 and while I enjoy Halo, Im a bigger fan of the Uncharted franchise. I would personally say that you should consider selling both the 360 and PS3 if you still own them and don't use them, and you can get either Xboxone or PS4.

rank_250_ftb_10
Sonicphoto
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:00 am

I can see abandoning the 360 and PS3 and they are the true last gen consoles and the replacements will have been on the market for a couple years by the next games release. I do not see (or want) the Wii U being abandoned though. It is the Current gen system for that platform and the replacement won't be out for another year or so. If we get information on it at E3 next year, it will probably be for a Holiday 2017 release. That leaves no where for Nintendo loyalists to play Infinity.

I love my Wii U (got it on launch day) and it still has a ton of great games and potential. I am still waiting on that Zelda game though.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:46 am

I don't have a wii u and really want one but due to its hardware it is closer to last gen than current gen. I don't think it will be abandoned along with the 360 and PS3 though

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Stitch » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:19 am

I consider Wii-U to be part of the current generation, so I can't see them stopping support on that platform. In fact, I would not be surprised if they gave support to both the NX and Wii U for 4.0 or 5.0, whenever the NX will come out.

I think we need to abandon the 360 and PS3...
It has been nearly two years since the launch of the eighth generation, it is time for people to upgrade. They have had more than enough time to upgrade. The Seventh Generation has had 12 years in the running, people have gotten their money's worth out of it and need to move on. I understand not everyone has the money, but that is just the way it is, technology cannot hold back because someone cannot afford to upgrade, otherwise we would still be playing the Super Nintendo.
The seventh generations systems limit the power that eighth generation systems could bring to Disney Infinity.

rank_1500
Stitch
Main Console: PS4

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:25 am

It is unfortunate that when they eventually do make the jump to current Gen only, there will be a lot of kids who won't be able to play the latest version of Infinity. That's the only reservation I have with all this.
Since 99% of my DI time is spent in the toybox, I'd love to see more resources being devoted to that. I feel like this is something that has to happen eventually anyway, even if DI wasn't a factor.

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby PerryTheMonkey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:52 am

For this argument, I want to look at three games: Disney Infinity 1.0, Skylanders Trap Team and Skylanders Superchargers.
Disney Infinity 1.0: This game released on PS3, XB360, WiiU, Wii and Nintendo 3DS. The Wii version was notably underdeveloped. The toybox was smaller in capacity and the online multiplayer I believe was nonexistent (from what I remember hearing complaints, I already had a WiiU by this time so I did not have the Wii version myself). Near the end of this game, the WiiU version was available as a free download very close to when 2.0 came out. This was most likely a move to push the Wii players into upgrading to the WiiU. That way they could play 2.0 on the new system while not having to buy a new version of the game they already have on their new system. 2.0 never came out for the Wii.
Skylanders Trap Team: The Wii/WiiU correlation was very similar on this game as it was on Infinity 1.0. If you got the Wii version, there was a free download code to get this game for free if you upgrade to WiiU.
These past two examples were good examples of what developers/platforms could do to encourage system upgrades. I personally got Trap Team on Wii because of the download code. I had no intention of playing it on Wii, but having the flexibility to play on either system if I wanted was a huge marketing strategy.
Skylanders Superchargers: This game is looking to be the final game released for Wii. I have not seen any mention of a WiiU download code like the previous game had to encourage upgrades. Instead, I think this is the final nail in theWii where it is basically being said we made concessions to you, the Wii user, to upgrade to WiiU in the past. Now if you want to keep this system, that is nice, but the last game you got was Skylanders 4, and since then, basically only Skylanders 5 came out, and do not expect anything else. With it being officially Sunday for me, I think I can now saw that the Wii is an official legacy system with no more games believed to be released.

So long story, I see the Wii as part of the PS3/XB360 generation. Nintendo systems have been coming out a year before their XB/PS counterpart and they are noted to be not as advanced in hardware, but I still consider those three part of the same generation. The Wii being phased out faster than the other two, may not be anything to do with the hardware limitations as much as it is to do with the actual controls. It has been said that the Wii was difficult to design for because of the controller. I think the same could almost be said for the WiiU. The game pad is the main feature here, and some developers may not want to deal with that extra feature where they would have to make so many extra changes in development when compared to making a game for XBone/PS4. Until Nintendo comes out with a new system, I would not throw WiiU into the same category as the 360/PS3 since it really is not the same generation.

As far as the NX being a current/next gen system, we just have to wait and see when it actually comes out. I think games that currently are made for all three companies will continued to be made for the WiiU, at least until the new Nintendo system comes out. There has already been some brief information that the next system is in the works. The fact that E3 was so lacking on any updates could be an indication that this system is completely under wraps and may even be on lightning pace to come out. Despite not having any information, it would not surprise me to hear about this system coming out for holiday 2016.
After the NX comes out, then there may be true talk of abandoning the WiiU, but probably not until then.

rank_50
PerryTheMonkey

Postby Elmo STM » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:59 am

@stitch while I agree about it being considered this gen because it's nintendos current gem offering, it's just not up to par with the other 2 unfortunately (but that doesn't make it a bad console just a less powerful one). Vasuri that's my the issue I have 2 as my nephew only just got a 360 at Christmas there so won't be upgrading for a few years I'm sure.

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity everything else discussions