How to replicate dead status from playsets on Toy Boxes?

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

How to replicate dead status from playsets on Toy Boxes?

Postby zeth609 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Hello Disney fans!

I'm looking for an answer associated to the defeat conditions in a play set. I would like to recreate the death system in a toybox, as to how it works on play sets. When a figure dies in an adventure, the game asks to change the figure, call for help, or go to the last checkpoint control, as the player sparks lies on the floor. When you use the defeat manager it asks the player to replace the figure; but if you wait for a little while (like 2 seconds) it generates the "last checkpoint control" message, spawning on the same place. In adventure mode this would mean basically restarting the level, or going to the last checkpoint within that level.

A solution would be not to spawn this message.

Trying to work around this with the checkpoint creativi-toy I try to generate a checkpoint as to where to return if the player decided to go back to the last checkpoint (and by the magic o creativitoys reset everything that follows, as a true game over type, location, enemies, collectibles, the works), however, when done this the player respawns every time in the checkpoint automatically and with the defeated figure, that shouldn't be available.

Is there a way to manage whether to continue with another figure (hence blocking the defeated figure) or "restart" with the same figure? The checkpoint works more like a teleport for defeated figures rather than the checkpoint found in the play sets.

Is there any one who could help me, please? It doesn't seem to make a difference for multiple players either.

rank_0
zeth609
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: How to replicate dead status from playsets on Toy Boxes?

Postby pjhaan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Not sure about blocking the defeated character. You might be able to hook the character defeated action to an initial checkpoint and not the last checkpoint.

I don't know the connections but it would be something like this:
character defeated --> checkpoint --> bring player

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby CCRunner524 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:53 pm

There is a way to do this. I think it has to do with the defeat manager. There is an option in there that replicates this and other options such as if they respawn with zero energy or the same. Note: you may have to deactivate or reload this toybox to get it to stop working once placed.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby zeth609 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:08 pm

The defeat manager allows for the game to ask you to change the figure, drop sparks when defeated and to reset the super power bar and power disk. However, after 2 seconds of not changing the figure it will allow you respawn on the spot, same figure. If you place a checkpoint (and go through it) it will teleport you to it even before respawning. Meaning that the defeat manager doesn't actually force you to switch figures when you are defeated like in the play sets.

This is what I'm trying to achieve as there is no real penalty in being defeated nor a way to force players to use other figures. It would work beautifully if the game didn't give you the option to respawn by pressing O (PS3 - PS4) after a while of not changing the figure. If you - personally - choose to change the figure at this point it works properly as you can't change back to the defeated figure for a while. The checkpoint itself works against this as well, as it becomes an instantaneous teleport once defeated, even before asking to change the figure or giving other players the time necessary to resuscitate you.

rank_0
zeth609
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby JustNCredible » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Well even in the playsets every character death has the option to return to checkpoint instead of forcing you to use a new character. I'm assuming this is because not everyone owns multiple figures; some may just have the starter packs. So hooking up the defeat manager with a "switch character on death" coupled with a checkpoint (preferably at the start of the map, or in an unfavorable location) and forcing every character's special and power disc meters to reset actually makes for a good incentive to stay alive. Sounds like your best bet would be to adjust the design the map and checkpoint location to make dying a headache.

My friends, brother and I use this in our games (usually we set up multiplayer combat games where killing npc's grant 1 point while killing players grants more 2, but dying removes 3, and we play to like 100+ points) and we feel it's a great penalty. If, however, you're creating more of a single player story-driven experience, then I would suggest building linear maps instead of a more open-world style, and creafting obscatles between rooms/ares and respawning enemies. This would certainly make restarting at a checkpoint more of a challenge.

It's all in how you design your game, but making "death" feel like a penalty can certainly be done, just use your imagination :D
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby zeth609 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:48 pm

That's basically the path I'm taking right now in level design, haven't found a way to replicate it exactly but makes sense. Thanks everyone for the answers, if I learn how to do this I'll reply on this thread.

Good system JustNCredible! Thanks

rank_0
zeth609
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby semerien » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Unfortunately, as far as I've been able to find, there is no way to EXACTLY duplicate the defeat structure of the play sets. The defeat manager tool is about the closest you will get but it does not work in quite the same manner as a playset defeat does.

This is just one of those little pills we have to swallow while building in the toy box. There are quite a few wonderful little tricks that work in the playset that we would LOVE to have access too ... but we just don't have the ability to exactly replicate it.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Disney ID:

Postby zeth609 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Thanks Semerien! I'm still working on how, but no luck :) going for lives counter, timed challenges and other "punishments" for losing lives. ( I follow you on YouTube as "My Disney Infinity") thanks for the tutorials, they rule.

rank_0
zeth609
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help