About character compatibility with newer games...

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

About character compatibility with newer games...

Postby Dedede_Man » Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 pm

So, I don't know if this is a question that anyone would really know the answer to yet, but it's been nagging away at me for a while now;
Just say, down the line, when we get to 4.0 or 5.0 (maybe further)... will the possibilities still be infinite?
Like, all of the figures and power discs from 1.0 still work, but do you think they'll ever get to a point where they'll have to drop older figures? Like, where older figures will no longer be compatible with newer games? I don't really have a strong grasp of how NFC figures work, so I don't know if that plays much of a part in it.

Basically, the point of this topic is to ask; do you think there'll be a point when older content (Such as the 1.0 figures and power discs) will no longer be supported in a later edition of the game?
Disney Infinity needs the glory of Cory.
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Steam:

Re: About character compatibility with newer games...

Postby Elmo STM » Sun May 24, 2015 10:43 pm

No I think they'll be useable in all versions of infinity, but that doesn't mean that they will be. I don't think 4.0 will be on 360 or ps3 so that means all consoles will be blu ray and thus have the extra space to utilize

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Infinity Guru » Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 am

I think Disney will try their hardest to make sure 1.0 content will work in all future versions of the game. This being said, they'll need more space to do it, which would probably leave older generations consoles like PS3 and Xbox360 from getting these "future versions" and leaving them to PS4 and Xbox One (Not sure where Wii U fits into all of this, sorry!)

In the newest video from GameInformer,Gavan Knowlton, the head for Avalance software's animation department said that the way they fit all of the characters on the disc is that they share base sets for each character. They can "get a character working in the game in 5 minutes" by connecting the character to a pre-set animation (like how Hulk and Venom walk similar, they probably share the same "base" walk)

They have 20,000 animations on the 3.0 disc and that's a lot.. Sooner or later, the disc will be too full to keep all of the characters on it for older generation consoles. Since the newer generations can hold more data, it's more likely that if they keep all of the 1.0 figures and power discs working, they'll make game owners upgrade.

Hope I helped and didn't make it more confusing! :P
8 Featured Toy Boxes. Toy Box Summit 2015 Attendee.

rank_250_ftb
Infinity Guru
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Dedede_Man » Mon May 25, 2015 1:08 pm

@Infinity Guru
Nah, that makes solid sense! I gotta say, it'd be strange to have an Infinity that had Yondu and Falcon, but not Woody or Captain Jack Sparrow...
Well, here's hoping that day doesn't come for a long time!
Disney Infinity needs the glory of Cory.
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Steam:

Postby Stitch » Thu May 28, 2015 3:02 am

I was hoping they were going to ditch last-gen consoles with 3.0 (No offense to those of you who own them). I just want them to not be limited by the space or processing power of those consoles.
4.0 I would say will definitely be on current-gen only, as they already said they are running out of space for 3.0 itself, forcing them to make cuts like not allowing Toybox gamediscs from 2.0 to carry over to 3.0. DO NOT throw them away, though! I can almost guarantee if you place them on the base in 3.0, they will unlock the toys involved with the game, like how the old playsets work, but it hasn't been confirmed.
By the time it becomes hard to fit everything into current-gen consoles, I am sure the PS5 and next Xbox will be coming out, so no worries about that.

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby Elmo STM » Thu May 28, 2015 3:33 am

After recent interviews I don't think last gen support will be dropped until 5.0 (if that's where we are heading)

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Guinydyl » Thu May 28, 2015 6:57 am

I'm getting ps4 for 4.0 probably so that is good
3.0 is awesome!!

rank_250
Guinydyl
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Crazed Java » Thu May 28, 2015 1:51 pm

From just a business perspective, they can't support older consoles forever. I really need to get off my X360 at some point.

The amount of storage needed shouldn't be an issue. Despite the premium Microsoft charges for XBox hard drives, space is cheap. Anyone price a 1TB external drive lately?

The real concern is at what point is it not worth it to them to go back and make sure older characters are still compatible? Hopefully not for awhile.

rank_0
Crazed Java
Main Console: Xbox 360

Postby Goofyboy » Thu May 28, 2015 3:48 pm

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Microsoft itself is dropping 360 support at the end of the year. I don't know why 3rd party would keep it around.

Harmonix has dropped 360/PS3 for Rock Band 4, which was a huge part of their gamers because 1-2-3 was on there. So, will other developers try and support those old consoles for a while, probably not. If they do, they will need to decide to do the Full experience on the newer consoles and have a subset on older consoles, with fewer features or something.

Anyway, I hope. :) Its not fun for people that don't want to spend the money for the next gen, but everyone knows that they will need to at some point.

rank_250
Goofyboy
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help