How to randomize Toy Box character chests

including hints, tips and glitches. any hardware, software or gameplay related questions go in this forum
please try and make it clear in the topic title what the content is
a title such as "toy box" will not help anyone when searching for information

How to randomize Toy Box character chests

Postby Shingotink » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:42 am

Well I got my Jack Skellington today and was spending time trying to find all four of his Toy Box chests and I found something rather interesting.

Start an empty toy box, place a tiny tall terrain block next to it and jump on it, next delete the original large terrain block, if a character chest has not already appeared choose a town person and continuously generate him/her in the empty pit surrounding your small island until your bar is full (this should definitely get the chest to appear). Now that your chest has appeared all you need to do is stand in the middle of the island and follow the below instructions.

If you use the play video option the chest will disappear 5 or 6 seconds after the video is finished and be replaced by another random character chest in another corner of your small island (sometimes it may even appear in the same corner, so pay attention to the character icon as well). You can even cancel the video as soon as it starts to save time.

Once you do find and open the character chest you were looking for it will also disappear in 5 or 6 seconds and be replaced by another random character chest, so you can repeat the process again until you get all the character chests you were looking for.

BTW I am on X360 and am not sure if it works on all consoles.

The below video is in real time and as you can see I unlocked all 4 of Jack Skellington's items in less than 9 minutes (although I must admit I was a bit lucky).
6:05 Item 1: Sally Costume
7:50 Item 2 Halloween Town Jack-O-Lanterns
8:20 Item 3: Jack Skellington Costume
8:55 Item 3:Halloween Town Gate

rank_100
Shingotink
Main Console: Xbox 360
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Re: How to randomize Toy Box character chests

Postby Primelover » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Quickest way I found to get the chests to start appearing is this:

Start an empty toy box. Should just be you on top of a large terrain piece.
Put a Disney Infinity Hub on it.
Switch to the flat terrain piece. Then put them all around the large terrain piece in the middle. Should be 2 per side for a total of 12 flat terrain pieces.

This should get the chests to start popping up. If you need to, drop a buggy or recognizer to get around.

I even experimented and started deleting the flat terrain pieces once the chests started appearing. Only have 3 now :) really cuts down on the running from box to box.

Keep in mind, there are 9 characters not belonging to a playset and if each one has 4 boxes, then that's a total of 36 random chests.

Happy hunting!
Till all are one!

rank_0
Primelover
Main Console: PS4
XBL ID:

Postby El Skutto » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I had an even easier time of it.

I simply created a new Toy Box world and selected the flat terrain. It creates a flat cube of grass that's basically hanging in space. I placed the fan won from the vault in the middle of the cube, and a car next to it (for quick levelling purposes). That's it. Toy Box-only character chests started showing up within minutes. I then used the technique described above to cycle quickly through them until I got all four of Jack's vaults.

The whole process took less than an hour.

rank_50
El Skutto
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Shingotink » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Found an even easier method for browsing chests.

Same as above, except after you start an empty toy box, place a tiny tall terrain block next to it and jump on it, next delete the original large terrain block, if a character chest has not already appeared choose a town person and continuously generate him/her in the empty pit surrounding your small island until your bar is full (this should definitely get the chest to appear. Now that your chest has appeared all you need to do is stand in the middle of the island and randomize the chests as described in the first post.

rank_100
Shingotink
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby LeiaOrgana » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 am

There is really no need to do anything but enter an empty toy box.

You open an empty toy box, a minute or two later you'll see a chest appear. It takes a couple of seconds to run to it.

You don't need to place anything, add or delete terrain, etc.

That said, I have not seen them disappear/regenerate the way other folks say - I watch the video and it just sits there. I'm using the Wii U, it's possible it doesn't worth the same on all versions.

That said, it's still easy - as soon as I see it's not the one I want, open the menu, select travel, and go to empty toy box again. Rinse, repeat.

No interaction is needed whatsoever. On the Wii U this is especially easy since you can do it all on the GamePad screen while you are watching TV or doing something else.

I got the first 3 for Jack (including the gate) within 10-15 minutes. I've been trying to get the 4th one but have not had any luck for awhile - seen every other one multiple times. I've got what I want, though, so will just probably wait for the rest in normal gameplay.

rank_250
LeiaOrgana
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby Shingotink » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:50 pm

I wish I had a capture card to show how incredibly easy it is with my new method. The Tiny Tall Terrain piece is so small you don't even have to move to activate the chests an you have no need to enter any menus at all, again at least on the X360.

rank_100
Shingotink
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jazz820 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 pm

What about on the Wii?

rank_1250
Jazz820
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:

Postby michaelnsync » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:47 am

Is there also a post/thread for all the phienas chests that are found in EACH playset toybox? I read on ign and looked in my game and found that in the monsters pirates Lone Ranger incredibles and radiator springs that's they each have a phienas chest to unlock.

rank_0
michaelnsync

Postby LeiaOrgana » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:04 am

I believe those are the same random boxes you can get to show up in any empty toy box. The ones for characters that do not have playsets can show up just anywhere, hence this thread in trying to assist people in making them appear.

@Jazz820 - AFAIK, the Wii U version at least does not do the "once you watch the video the chest disappears", so you might want to try my technique above and see if it works on the normal Wii version.

rank_250
LeiaOrgana

Next

Return to Disney Infinity questions, hints and help