Custom made old school, side-scrolling, platformer!

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Postby StormbringerGT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Just finished my first custom made adventure! I uploaded it to Disney so we'll see if it gets featured eventually.

It takes around 5 minutes to complete. I gotta admit balancing took the longest part, making parts harder and easier is way more time consuming than I thought. I didn't want the level to be a breeze but I did not want it to be unbeatable either. I think I hit a decent balance.

I made a custom trap that shoots cannon balls (bowling balls) as you which was pretty fun.

I also made a custom boss character, since the game doesn't include any, he's giant sized and the doors do not open unless you beat him.

There is a giant castle on the end you can explore as well, its all hand made and gave me an inspiration for my next adventure I want to work on!

I added some checkpoints as well, since starting at the beginning every time was very difficult and time consuming and ended up not being fun.

There is at least one secret short-cut as well to shave off some valuable seconds!

Anyway I wish I could share it with all you guys and get some feedback on it. Let you guys opening it up in the editor and see how I did what I did with the creativatoys. If anyone is more curious I could show how in youtube, for my custom trap and boss.

If you are on my friends list and want to try it out shoot me a message on live and when I am online next I will just leave it running and you can hope in and try it out. A few rules. No opening the editor in the game. I want to keep it the way it is and with people jumping on and off all day while I leave it unattended I don't want it to get edited. No using Tools or packs. You can use whatever character you want but the level will be harder and easier depending on which ones you pick.

This weekend I want to host an "Open-House" event and let my friends come in and tinker and alter and build the level bigger and better! I'll shoot out message on xbox on Friday and Saturday!

And finally a youtube video of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CXWiN6rD8E

rank_100
StormbringerGT
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Re: Custom made old school, side-scrolling, platformer!

Postby Agent C » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 pm

I'm not sure where everyone on the board here is in life. I'm an old school gamer. It pains me to say that, but I did indeed have an Atari 2600 that I remember playing. NES moved mountains in gaming. SNES and Genesis were amazing machines and still have some of the best platforming available. However, I just sit here and can't help but smile to see where gaming has come to. I dreamed about this as a kid. There were all sorts of what if scenarios I played out as a kid, and now, this game gives you the ability to realize those. Wow! That is about all I can say!

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Exciting! How did the upload go? I think you're the first person I've seen to actually upload to Disney.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby StormbringerGT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah I'm 31 years old so my first game were old school games. I dreamed of making up my own stuff but never wanted to do it for a living lol.

Also the upload was... quick.. just uploaded and got a message how they will look through it and consider it or some such. I guess I will see how the process goes. Hope they push it through, I think it is was more fleshed out than their side-scrooler, although their Mario theme is very cool!

Also Video finished uploading if you want to take a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CXWiN6rD8E

rank_100
StormbringerGT
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Kroikey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi, first post for me! Great platform action, what bits did you find hardest? I like the idea of using the grow pad for a boss, but the limited time is a problem. How did you consistently get the enemy large?
I'm currently making a level where you have to rescue various princesses. its a floating island kind of affair, getting higher and higher up until the main boss dungeon. I'm using the replayer to dynamically build the roads between the floating islands, which looks great! I'm thinking of adding an overall timer eventually, so any tips on that would be great.

I think I need more themes for the ground, I only have the MU one and default Disney.

I'm loving the crafting ability of this game, my five year old can get used to basic signalling and programming concepts!
Kroikey

Postby StormbringerGT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 pm

The hardest two parts was pacing and balancing. When you lay stuff down in the editor it looks small, but when you start to walk on it you realize how large it is.

Also using the side scrolling camera is fun but makes control the character difficult as you can walk off the background or foreground to your death.

I had the boss spawn when you went through a trigger area. When you went through the doors, the marching orders triggers and he walks forward and walks through a growth pad. It only lasts a limited time however, but them seem to hit harder when bigger. To prevent the player from just running passed him I had the door only opened when the boss was defeated. The marching orders are hit and miss here. If I have one and only one in my level they seem to always work. However if I add more than one then none work. I assume this is a bug. I submitted already and I hope they fix it. You can do some crazy cool stuff with marching orders and its a crazy powerful tool.

I wanted a timer to count the time up. To see how long it takes to beat the level. But I couldn't figure out how to do that, so counting down was the only way. As it stands if the timer counts down nothing bad happens. It's just there so friends can time their runs.

I originally wanted to do a combo of timers and collectibles, those orange balls that appear in challenges in and play sets. But I couldn't figure out how to place them, or if in fact there are any. So just a timed challenge was the way to go.

I really wanted to mess around with the replayer here. Cool stuff there, but I didn't want to do too much in one toy box. Your idea to use it is very cool I would love if you can post a video of your adventure! Until we find a way to reliable share them.

I am working on another adventure this time not side scrolling, but using the replayer the level FALLS APART behind you. It's not timed, but it is timed out of necessity, lol if you don't hustle the whole level falls apart!

For your princesses how are you keeping tabs on that? Do that have to collect them and throw them in the round up pen? Anyway I would love to see it. I love seeing all the cool stuff people have done, and there is not enough of it floating around.

rank_100
StormbringerGT
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 pm

You guys just both blew my minds. How can the replayer build roads or destroy roads? Are there blocks that link to it? Seriously. Mind blown.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby StormbringerGT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

It watches what you build then can play it backwards or forwards. Probably the most complex toy in the box.

rank_100
StormbringerGT
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby MightyGitis » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:00 am

That's what it does?!? I'd have never known. I thought it replayed what happened with the players in game sort of like at a sporting event. This explains why I couldn't get it to do that when I attempted linking it to things. Next Toy Box maybe.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations