Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

Postby thebaroness89 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 pm

PS.
Congrats to the winners please ignore the sore loser.

rank_250_ftb_10
thebaroness89
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby pjhaan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have to realize that judging is very subjective and that you are very biased towards your own creations.

I can think of one specific challenge where I thought my box was better than some of the top five. There was nothing wrong with the top five boxes but I thought mine fit the challenge better. My box wasn't perfect but I thought it was top five worthy.

If you are only building for a win, you are going to end up disappointed more often than not. Build for fun and make boxes you want to play.

The box I built for the Hollywood Studios Challenge had absolutely zero gameplay but I have still gotten complements from people. It is a four box cut scene. Do I hope it wins, certainly! However, I wanted to pay homage to an attraction that is going the way of the dodo this year. It was very challenging and I think the end results are great. Again, it is not a perfect box but I think I am the only one to attempt recreating that attraction.

Best of luck if you do continue building but don't count on top fives. There are too many great boxes and more are being submitted with each challenge.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
Main Console: Wii U
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby DizExplorer03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm

@E.O. Arrendelle I agree with @Semerien, @Mightygitis, @Romulus77 and especially @tabear. I thought the toyboxes picked for the Top 5 were great choices indeed and there's no reason to go around being discouraged and criticize the players that won and say that you should have placed. Each one that placed did someone that was out of the ordinary, unique and made theirs stand out and entertaining. While you may be upset with not placing, especially since you are new to Toy Box Competitions, that doesn't give you the right to point out all of the negatives inside their toybox and say that yours was better than theirs. Besides, the judges would definitely would not be pleased with that kind of feedback, especially since this is suppose to be a welcoming and friendly community. Like Mightygitis said, it's called bad sportsmanship. I should know. I used to do that sometimes. I would usually publicly show how upset I was on social media sites and think about not competing anymore. But now, I learned from my mistakes, and I share tips, tricks and advice on my Youtube channel hopefully they take my advice and become a better Toy Box Artist, not only in building them, but also having a positive attitude about them. Don't repeat the same mistakes I've made in the past. The best we can do is "let go of the past and keep moving forward."

Like for example, when it was announced that Team HansShotFirst was announced the winners of Toy Box Summit by Community's Pick and would become townspeople in the next game, I got pretty disappointed. I thought my team pulled off a unique and fun toybox for Tatooine, but it wasn't meant to be. At first, I just said congrats, but then I went on saying stuff like "Guess ours wasn't that good enough for the community" and "The better team won". And when the Toy Box Master Artists wanted to celebrate over on PS4, I refused to come because I thought that only winners deserve parties. I had a lot to learn, especially since I am a Toy Box Master Artist. In fact, I am still learning myself on how I can improve on myself. We Toy Box Master Artists are suppose to represent the game for what it is; a fun experience where players have the opportunity to tell their own stories and share it with the world and not afraid of any criticism. If you just play Disney Infinity just for the the toy box competitions, you are obviously not having that much fun and you are doing it wrong. Like Tabear said, you should do the toy box challenges just to build fun toyboxes and to challenge ourselves to create stories for those challenges. Being featured into the Top 5 is like a bonus. Also, in the end, if you didn't get featured, you should be happy if fellow Toy Box Artists you enjoy their work from gets featured. I didn't compete in this one, but I am glad that some of my friends made it onto the list, because they have fun doing it and put a lot of work into it and it shows. And another thing, you still have a fun toybox that you built for the challenge. If you enjoyed building it and sharing it with people, that's all that matters.

Overall, I agree with the other Toy Box Artists as well that I think you may need to take a break for a while. In the meantime, I think you should try to improve not only on your sportsmanship, but also how to build toyboxes just for fun. Besides, there will always be players out there that will like your work, just like with the rest of us. You can't expect to get featured just as soon as you joined the game. It takes time. Learn your creativitoys and get some advice from others. We are here to help players like you and that's what makes Disney Infinity so special. It's the home to a very special community that treats everyone that they belong and part of one big ohana. Just like in the film Lilo and Stitch, Ohana means no one gets left behind or forgotten. Allison, JV and the rest of the team cares for everyone, because we all play an important role here, no matter how big or small. Even for Toy Box Summit, they don't have the toy box summit just for the top Toy Box Master Artists, but they livestream it to everyone else as well. They want everyone to be included, because we are all important and not just some people. We helped shape Disney Infinity to where it's at today. It's the #1 toys to life video game and that's an achievement worth noting. So, in conclusion, be a good sport, play for fun, and never forget that you will always play an important part inside this community just like everyone else. As Ralph said in the end of Wreck it Ralph, "Turns out I don't need a medal to show if I'm a good guy. Cause if that little kid likes me, how bad can I be?" :)

rank_100_ftb_10
DizExplorer03
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby E.O. ARENDELLE » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:39 pm

Critism improves everyone. If no one dares to critique and honestly question there is no point of any competition. If critism is "being mean" I'm sorry I wasted my time with these contests. Let's pretend these Toy Boxes are playsets and you had a choice of what to spend money to buy. That's the only point I'm making. The cars "ai" is used on several winners boxes .What difference does that make? To be honest I didn't even expect to win neccesarily. That's not the point. I just expect honest results in judging no matter who is involved. I have said enough here. Thanks for the input.

rank_0
E.O. ARENDELLE
PSN ID:

Podracing Challenge (due 1/27)

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:47 pm

@E.O. Arendelle This is not critique it's sour grapes. You aren't analyzing every top five. Just the ones you lose on.

As for cars AI sure. On regular races. These are pod races. Now I haven't played fifth place but the top four for sure did not have AI cars. But other options.

Also you say you want honest judging. We all do. But you undercut things that are beyond your understanding. I don't think you understand the logic and creative power behind the top four toy boxes and therefore all you see is they beat you and you nitpick them to death with not enough expertise to give an actual educated "critique" on the subject.

We all started somewhere. What you should be doing is asking for a critique on yours instead of trying to judge the work of people who have been doing this for 1 - 3 years.

The people you are harshly criticizing are the people who could be your best resources for improvement on a platform you are only just scratching the surface of.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby DizExplorer03 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Definitely follow Mightygitis' advice. Us Toy Box Master Artists have been doing this for at least a year and it takes time to master. Feel free to ask for advice from us and play our toyboxes if you want to improve.

rank_100_ftb_10
DizExplorer03
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:51 am

@E.O. ARENDELLE, thank you for taking the time to play my toy box and offer what you believe is well thought-out criticism. I can't speak for the other artists that did an amazing job this challenge, but I'll offer some explanation for some of my choices in Pod Prowling.

There were no ranged weapons offered, so instead I put in my description that marksman players were required. I guess I can see how some people might not read that. Initially, I had multiple guns available at the start of the challenge. After testing the box several times, however, it became obvious that all of the available options' firing rates were far too slow to give the player a decent chance on the leaderboard.

That's the beauty of testing your own box. You find things that you first thought were fun, but soon realize aren't. With a touch of honesty, you figure out things like: maybe 9 boxes of oversized tracks might sound impressive, but in actual gameplay end up being boring, or perhaps that jamming a box with as many decorations as you possibly can doesn't always equate to good decor.

Sometimes it's hard to be honest with ourselves, but it ultimately does make us better artists. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby DizExplorer03 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:43 am

Well said @Mr.Vasuri83. It is always important to test our toyboxes to find out what works and what doesn't works.

rank_100_ftb_10
DizExplorer03
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Swiftguy12 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:15 am

Just played all the top 5 great job everyone ignore this sore loser! Maybe it's best if you stay on the sidelines and to be honest just played your so called Toy Box Podracer and now I know why you didn't make it into the top 5 and also if your judging masters artists that have more wins than your will ever get I think you need to check your own toyboxes and judge them because they are well.... Not good

rank_0
Swiftguy12
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations