Toybox very limited?

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Toybox very limited?

Postby CCRunner524 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:55 pm

^ What elmo said. The Lothol background is the Tomorrowland power disc sky. All available in the toybox.

Edit: If you need to where to find anything just let us know ;)

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Erdadi3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey @VampLena !

Well, to be honest, I would not think on the Toy Box limitations but on all the amazing things you can do with it! Except using the figures as NPCs, the rest of your ideas can be done, you just need to find out how to do it! There is not a direct way to do everything, in a lot of ocasions you will have to think about a mechanism to acomplish a certain task in the Toy Box. For example that battle with StormTroopers and rebels; you can do it using enemy wave generators but assigning a different team to each wave, doing that they will fight between themselves!

Building in the Toy Box requires time, it is impossible to go out with an amazing creation spending only a few hours :) You will need to play a lot of community Toy Box, watch tutorials and experiment, thats the only way!

Oh, and as a note, every Toy Box under Comunity Content can be done, you just need to unlock/buy the required toys! :)

Kind regards and Happy Building!!

rank_100_ftb_10
Erdadi3
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Jack Frost » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:47 pm

1. I too am really disappointed by the lack of rebel troops! (and clone troopers as well (yes ik there's that ONE guy) but I digress) What you could do is use other enemies that have the same feel to them as rebel troops would. If you put the "rebels" on one team (orange) and the troopers on another (blue) then you as the hero could choose a color and then fight. You could still achieve what you want you just have to make "enemies" friendly by putting yourself on the same team as one of them.

I know you can do this with the enemy generators, not sure about the wave generators but probably: look at the generator's properties and set it so that it generates the "enemy" as a member of a specific team. Don't try to mess around with like dropping the enemies into the team color thing LOL (my brother did this in 1.0)

2. Having the playable rebels as NPC quest givers IS possible. You just have to use the townsperson figures. I use a townsperson + dynamic trigger + context button assigner + text creator + a camera to allow the players to talk with NPCs. (Dynamic Trigger is connected to a townsperson so that when the player approaches the townsperson the DT is "triggered" which makes the context button assigner activate making a button prompt appear. The player can then press the designated button and then this will trigger the text creator and the camera. The text creator will display the text while the camera will show the townsperson so that the player has that visual for who's talking even if every line of text begins with who's talking "Ezra: I like soup" "Zeb: I like soup more than you, rat"

3. Do you mean going from the planet's surface into space? You could have one toybox where you're on the planet's surface and then have some sort of fighter hangar where the player goes and then they have to do something to "ready their ship" and then whenever they're ready they can "travel into space" by being taken into another toybox via toybox door which will just be a space setting and have no ground other than maybe hologram blocks so that the player can get in their ship :P

There are limitations to the toybox and then there are perceived limitations to the toybox. Perceived limitations can be very physical things such as "I can't have different classes of clone troopers for my republic army!". There's only one "clone trooper" toy. However, there are storm troopers. There are jetpacked Mandalorians. The storm troopers are a natural evolution of the clone troopers. The clone trooper armor is Mandalorian in origin. You could use those as additional classes to your clones and simply ask the player to make a logical leap.

When I played Ezra's Spark of Rebellion (I haven't delved into Community Content much so this is like my one big experience LOL), I felt like I was on Lothal. Even though tons of non-star wars toys were being used to create it, everything felt like it was straight out of the show. I felt like I was in the Star Wars universe despite the fact that there were Agrabah toys and modern city toys all over. We aren't always as limited as we think we are.

rank_100_ftb
Jack Frost

Postby Stitch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:52 am

I have been a long time supporter of playable character NPC's.
Townspeople ruin the feel of a toybox when you are trying to make it like a playset. And all the great characters are the ones playable, so we don't get Cast Members of them. This needs to be changed, it would be so nice...

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby AdamW13 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 am

I was definitely hoping for more space in the Toy Box. The first level I was working on, I've had to continually scale it down and delete stuff. Making more than one Toy Box doesn't really feel feasible for it, but I'm glad they have that feature, which I plan to use on the second level. On the second level I was working on, I had barely started on the level design before I ran out of room. One construction ended up using probably well over 1,000 blocks... sooo...

Does anyone know if the Toy Box for 3.0 has more room? I want it, but I feel like I've already spent more money than I need to on the game.

rank_0
AdamW13
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby MightyGitis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 pm

@AdamW13 Not sure what console you are on but 3.0 did not gain any meter bar space inside the Toy Box. Higher end consoles (PS4/XBoxOne) have more meter space than the others but they still have the same space essentially as they did in 2.0

@Stitch I think the townspeople are fundamentally part of the Disney Infinity charm. I've never played a Toy Box using them as mission givers and felted cheated or like it could have been better. I would prefer any time they would have to spend on implementing cast members for IGPs to go to something else. Cast members are very limited in usability compared to the townspeople anyway.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:39 pm

A tip for using blocks is that the long blocks and wall piece blocks etc take up the same meter space as a single block so use them if you can to save space

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Erdadi3 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:22 pm

@AdamW13 The answer is no, 3.0 does not have more room. Actually, the graphics meter is smaller. This is, although you can place almost the same amount of blocks than in 2.0, the graphics meter grows faster than in 2.0, which avoids you to place more blocks.

When I started playing 3.0 I realized that some of our boxes from 2.0 were not working in 3.0 (meter was full). We were very used to build huge boxes with lots of details, but we learned that we have to go for another strategy in 3.0. The benefits provided by 3.0 and the new tools are huge! So I recommend looking in all the new posibilities it offers rather than limitations! Create smaller boxes but with great content and gameplay.

Just follow this advise I took from @MightyGitis ... #YellowIsRed !!

rank_100_ftb_10
Erdadi3
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Steamboat Silly » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:31 pm

What about linking boxes? Wouldn't, technically, that create more room for creation?
Support Brain Cancer Research
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations