Toybox very limited?

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Toybox very limited?

Postby VampLena » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:38 am

So since coming into Disney infinity with 3.0 and in a months time have gone back to try out and play 1.0 and 2.0, I've finally decided I'd like to try out toybox creation. So I've looked around and it seems so limited. Is it really so? Or am I missing some things? I've had some ideas that I can't seem to accomplish, but maybe im missing something.

I wanted to do a simple first mod that had Rebel Soldiers and Stormtroopers fighting on some planet, but there does not seem to be any rebel troopers in the toybox, rather just enemies, friendlies seem extremely limited to townspeople and playset npcs that don't have any real combat ability.

Another Idea i wanted to do was a story based toybox which had the playable Rebels -all of them- in as NPC allies or quest givers, but i can't seem to be able to place figures i own as NPCs, thus negating any full on story based toybox.

Finally, I wanted to do a toybox set in space, like in the star wars playsets. I wanted to try to make one in the vein of the old X-Wing alliance video game, but i cant seem to set up a connected series space maps in orbit of the planets like in the toyboxes.

Am I missing something? am I thinking too big?

rank_50
VampLena
Main Console: PS4

Re: Toybox very limited?

Postby Steamboat Silly » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:40 am

IMO, the best way to tell is to go to the Community section in the game menu, Disney toy boxes and look for the most downloaded/liked level. Then you can see what some of the top artists have made and this will give you a better idea of what you can and cannot build. I think it can be limiting for some of your ideas (and it's happened to me as well). I have a feeling that your post will give you some rebels vs empire battles in this thread. May the force be with you. :mrgreen:
Support Brain Cancer Research
#Greymatters

rank_250
Steamboat Silly
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby VampLena » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply! And I have tried many of the community toyboxes, and they all seem very much alike, Racing, straight up combat or platforming. My aspirations would be more toward an RPG, which seems kind of incompatible sadly with Infinity. Though the game itself is still great, and thankfully im not going crazy and didnt miss some hidden things, it just is limited.

rank_50
VampLena

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:55 pm

In the specific examples you gave in the first post, the toy box is limited. You can't use the playable character models as NPCs.

Think of the toy box as playing with your own toys as a kid. You may not have had all the cool toys that were out at the time (like your rich friends maybe did) so you used your imagination and used the closest thing you could find to have a Rebels vs. Stormtroopers battle. Maybe this ends up being GI Joes VS. Stormtroopers.

It's a silly comparison, but it is how a lot of toy box artists get past the limitations on available character models. Some people have the imagination to enjoy it anyway, but understandably, some don't.

That being said, there are townspeople for what you are looking for. The are just very stubby/cartoony.

And while there are a lot of racing and combat heavy boxes, there are also many great story driven ones complete with NPC quest givers. I agree with gotwriter; check out the developer picks to see what is out there. I hope you find what you are looking for! ;)

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby MightyGitis » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Unfortunately many things you want to do are not possible. I third the recommendation that you play created boxes to have a better idea of what CAN be done.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby VampLena » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:30 am

Wow Vasuri and MightyGitis? Thanks for replying! You two are among my favorite toy box makers, i've played all of both of your toyboxes and they are fun, and as a bonus have given me a good insight into what can and cannot be done.

I have noticed that even Disney themselves seem to cheat alittle with their toyboxes, as they do things regular toy box makers cant at times, and I have learned certainly for what I had in mind, making a RPG Toybox, that it truly wont be possible. So I think I might just have to settle with trying to create a dungeon crawler/hack n slash type of toybox, and generally really pull back on my ideas for fun toyboxes to make them work.

rank_50
VampLena

Postby CCRunner524 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:45 pm

@VampLena What toyboxes are you referring to from Disney? All the toyboxes they have produced can be recreated and edited in our version. They do have access to dev tools but what they are doing isn't something we cant recreate.

rank_2000_ftb_10
CCRunner524
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby VampLena » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:42 am

Primarily Olaf's Chilling Challenge (alot of those things arent in the game), also Ezra's Spark of Rebellion. I havent seen Lothal backgrounds and, those modified Super jumping storm troopers. That Guitar Hero-esqe mini game as well.

Just to add, I've enjoyed your Toyboxes too CCRunner.

rank_50
VampLena

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:21 pm

@vamplena not played it so only going by videos of that toy box but the items I know like elsas castle and the frost giant enemy from frozen are unlocked using toy box speedway when it releases but because it's from the infinity team they have it all unlocked

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations