Major building issues!

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Major building issues!

Postby Aquatrez » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 am

So shortly after I started playing 3.0 after it came out, I dreamt up this killer idea of building a toy box where you are sent on a mission to infiltrate a Star Destroyer to protect a Rebel base. I decided to base it in Hoth (one of my favorite Star Wars locales), and have spent the past couple weeks working on building the toy box.

My idea was to start the player on Hoth in the main hangar of Echo Base. You would go on a few smaller missions into sections of the Echo Base interior, which would be built as INteriors. Doing things inside these INterior portions would move the main story forward in the initial toy box, which would then unlock the part where you actually travel to and infiltrate the Star Destroyer. Things started out great--the base was incredibly fun to build and the INterior portions were turning out very nicely.

Now that I've started adding in the creativitoys and linking things together, however, I am running into SERIOUS issues! I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out if this is bad programming on my part or just the game being a glitchy mess. I have a feeling it might be the INteriors causing problems.

First of all, is there a good way to link toy boxes together using the doors? I've linked them no problem, but when I test it out in the Toy Box Game mode, whenever I travel through a door it reverts to an older save of the INterior for some reason. I could only get it to load the most current save when I started the whole game by travelling to that INterior (as in when I loaded the save). Is this normal? Will I just need to re-link the doors every single time I make any changes in the toy box/INterior they're linked to?

This leads to me to the second issue I've been encountering, which is whenever I travel to an INterior it seems to ruin stuff I've set up in the main toy box. Paths have been disappearing or disconnecting their points. And it keeps resetting my Toy Box Game Maker creativitoy so that instead of turning off the wand/editor and allowing all characters, it limits it to only characters without any abilities and allows the use of the wand/editor!

I'm starting to get extremely frustrated and nearly ready to abandon this idea that I've already poured hours and hours into building. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please help! I'm desperate!!!

rank_0_ftb
Aquatrez
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: Major building issues!

Postby Sonicphoto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:18 am

Ok one big thing is that, never save as a toy box game when using multiple doors. That's something I learned from 2.0. But if you still want to use the toy box game maker logic like making the toy box locked to a character or blockin flyers, etc. You can connect the challenge maker to the toy box game logic and set it to test mode on and it will work the same way but save it as a regular toy box. Hopefully this will really help fix a lot of those issues.

rank_250_ftb_10
Sonicphoto
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Aquatrez » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Good to know, thank you! I'll probably just use the challenge maker for the main "infiltration" portion then.

I've still been having issues with paths disappearing or disconnecting between the points, townspeople moving around even when set to stand still, and other stuff like that. I guess I'll just keep repairing them every time I load it up. It's frustrating because there's so much potential, but the game seems to be too complex for its own good!

rank_0_ftb
Aquatrez
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby purplesteve6 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:23 pm

I started a topic about this exact issue here: http://www.disneyinfinityfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=13185#sthash.0hSkSOIM.dpbs

I hate to say it, but there is no fixing your toy box from my experience, and using it as a toy box game. You'll have to use regular toy box mode and a "workaround". I went through the same thing. Once you save your game as a toy box game, a snapshot of that level at that moment is going to be associated with that level (and all copies of that level) forever. I spent HOURS trying every which way to fix it, but nothing worked.

Read the topic above to get the "workaround".

It's a big issue for me. At the toy box summit, they were really hyping the ability to make toy boxes more like playsets, but there are three major issues preventing this from being realized:

1.) This issue we're describing with linking toy boxes through the doors.
2.) There is no dynamic link to doors with text creators (dynamically linking with other toys is glitch, as well)
3.) The camera bug with switching characters on the base. Basically, if you activate a camera and then switch figures on the base, the camera will default back to the last camera transition used, regardless of where you are in your level. The only way around this right now is the have/control fixed cameras for the entire experience.

I feel your frustration. I hope these issues are fixed...soon.

rank_50
purplesteve6
Main Console: Wii U

Postby pjhaan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:01 pm

The advice I have been given by Master Toy box Artists is to always complete all levels before linking them.

rank_1000_ftb
pjhaan
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Sonicphoto » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Ok townspersons need to be generated when going through doors. You can't just place it. But now in 3.0 you can set the behavior of how it will generate so you can still make it generate and also do standstill or dance etc. Has for the paths, no idea on that one cuz they work well for me, sorry :/ .

Also @purplesteve6 linking with doors work and much better than in 2.0. The thing is though that the logic has to be set up differently in some ways. Basically all your moving objects, characters, vehicle, townsperson need to be generated UNLESS they are set to a path. If they are attached to a path you don't need to. Has for text you should be able to set a proposal text and let you change if player accepts proposal. The camera bug happens regardless of doors I believe, and it can be quickly removed by pressing the button the game suggests to press when your first camera activates on the game.

And yes its strongly suggested to have most of the level done seperately. If you are editing when they are connected only make it be tiny edits like changing a text, painting something etc but not do the full level design while connected.

rank_250_ftb_10
Sonicphoto
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby purplesteve6 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:18 pm

Like pjhaan just said, your best bet it to make sure you have your levels perfect before you link them. If you do, you MAY be able to save it as a Toy Box Game with no problems. If you make the mistake of attempting it before you're ready, you will not be able to fix them and still use it as a Toy Box Game. It will default back to the way the level looked before you made any edits. If you try to make a copy a your level and redo it, that information goes with it. You're stuck. A workaround I was given was to link a Toy Box Game Maker to a Level Starter and have it run test mode at launch. Naturally, there is a bug with this, as well. I found that if you had a Toy Box World with a Toy Box Game Maker for each level, each time you adjust the settings of one of the Toy Box Game Makers, the others in the other level would be reset upon saving, exiting, and returning. I had an infuriating experience working with these toys this past week.

@SonicPhoto You can link dynamically to doors with trigger boxes, triggers, buttons, just about anything, but not text creators or confirmers. I tried to get around this by using a Logic Gate as a go-between, but it created all kinds of issues with my toy boxes. If I walk through the door, I had no problems whatsoever. This issues happened only when I linked dynamically. I had a hub level that linked to a sub level. After finishing the sub-level, I wanted it to return to the hub. Like I said, if I had my character physically walk through the door, it was fine. If I tried to make it happen dynamically, my character was returned to the hub, but dropped into empty space as if they were falling and respawning. They kept respanwing in empty space, so the cycle was endless. I had to hard-power the machine down to get out of it. I was even willing to attempt a work around by putting terrain in the bottom-most portion of the level, but when the falling/respawn bug kicked in, the character was actually below that! I tried using a locator tag and simply returning the the start point--neither worked. My character just fell in space endlessly upon returning to the hub. LIke I said, it only happened when I linked the door dynamically (Text proposal when accepted closed a Logic Gate that triggered a door to return).

The camera bug is a bug that I would think could be fixed easily. Exiting the first camera transition isn't really a workaround if you want to have that kind of control over your levels.

rank_50
purplesteve6

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations