Fantasyland Challenge 2/26 - 3/4

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

Re: Fantasyland Challenge 2/26 - 3/4

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:35 am

@Imagineer, Watusimanu, digeek1955, I will try to explain the cameras as best as I can. Our method stems from the ball & camera technique found in dadi's Disneyland Paris toy box. You use a falling object generator to spawn a physics ball into a trigger area that activates a target camera.

Weather vanes are also activated by this trigger area and are used to push the ball. The camera will follow the ball, creating a panning effect.

For our Toad level, we wanted a quick and jerky ride, so we upped the weather vane speed to 20.

To create a "turning" effect, we simply had the original physics ball activate (once it exits the trigger area) a different object generator that was pointing in the desired turning direction (it had to have its own weather vane and trigger area).

You'll notice in Dadi's Snow White level that his camera turning is beautifully smooth. This is in large part due to him slowing down the weather vane speed. The faster you go, the jerkier the ride.

Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. If you guys would prefer, I could put together a quick video tutorial. Just let me know if that would help or if you get the gist of it.

You can also add me if you are on the PS4, and I can help you in-game. Username is Vasuri83

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby Watusimanu » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:52 am

Yeah.....video tutoriall would be helpful lol. I get the gist of it but I'm still a bit confused. Like, how does Dadi get his to stop at certain points? Thank you :D
I'm 12 yrs old and happy to be working with you guys!

rank_500_ftb
Watusimanu
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:

Postby Erdadi3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:58 am

Hello guys!

Thank you all for your kind words, really appreciated! Have been a bit off these days, we need some fresh air and yes... we need a break, we cannot maintain this rythm. Family is asking for a bit of attention, even our parrot!

Will try to explain our camera system, it looks a bit complicated, but lets see...

So, the ride has a central circuit where all the target cameras are set. All of them have Swing as start animation, they are configured to Follow the target and to point to the Triggering actor. There are about 40 cameras in all the circuit, each one pointing to the direction we want and in the point we want them to be activated. Then we have 4 identical circuits around the main camera circuit (we call them north, east, west and south circuits), just like this:

When the ride starts, we pop a ball in each circuit but the central one. Then, we have 4 weather vanes (configured with power 1) to control the direction of the balls. So, what we have here is 4 balls doing the same circuit at the same time but in 4 different places. This is very helpfull because we can now point to the direction we want (north, east, south and west) from the central camera circuit. This way, if we want to turn the camera and follow the ball of the west circuit, we just add a trigger area in that point of the west circuit and activate the corresponding camera, just like this:

Same happens with the rest of circuits (north, east and south):

And this is how it looks with all of them:

Now, we have to declare a circuit as the main one, the one that will control the ride events and the weather vanes. We did it in the north circuit, so, in each corner of the circuit we put a trigger area to control the weather vanes in the right direction, and another trigger area in each stop point, this way we can stop the weather vanes and start the ride animation sequence correspoinding to that point:

And thats all, the Toy Box is open for edition, so you can dowload and play it, start the ride and enter in the editor mode to see how it works. You will see the balls moving slowly in the 4 circuits at the same time and entering in the trigger areas.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards!

rank_100_ftb_10
Erdadi3
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby digeek1955 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:16 pm

@Dadi Thank you very much for explaining! That must have been a lot of work!
I have a dream. I hope it will come true. -Lava

rank_1250
digeek1955
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:42 pm

@vasuri Mr toad ride didn't move automatically for me, I had to drive myself around the course. Must have missed a trigger area or something :(
@erdadi3 that explains it perfectly, I flew around after the ride and couldn't understand what you did until reading that

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Vasuri83 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:53 pm

@Elmo, there were two buttons at the beginning of the ride. "Experience the ride" and "drive through with your own vehicle." Did the "experience the ride" button not work?
35 Featured Toy Boxes
Most Recent: "Pod Prowling"

rank_250_ftb_10
Vasuri83
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:04 pm

ah that could be it, I'll replay later with experience the ride. However I thought that's what I chose as I didn't take a power disc. I'll report back this evening. Hope I just pressed the wrong button. Loved it otherwise, the effects were great

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Vasuri83 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks! Yeah the one button makes a car generate for you, the other does not. Hope it works for you next time :)
35 Featured Toy Boxes
Most Recent: "Pod Prowling"

rank_250_ftb_10
Vasuri83
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:14 pm

@vasuri there's only the one button for me (well the double button and both spawn the red and blue car).

And every time I have to drive the course

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations