What do you look for in a Toy box?

brainstorm ideas and share your toy box worlds

What do you look for in a Toy box?

Postby kdomi71 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:07 am

So I was building a box, and thinking, what do people look for when they are playing a toy box. In other words, what is the formula for a good box? I put a small list together but I was wondering what the community thought.
-A clear beginning middle and end.
-The ability to play multiplayer and still get the story.
-At least one main conflict.
-A form of either comedy irony or suspense.

Let me know if you think I'm missing something and add your thoughts below. I've submitted upwards of 15 toy boxes with no results so I thought I would ask the community directly. I am looking forward to a successful 2.0 toy box career so any help would be great.
I love Disney, the Parks and Star Wars, Marvel and, Disney Infinity.

rank_50
kdomi71
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: What do you look for in a Toy box?

Postby Erdadi3 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:30 am

Interesting topic!

I would add two key components to this formula... Imagination and creativity.

It is very important to let your imagination fly and think of something really unique. Try to imagine a world or a portion of it where you would like to go or visit and then create it.Do it for yourself but also think in the rest of players, what would they like to see or experiment in your Toy Box? And here is where the second ingredient takes place... The creativity! The main problem in the Toy Box is that most of the times it is really hard to reproduce what you have in your head with the available blocks and toys. You will have to look toy by toy and block by block to check which is the best one or which is the best combination of them that helps you to reproduce your world! To reach this level you will need a very good understanding of each block and crativitoy, but that is something you can achieve with practice :)

rank_100_ftb_10
Erdadi3
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 am

To me I enjoy what's there. I do look for creativity the most with 1.0 as it was so hard to make things.
I like small touches (ie a nod to a movie).

I like an ending as well, with 1.0 its block art. But with 2.0 I haven't played many toy boxes yet (I'm trying to get all my figures up to 20 and collect all toys for building)

My advice? Build what you would like to play, that's what I learned lol I love wall e and rushed a toy box but it placed (think it was my block art lol). I also built my favourite toy box that didn't place, I was happy enough because I loved it and played it myself many times. So it means if your box doesn't place you can still enjoy it

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby soratheconqueror » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:41 am

I agree with Elmo STM: Building a toy box based on what you enjoy is very important, not only because it's pointless to make something that you don't care about, but also because you're gonna pay more attention to the details, and that dedication in your box will be evident to the community. If enough people share that same love for what you've enjoyed making, that's the added bonus.

Although good toy box logic and a properly thought out level design don't hurt either, haha :-D

rank_0_ftb
soratheconqueror
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

Postby kdomi71 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 am

Its great to get some advice from you guys. I guess it goes back to the good old quote, if you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life. I am practicing a whole lot and hoping to join the community of artists!

rank_50
kdomi71
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Elmo STM » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 am

We all are hoping for that kdomi would be a dream come true.
I want to wait until the patch before I get frustrated with glitches. Then will be going all out with building when I go current gen soon :) got a few ideas I want to do. Massive levels, hope to do a town from a Disney show or film (don't want to say yet) and the interior of Rapunzel's tower.

Pick a film/show you love and represent it as best you can

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby candyle73 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 am

I like toyboxes that have objectives. I don't care if it's missions, fighting enemies, or collecting, as long as there is some kind of purpose. It makes me so sad when I enter a beautiful Toybox and there are absolutely no objectives. Yes, they look nice but I can only wander around aimlessly so long before I get a hankering to DO something.
Come on Disney, I know you want to announce Darkwing Duck next...

rank_250
candyle73
PSN ID:

Postby Mr. Vasuri83 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:55 am

I love an amusing story, and like candyle73, I love having something to do. Those are the two things that matter to me in 2.0

I know that Disney looks for attention to detail and some type of game within the level.

rank_100_ftb_10
Mr. Vasuri83

Postby kdomi71 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:28 pm

All of this is very true. You could make the coolest block art buy if there is no objective it will never be featured

rank_50
kdomi71
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity toy box creations