Smash Bros. Topic

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Smash Bros. Topic

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:50 pm

October 8, 2014 Update: Pic of the day. The Flying Men that appear in the Magicant stage will ally with the first fighter that touches them. Watch out for their flying cross-chop attacks! They also accumulate damage, and a grave gets erected every time a Flying Man falls in battle. And of course, only up to five Flying Men can appear at a time. - Masahiro Sakurai, Director of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U

Updated from Club Nintendo about the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U soundtrack :)

Club Nintendo
David Archuleta, Pikachu, Disney, Frozen and Smash Bros fan :D

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14
Main Console: Wii U

Postby energonkid » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 pm

@KillingRaptor I'm just not used to the new Lucario. Seems slower than Brawl, and I don't like the new Final Smash as much. I don't know, it might be a bias, because all my friends are using Lucario and I sorta wanta be different.
You teach me and I'll teach you, POKÉMON! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

rank_100
energonkid
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:16 am

Nintendo Minute: Smash-tember – Super Smash Bros. Customized Characters

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby KillingRaptor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:23 am

@energonkid: that could be it yeah. I don't fight with final smashes and so (I'm more of a guy who likes to fight 1 on 1 without items and on Final Destination stages) but I think his Final Smash was only a logic update with the mega evolutions introduced in the new Pokémon games. I have the same with Fox actually, it's my favorite Nintendo character but I just can't get the hang of him in this game...
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:44 pm

October 9, 2014 Update: Pic of the day. Here's the Trophy Shop for the Wii U version. It operates identically to the 3DS version, but it sure has a different feel, doesn't it? - Masahiro Sakurai, Director of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby KillingRaptor » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I love the look of that shop in the Wii U version!
"Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it." - Robin Hood

My Videogame Collection

rank_1000
KillingRaptor
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:00 pm

^Ditto! :)

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:16 am

Smash Bros. Creator Explains How Characters Get on the Roster

The Super Smash Bros. series has always had a wide variety of characters to choose from, and the roster for the latest Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS is no different. So how did the series creator, Masahiro Sakurai, choose who would be in it?

In his column in the latest Weekly Famitsu, Sakurai addressed the fan question, "How are characters selected [to be in Smash Bros.]?"

"We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally." answered Sakurai. A rather straightforward answer. Of course, it's not like we expected anything along the lines of nighttime rituals with a ouija board. But there's more. Continued Sakurai, "We also research games that are currently being developed. After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience."

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

As for who doesn't make the cut, Sakurai noted, "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter."

In the end, as director, Sakurai has the final say on any character ideas that come across his desk. "Basically, any character is accepted if I believe it works [in the game]. On the other hand, even if a character is unique, if they overlap with other characters and aren't unique as a fighter, they are rejected." Sakurai wrote. Essentially, it all boils down to Sakurai's creative eye – and looking at the results, I think it's safe to say his eyes are fine.

... Hopefully his arm will be, soon.

Source: Kotaku

Sakurai on the clone characters in Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS contain a few “clone characters” like previous entries in the series. In his latest Famitsu column, director Masahiro Sakurai explains how they were decided.

Sakurai started out with the following:

There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch.

Sakurai goes on to say that Lucina and Marth have different sword properties. While Dark Pit and Pit are the same, making Dark Pit a separate character was required in order to give him “his unique arm and Final Smash”. And as far as Dr. Mario is concerned, the team felt “old Dr. Mario fans would not agree to Dr. Mario being the same as Mario, so we went on to give him a unique customizable set.”

Sakurai next draws an interesting – if not a bit strange – analogy between eating out at restaurants and the clone characters in Smash Bros.:

This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.

Lastly, Sakurai ends his response with the following:

Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result.

Source: Nintendo Everything

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

Postby ArchuLinShved14 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:58 pm

October 10, 2014 Update: Pic of the day. Unfortunately, I've been too busy working on developing the Wii U version that I haven't had a chance to play Home-Run Contest with my Global Smash Power turned on. So fighters, with the game now released worldwide, how are you faring with your home-run distance and Global Smash Power? I wonder if Ganondorf gives you some advantage. - Masahiro Sakurai, Director of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U

Lenny
ArchuLinShved14

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles