Lego Dimensions

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Lego Dimensions

Postby Elmo STM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:55 am

For me it's a game I'd like to play but it's too expensive for what it is in my opinion. I'd definitely try it down the line at a reduced price

rank_lotso_ftb_mr
Elmo STM
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
Disney ID:

Postby CrissythePoet » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:17 am

< @Romulus77 ... This is exactly what I have been thinking. The only reason other characters would be necessary is if there are characters with exclusive abilities that need to be used (which is an issue in itself) for solving those last few puzzles. Like I said, this may not even be a bad thing for most people, but I want to know how much value am I truly getting out a new character. There is no reason to return to the story mode other than using a character to find a collectible, so that actually only leaves the Adventure Worlds.

Whenever I do finally pick this game up, I'm being extremely careful about who I want and who I need (once again, this is an issue in itself).

rank_50
CrissythePoet
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:

Postby Stitch » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 am

I also wouldn't find playing as these characters as fun as Disney Infinity, because while Disney Infinity characters are suppose to be toys, they have the proper shape and are not limited to being a LEGO minifigure. Also, the LEGO minifigures seem not to have skill trees, and if there is one thing wrong with LEGO games, it is that there are only about 15 original characters with the other hundred or so being reskinned versions of those 15.

rank_1500
Stitch
Main Console: PS4

Postby da-nothing » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 am

Well.. I actually bought Venom, Nick Fury, Rocket Raccoon, Captain America and Hulk after completing their playsets and all there was to them was a little extra mission for Rocket and.. just that. So I replayed their playsets (which actually was a bad decision cause they are just so repetitive).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: Lego games always have high replay value, I actually think they have some of the best replay value. I remember unlocking Mr Freeze towards the end of the first Lego Batman and having to go through many levels to unlock all the golden bricks (or were there just red bricks in that game? can't remember), and those levels were still fun.

Everything else I have said before: Lego has the best technology for manufacturing toys with pretty much no mistakes in any of their pieces. I've seen Infinity and Skylanders figures with bad paint jobs and pieces not glued together well. You might say other toys to life are better cause they have original sculpts, but you forget someone has to design the lego mini figures as well, and it actually is a tougher job than an original sculpt cause you have to get each one to stand out as their own character, and that is awesome. I don't get why some people bash the minifigures, it really is Lego's signature, and they're awesome.

Also, price wise, there's more content in one "Fun Pack" than in one Infinity or Skylanders figure, and even for Lego standards, the price is quite acceptable. Actually in here the price difference between a Funk Pack and a 3.0 Infinity figure is like 20 pesos (around a dollar), so it's pretty much the same.

I am a Lego fan and I love that I'm getting an actual toy that I can use with the other ones I already have plus it can be used in the game, and it comes with a mini version of a vehicle, which can also be used in the game.. In 3 different forms!

Anyway.. I hope someone opens a forum for just Lego Dimensions cause I know there are lots of people who love the idea of this game as much, they just don't seem to be Infinity fans.

rank_100
da-nothing
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:

Postby CJ1045 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:55 am

Well I have it ordered along with the Scooby Doo pack. I love DI but am also really looking forward to Lego Dimensions. my daughter and I are big fans of the Pirates of the Carribean Lego video game - it is ace.

CJ

rank_100
CJ1045

Postby Romulus77 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:23 am

I've played all the older Lego games. Most of the replay value comes from Free Play where you are trying to unlock every character/vehicle/etc. Since those are all sold separately here, that will basically just leave the Gold/Red bricks and minikits. Doesn't seem quite the same IMO.

As for the minifigs themselves, I would point out that aside from a handful of new characters, the vast majority of characters in this game already exist in some other Lego set. So design-wise, they didn't have much to do. :D And further, 29 of the 40 Year one characters have already been in another Lego game, so even less work needed.

As to the price of a Fun Pack - $14.99, for that same MSRP, you could buy the Lego Movie Double Decker Couch set that comes with a vehicle, the big couch, and FIVE characters. So yeah, the value doesn't really seem there to me in a straight up comparison to an existing Lego set.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby CJ1045 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:18 am

As far as I can understand the lock/unlock structure in Lego Dimensions the starter kit gives you Freeplay for the Lord of the Rings, Lego Movie and DC comics worlds as well as the story that goes into all 14 worlds. By buying Scooby Doo set I also get freeplay in the Scooby Doo world.

My understanding is that owning a single character from one of the 14 worlds unlocks access to Freeplay in that world.

CJ

rank_100
CJ1045

Postby CrissythePoet » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Okay, I think you guys are being a bit unfair here.

First of all, @Stitch why do you continue to bash minifigures? They are the frontrunners of Lego toys and widely popular. They have always been loved and always will be loved. There is nothing wrong with their look. Wish I could say the same for Infinity, which always has awkward paint jobs, chipped areas, etc.

Second of all, the methods the player will take to unlock those Gold Bricks/Red Bricks/Minikits are the same as the methods used to unlock characters and vehicles in previous Lego games. Nothing about that has changed except that these collectibles will now unlock new features. I saw in Wizard of Oz Adventure World that the Scarecrow will take you on a quest throughout the land to solve riddles. If the other Adventure Worlds have things like that, there there's isn't anything to be worried about in that aspect.

And I would think you guys would know about the prices of these kind of figures more than others. When you buy this, you get both physical and digital content. You get a minifig that can be taken off the base and a vehicle that also can be taken off the base AND can be rebuilt. You are then able to use this character and vehicle at any point in the game instead of being restricted to one mode similar to another game I know (my replay ability complaint comes in right here, but I'll wait and see how the levels and worlds look when the game releases).

I share some complaints with you guys, but it really seems like you're just grasping with those last few.

rank_50
CrissythePoet
NN ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:18 pm

The difference as I see it is that in Dimensions we already have existing comparable items to judge against. As per my previous example, 5 characters, 1 vehicle, and a "set piece" for $14.99. And we also have quantifiable DLC from previous Lego games. Lego Batman 3 had additional level packs at $2.99 apiece that would unlock additional characters, vehicles, and minikits.

So no, looking at the pricing of Dimensions, I do not see the same value compared to the known value of its component parts.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles