Lego Dimensions

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Re: Lego Dimensions

Postby Stitch » Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 am

My brother has this for Xbox One and I will be honest, I really don't like it and don't plan on getting it after Disney Infinity ends. It is overly expensive for what it offers and if Disney Infinity didn't make it, I am not so sure this will make it much longer either...

Sorry. I realize you wanted the pros, not cons. That's just my honest opinion of the game.

rank_1500
Stitch
Main Console: PS4

Postby Dedede_Man » Wed May 11, 2016 12:11 am

@Stitch
Don't worry, it's better to have a full idea on it than just knowing the positives, after all!
The price is what I'm hesitating the most on. The Starter Pack, at least where I live, is 120 euros. That, as well as the figures and stuff, is a pretty steep investment, especially considering the fact that, imo, the figures aren't as nice as the Infinity figures.
From what I've heard, they have a contract to keep making figures for the next 3 years. Depending on how they go during that time, we'll see if they stick around. Nevertheless, Dimensions is gonna be around for a while.
I'm still considering it. Not gonna bother with Skylanders (Too big of a backlog, as well as WAY too many collector's items and whatnot), so it's either Dimensions or... actually having money. That thought is too scary.
Disney Infinity needs the glory of Cory.
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Steam:

Postby Stitch » Wed May 11, 2016 6:56 am

Vidia brought up the possibility that LD might be able to have Disney and Marvel characters now that DI has shut down. I might actually be interested if this ends up happening. In the end, it is a fun game from what I have played, but unlike Infinity, it is not worth the price imo.

rank_1500
Stitch

Postby rogpalmeruk » Wed May 11, 2016 12:04 pm

I like LEGO games... the two Marvel ones, POTC, Star Wars... i've enjoyed them... the recent DLC levels for avengers are a lot of fun, short and sweet...
If these characters get moved into Dimensions, I'll pick it up... but i'd rather play the force awakens lego game to be honest.. would help if the dimensions starter pack was cheaper... not exactly ready to jump into a third toys 2 life game

rank_250_ftb
rogpalmeruk
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Rapunzel70 » Wed May 11, 2016 4:41 pm

I got the game when it was on special offer for € 80, and some of the level packs for only € 24.

It's genuine Lego figures. They look nice on display, but are not a individual as the infinity figures.
There are no power discs or crystals.
There are fun packs: one figure and one item (vehicle, tool or so),
team packs: Two figures and two items
level packs: a figure and two items, and the figure unlocks access to a new playable level.
Example: Ghostbusters level pack with Venkman unlocks the Ghostbusters level (story based on the first movie) and free play world. Something like an island, themed by Ghostbusters2 New York
If you get only the Slimer or Stay Puft fun pack they unlock only the free play world.

Startpack gives you Gandalf, Wildstyle and Batman with his car, a story with 15 chapters (about 8 hours + playtime, depending how many 'sidequests you do in addition), and the Lord of Rings, lego Movie and DC World free play worlds. You can get all achievements/platinum trophy with the starter kit.

Catch and big difference to Infinity is that every character has a skill set to use in the game (Mind control, flying, diving, cutting gold, cutting silver, catching ghosts etc). Many figures you can rent in-game for studds for 30 seconds by now, and solve little tasks like opening doors, hacking terminals, blowing through walls etc. However if you want to dive you need to buy a character or vehicle with that ability.

Second big difference: No creativity. You cannot build anything by yourself, no levels no places.

I really like it. Played through the story twice so far. A second time after a few months and getting some more figures. Gameplay is pretty much like in other lego games. If you never played a lego game, you should try downloading a demo of Jurassic World or Marvel and see if you like that smashing and building thing :)

There are no rare collectibles. I think Dr. Who was amazon exclusive, but basically you can get ever pack anywhere. :)
"Best Day Ever!!!"

rank_250
Rapunzel70
PSN ID:

Postby Dedede_Man » Wed May 11, 2016 9:53 pm

@Rapunzel70
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer!
Yeah, I'd understand the whole Lego figures thing. Not really my style, but I could get used to 'em.

So, would you say that these level packs are akin to playsets? Like, a story based on the first Ghostbusters... does it have a decent amount of playtime, or is it really short? How about in comparison to playsets? And can all characters play in the stories, or is it just the free play worlds that they can play in? And are the free play worlds all connected together or are they individual? And what about the sizes on them?

Well, the renting thing wouldn't be an issue for me, if I go in, I go full throttle. All or nothing, so I'd end up getting every figure anyway. Plus, it may just be Infinity's cancellation, but these Lego figures are starting to grow on me...

To be honest, the lack of building stuff wouldn't be a huge issue, as long as the game is fun overall.

I've played some of the older Lego games, like Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 and Lego Star Wars: the Complete Saga (Or whatever the name was) and enjoyed those, if that's any indications.

THANK GROP. The rare collectibles would have been a dealbreaker. If they come along down the line, fair enough, but right now I just couldn't be bothered.

Sorry for all the follow-up questions, but thanks for giving a clear answer to start with! I'm strongly considering it now, seeing as it sounds pretty great and there are some characters that I love in there (Krusty, Scooby and Chell come to mind).
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
NN ID:
Steam:

Re: Lego Dimension

Postby Infinite Mickey » Wed May 11, 2016 10:02 pm

@dedede_man
The level packs are like toy boxes to be honest, they are what they say, a level, not a story.
All characters can play in everything, but they do have specific ablilities that can be helpful
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby npgcole » Thu May 12, 2016 1:02 am

I got this game a couple weeks ago, and am really enjoying it. I only have the Starter Pack, the Scooby-Doo pack, and the Back to the Future Packs so far. I was thinking of getting more soon, but now my main focus is finishing my Disney Infinity 3.0 collection before it's too late. :cry:
"I am one with The Force, The Force is with me."

rank_250
npgcole
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Dedede_Man » Thu May 12, 2016 1:10 am

@Infinite Mickey
That makes sense. I just made the comparison to a playset since Rapunzel70 mentioned that they have a story to them, I was wondering what the length of these stories would be. Good to know that the characters can be used all around though; I can pick up my favourites first!

@npgcole
Yeah, I'll need to do the same. I was putting off the Alice figures to save up for Kirby Planet Robobot and its amiibos, but now... I dunno...
I love collecting stuff.

rank_250
Dedede_Man
NN ID:
Steam:

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles