Lego Dimensions

walkthroughs, hints, tips and glitches that are not Disney Infinity related

Infinity 3.0 vs. Lego Dimensions

Postby BrettsDaddy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:45 am

Okay, by now both of these games have been out a month or two...what's the general consensus from people who have played both? My son really likes both, Disney Infinity (we have 2.0 Marvel Edition) and Lego games. I have to admit the prospect of not having to upgrade each year is huge for Lego Dimensions (Game Stop girl said they won't be upgrading for at least 3 years and will just be adding expansion packs each year instead) but I mean Star Wars is Star Wars...it's iconic and my son is a big Darth Vader fan so that makes Infinity 3.0 very appealing too (plus he loves the figures). He certainly isn't getting both so it will have to be one or the other. Thanks for any input and opinions

rank_0
BrettsDaddy
Main Console: PS3

Re: Lego Dimensions

Postby Romulus77 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:54 am

They haven't actually said yet what their plans are for expansions beyond the May releases, only that you won't have to buy another Starter Pack. So there may still be another game disc next year that has to be bought.

Disney Infinity also offers a digital download of the game on each platform, so there is no need to "upgrade" with a new Starter Pack either. You can go to the PSN store and get the download for $19.99 and then add as you want.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby CJ1045 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:27 am

Well we have a big collection of both games. Both are very good and we enjoy a lot. Some of our views in no particular order:

Lego Dimensions
Much more graphically advanced with each world having a distinctive and HD look.
Story mode and levels are excellent, basic world exploration less so
A lot of humour
Characters are clearly lego and only inspired by the original although a lot of the voice acting uses original cast
The toys are much more fun and the building is great
No building in the game itself of your own worlds/levels

Disney Infinity 3.0
Story mode on playsets is weak and you seem to go over the same area several times
Beautifully made characters but little ability to use as toys outside of the game - the Lego ones are regular level on the removable bases link them to the game
Make your own world capability is large but time consuming and size of world can be quite limited. Although a lot of build materials all are in the same cartoon style
Characters are all based on cartoon versions so when original is really live action then likeness is compromised e.g. Princess Leia does not look like Carrie Fisher
A lot of community content but with a lot of variablilty in quality - even the 'recommended' content can be quite rough
Biggest disappointment for me is that the flying is little more than 2d - try doing a loop the loop in space. Hence a completely physically unrealistic 'flip' button. Perhaps a game engine limitation but this seriously loses the space exploration believeability
Interiors are a separate part of the game - daughter, in particular, would like to build houses like she does in Minecraft - biggest turn-off the game for her.

They are both good and both have big limitations. You can get a LOT out of just the starter packs for both. If you buy carefully then the cost of those can be much more reasonable than the general price. DI3.0 is still a lot cheaper than Lego Dimensions even then.

CJ

rank_100
CJ1045
Main Console: Wii U

Postby LittleBabyBlue » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Having played through most of Lego dimensions story mode and couple of level packs I find it just okay. It's basically just like any other lego game, except it costs a lot more, you can't complete any level with just the base game (you can't even complete it if you bought every pack at launch), there's no building ingame and moving the figures around on the base seems redundent.

rank_100
LittleBabyBlue
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby CJ1045 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Well I have just finished start to finish story mode and my PS4 game save is showing about 29 hours. I have spent maybe 1 hour of that time in the worlds outside of story mode. I must say that the Story is awesome and I will be going through sections again for all the extra areas. Some unlocks in the Story mode open up huge extra areas. The one in the Portal Story mode being a standout example where by catching a lift using Chem rather than going through the tunnel, which you would have done if just using the starter set characters, then you get several extra levels in Story mode. This is in addition to the Portal 2 levels and the Portal 2 world.

Have really enjoyed Lego Dimensions so far.

CJ

rank_100
CJ1045
Main Console: Wii U

Postby Sherrif Ben » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:10 pm

I really do enjoy Lego Dimensions.
Is unikitty the onoly figure that can do something with that rainbowblocks? I hope not coz i wasn't planned to buy her but if i want it al completed all gold bricks to collect than that means i need her as well.
And there are other figures i wasn't to buy them but if i want all the gold bricks i almost gonna believe i have to.
But after all it's still nice to play the game.
Hi Ho Silver Away

rank_750
Sherrif Ben
Main Console: PS4

Postby Romulus77 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:05 am

If you're patient, you should be able to access any character you need via Hire a Hero. It will just take some time.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby Sherrif Ben » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:54 pm

I know that function but when i use it i never gets my money back from it. vAnd sometimes i have to use it twice coz when i finish 1 part comes part 2 and need a gain a figure i don't have.
Ah well, i'll see how i'm gonna deal with it.
Hi Ho Silver Away

rank_750
Sherrif Ben

Postby Sherrif Ben » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:45 pm

I have a little issue in the Simpsons Adventure World.
I've rebuld/repaired the Springfield school area. According to the map there should be a golden brick in the school.
The only thing i can do there is with a wizard like Gandalf to draw Skinner on the schoolboard and the only reward that i get is some coins.
Does anybody knows how i can get the golden brick by the Springfield school?
Hi Ho Silver Away

rank_750
Sherrif Ben

PreviousNext

Return to other video games and consoles