Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters!

Re: Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters

Postby Muffin Man » Sun May 10, 2015 2:05 am

rank_50
Muffin Man
Main Console: Wii U

Postby FlameChampion267 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:07 am

About that plumber fixing leaky pipes metaphor...

If you hire a repairman, they know what they are working on. If you hire from a company that is world famous for getting the job done, above and beyond no less, they usually send in enough people to get the job done.

rank_100_ftb
FlameChampion267
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Romulus77 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:08 am

I wasn't around during the pre-1.0 hype, but all I see of that backwards compatible statement was one interview link. It doesn't seem like anything they were riding on as a promise in the greater media push of 1.0. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I can clearly see why that wasn't possible. Imagine having to program all those 2.0 characters twice to work on 2 totally separate game engines. Yikes.

rank_1500_ftb
Romulus77

Postby semerien » Sun May 10, 2015 2:13 am

Agreed Romulus. Especially since you would only be able to use that 2.0 character in the 1.0 Toy Box, which is far inferior to the 2.0 Toy Box.

rank_500_ftb_10
semerien
Main Console: PS4
Disney ID:

Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters!

Postby MightyGitis » Sun May 10, 2015 2:13 am

The fact that the backwards capability thing was dropped into this was hilarious. I feel if you listen to JVs explanation on play set forward capabilities you would understand.

1.0 did not have the different color sparks. They would have had to strip 2.0 characters of all these extra abilities that you all are clamoring for right now for 1.0 characters just to push them into 1.0 where they would be used as Toy Box only characters in a Toy Box that was weak in power compared to the new 2.0 Toy Box. At some point a decision had to be made as to whether to spend the money on it or spend it elsewhere. As much as we all had problems with 2.0 try to imagine a 2.0 where resources were spent also on mutilating 2.0 characters to squeeze them back into 1.0?

Backwards capability was a nice notion but it wasn't feasible for them to do it if they wanted to move forward.

For me the only reason I could see for playing 1.0 at this stage would be the play sets. Which all use 1.0 characters and you wouldn't be able to use any 2.0 characters in the play set anyway.

rank_2000_ftb_10
MightyGitis
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby InfinityApprentice » Sun May 10, 2015 2:21 am

@FlameChampion267 In the first part of this year, the rest of my family was getting into Disney Infinity and wanted to collect a bunch of 1.0 figures.

We noticed that our local Toys R Us didn't have the full line up of 1.0 characters anymore (they have one large isle for it, and the biggest in-store selection in our area) so we started looking around. We checked local retailers to no avail, and was told by 2 out of 3 Game Stop locations I called that 1.0 characters had been discontinued, and they would not be getting more in.

Checking the shelves of 1 TRU, 2 Best Buys, 2 Targets, 2 Wal-Marts, and 3 Game Stops we found a small supply of 1.0 characters, many marked as low as $7.00. The same characters missing in stores were also sold out online and reselling for upwards of $40 each on eBay.

I did some internet searching and found here on the forum the mention of 1.0 characters retiring as early as the August before (I believe the particular figure discussed in that thread was Violet). Most noticeably missing from all the major retailers (including DisneyStore.com) was Violet, Dash, Mrs. Incredible, Syndrome, Mater, Francesco, Mike Wazowski, Davy Jones, and Randall Boggs.

In subsequent trips to said retailers, none of the 1.0 characters ever returned. :cry:

So either my area sold out fast, or Game Stop lied to me (twice :x ) and the big retailers just never cared to restock them.

I'm curious to know now if anyone else experienced this same issue. Does anyone still have 1.0 on their local shelves? Or have they all moved to 2.0 stock now?
"Some imagination, huh?" Mickey Mouse, Fantasmic

rank_750
InfinityApprentice
Main Console: PS3

Postby TOlofter » Sun May 10, 2015 2:27 am

I can still easily find most 1.0 characters. Especially the multi packs. Anna & Elsa have become harder to find however. But understandably so with how Frozen obsessed so many are.

However, JV did say Jack Sparrow, Mr Incredible and MU Sully would see singles releases during 2.0. Did that ever happen yet?

rank_100
TOlofter
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby BandAid » Sun May 10, 2015 2:30 am

This thread is more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Figures...Petitions...Capitalism...So much fun!

Here's me two cents (which you are getting for free - lucky you):

I really do wish the 1.0s had special moves that differentiated themselves from each other. But there is a concern that getting upgrades could mean fewer new characters as mentioned by JV on Friday. Upgrading all 29 at once could potentially limit the lineup of 4.0, 5.0, etc.

Some have floated the idea of upgrading the characters a few at a time, but that begs the question - how do you determine which character to upgrade when?

Luckily, about half of these characters are scheduled to have a movie released in the relatively near future. I propose they upgrade the characters with the release of their new movies. That'd mean:

The Incredibles 2 - 2016 (I'm not sure that date is right. I got it from IMDB)
Toy Story 4 - 2017
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 2017
Frozen 2 - No listed date on IMDB

In addition to the upgrades, Infinity could release a couple of new characters from these franchises. If they want to go nuts, they could make a new Playset for these newly minted movies.

Now, each Playset in 2.0 and 3.0 has at least five figures (so far). It seems the team prefers to have a robust cast for each Playset. With the characters they already have from 1.0, that burden is significantly reduced.

The Incredibles could add Frozone, Jack Jack, and maybe a new villain with a Playset.
Toy Story could add Rex, Zurg, and any number of characters with a new Playset.
Pirates could add Will Turner and a new villain with a Playset.
Frozen could add Marshmallow, Kristoff, and Sven (if they fix the quadruped issue) with a new Playset.

That way, instead of worrying about having enough characters to round out a Playset, they update pre-existing characters and create two more. This would actually give them more space in the new character lineup to dedicate to our popular requests. Additionally, they would only be updating a handful of characters at a time, which is a lot less daunting than doing all 29 at once.

Unfortunately, that still leaves the following properties that do not have a movie coming out sometime soon needing an update:

Cars
Lone Ranger
Sorcerer Mickey
Monsters, Inc.
Nightmare Before Christmas
Phineas & Ferb
Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph

What did you expect? I never said it was a perfect plan.

Ultimately, I personally would not mind paying a few bucks for DLC upgrades of 1.0 characters.

rank_50
BandAid

Postby Pcboy99 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:43 am

I'm happy to get better moves for my 1.0 characters, but not if it takes away from creating new characters

rank_100
Pcboy99
Main Console: PS3
PSN ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, Rules and Information