Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters!

Re: Let's raise our voice! More abilities for 1.0 Characters

Postby The Scientist » Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 pm

I think they should go over all 1.0 content and tech, especially match up the 1.0 and 2.0 characters to 3.0 advancement status. 1.0 was the foundation, the disney infinity tower of games must not leave their foundations to crumble.

Basically they should have been doing this all along, modifying all previous tech and content along with all the advancements and versions of the game they make.
On an Orbital Fortress in between the earth and the moon.

rank_50
The Scientist

Postby Infinite Mickey » Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 pm

@megadrive and would ya look at that, a 13 year old started it! ;-D
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
Main Console: Wii U
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby Elvick » Wed May 13, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm just going to address things I've read in here against the idea.

First of all, it's not "classless" to want a company to provide a particular thing to us; paying consumers. If Disney Infinity and all it's content were 100% free, then yes it would be a bit much to ask for anything so adamantly. But the figures are over $10 a pop, the starter packs are pricey, the Play Sets are $30+, and don't get me started on those random packs of power discs. Plus third party accessories. We are paying consumers. We are free to say whatever we want, it isn't "classless" or "wrong" to do so. Is it "classless" to want any upgrades between 2.0 and 3.0? I mean, that's extra work. How dare we expect more! How rude. They work hard! Isn't the same thing with new textures enough? Where do you get off demanding they do more? Where does this attitude end exactly? It's completely silly.

I have all 1.0 characters, I bought the 3DS version [granted for around $20], PS3 version of 1.0, PS4 version of 2.0, PS Vita version of 2.0, I've purchased 3rd party accessories. And I'll be buying 3.0 when it comes out, and all it's characters eventually. I only have 12 more characters left from 2.0 to get, but I'll be wrapping that up by the time 3.0 comes out hopefully [just ordered 3 more and a pack of power discs two days ago]. I think that entitles me to ask for what I want out of the game. If the team working on the game isn't happy with that, then I'd like them to personally refund me all the money I've spent on the series and give me future content for free. Then, and only then, will I accept whatever is given without a peep. Something tells me that the team is fine with suggestions, as they are always asking and listening to us. Whether they do it or not is another story, they still listen and that's important. So why are try to shame people for doing what they are clearly okay with?

Money. 1.0 characters, whether your local store has them or not, are still out there being sold. Along with Play Sets. And the constant sales on them are clearly not helping to get rid of that stock. I'm sure retailers would be very happy to have something to assist them in selling out their remaining stock of 1.0 characters. Updating the 1.0 characters to be inline with 2.0 standards would be free marketing for characters many feel are obsolete and unfun to play. I even found Syndrome locally in Canada earlier this year. Many new players haven't even started to buy in yet. So 1.0 characters are going to still be purchased for as long as they are available and new people come in, and if they play worse how many characters before they don't bother with 1.0 anymore?

Gameplay. Many new players will want to pick up 1.0 characters at 2.0 or 3.0. I started with 2.0 and loved it very much, started to buy up 1.0 characters and the PS3 starter pack to play 1.0 and it's playsets. And while some characters are still pretty fun to play, Incredibles characters, Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey [even if he's very limited, the particle effects and functionality of his moves are great], Elsa... most aren't very fun at all. Toy Story characters, MU characters pretty much anyone with a shoulder dash are tedious and boring to play.

It's already confusing enough for the average consumer about Play Sets and their lack of support for all characters. It was super confusing to people that only the survival modes could support any character in the Toy Box Games for 2.0. Realizing characters even have functionality differences is not a good way to intro people into the series. This will harm sales, not help. I don't think the average consumer will be able to know why Woody, such a popular character and from a massive IP, plays so poorly.

Weapons/Tools. These are not replacements for core abilities being terrible. Especially since it makes all characters play the same. That's kind of the problem with 1.0 characters, that they don't play like you'd expect those characters to play and a lot of them are clones of each other for over $10 a piece. [with some exceptions that I mentioned before] I never use tools. I don't like the concept of using them, I want to play as the character and to feel like I'm actually playing that character. Some 1.0 characters as mentioned twice do feel pretty good and have abilities that make a lot of sense for that character, but a lot do not. And they could all use a super because it's a core gameplay improvement that is severely lacking when playing a 1.0 character.

2.0 character upgrades. This just comes off as an attempt to say there's a "slippery slope". Why would 2.0 characters need to be improved? Their core gameplay is sound as it is. It'll stand up going forward. 1.0 character gameplay doesn't, that's the problem. How is scaring and shoulder dashing fun gameplay when you've got characters from 2.0 doing far better? Lack of supers being the most obvious reason though. I'd imagine 3.0+ will still have supers. And no abilities like climbing, and flying for any of them? *sigh* Super Jump for a few is nice I guess, but personally aside from Hulk, Super Jump is pretty lame of an ability. [does anyone else have a comparable fully upgraded super jump?]

Resources, yeah they are finite for what they're doing. Those saying Disney "can't" give more money are lying to themselves however. They could, they are massive. They could put more money into the game if they wanted to, it's just that they don't have to. They have a budget that works for them and that's understandable, but I think that upgrading 1.0 would show a lot of good will to consumers and retailers still stocking that harder and harder to shift product. Because ultimately, all 1.0 characters are now Toy Box characters and the Play Sets sitting around are useless [as play sets] unless someone is playing 1.0, which I can't imagine is that many people [especially if they're on PS4, Xbox One, or PS Vita where it's not even possible to play 1.0]. Hopefully the game discs or w/e they call them in 3.0 will help give those characters more love and use, but that remains to be seen.

Power Discs being a replacement for specials... I don't even get why anyone would think this when 2.0 characters would have both of them. "Would you like two sandwiches or one for the same price?" Um...

_____

Obviously I want 1.0 characters to be upgraded. I think some are generally alright as is, and could just go for a special upgrade and an ability if it fits their concept [like Syndrome flying]. People seem to forget the figure creation aspect of a new character. I'd imagine they could update a good number of characters for the loss of one. The designing and making of a figure isn't a free process.

I think they could do a lot of 1.0 characters for a 2.0 standard character, especially since some of the characters don't need as much work as others to have supers, or abilities added. Randy would be pretty easy considering [for a special that is]. He can already turn invisible when creeping. So the texture work is done, and they already have the special for being invisible to reuse.

I'd imagine they have been using animation assets for multiple characters since the start as well. The female characters look like one model just slightly modified. Ralph could probably use modified Hulk animations for climbing too. Not all the work necessary is going to be from scratch. And they obviously reused many abilities between characters, some being direct clones of each other and all.

I'd prefer my favorite character [Jack Skellington] to not play so lame over getting new characters that will take me awhile to afford anyway. You guys must have tremendous disposable income, I'm envious.

Why are fans being punished because their favorite character was popular enough to be included in the first game? No offense to the developers, but had they just made 1.0 better this wouldn't really be as big of a problem. 1.0 is a solid game, but combat wise it was really basic and many characters [MU..] were just terrible at combat, the MU play set wasn't even designed for combat. Yet we are supposed to be happy with them as is going forward in combat oriented games? Nah...

I don't want to have to use items to make characters more fun to play. They should be fun by default. My 2cents.

rank_0
Elvick

Postby Cellsai » Thu May 14, 2015 1:45 am

rank_250
Cellsai
Main Console: PS3

Postby JustNCredible » Thu May 14, 2015 5:34 am

I think I'm noticing a big problem. There's two separate requests going on here, and we're confusingly lumping them together. The first request is for a fair playing experience compared to the other toys. The second request is for a more fun experience while playing. I think we need to ask ourselves what is the difference between what is "fun" and what is mechanically "equivalent". Are some legacy characters missing the locomotion upgrade? Is there a solution to this in the form of a Tool/Pack? Are some legacy characters missing specials? Is there a solution to this in the form of a Tool/Pack? Are some legacy characters lacking in combos/basic attacks? Is there a solution to this in the form of Tools/Packs?

It's a fact that the legacy characters are mechanically/functionally lesser because they are lacking specials when every other character has one. This is a clear disadvantage. Specials never should have been forgotten from a dev standpoint; this honestly surprised me.

It's a fact that some legacy characters could have taken advantage of the locomotion updates due to their character's features in their own universe. This is more of a sticky situation, since not all characters can use these abilities anyway. So to say Syndrome is cheated (functionally) is almost like admitting that some characters have an unfair advantage over others, since there's no generic Tool/Pack that would allow any character to fly. Look at it this way: Iron Man, Thor, Falcon, Maleficent, Baymax, Nova, etc. can all fly. None of the other characters in the game can unless in a vehicle. Is that fair functionally? Not really. Should the figures be viewed as more valuable? Arguable. But we all understand because that's who those characters are. So while this would give a few legacy characters "unfair" advantages compared to their peers, it is still a fact that they're being cheated because they "deserve" to have them in game.

This brings us to basic attacks. Technically, functionally, there's a work around to make these characters on-par with any 3.0 character. It's the updated Tools/Packs. I understand that it may not be "as fun" but that is more of a matter of opinion than what is a "fact." For instance, if I was playing with Mike and my brother Hulk or Darth Vader, I wouldn't want Mike to be able to hold his own with his bare hands; to me it doesn't make sense when Mike is anything but a fighter. I would much rather give him a pirate sword to play with, which gives him a sense of "fighter." Anyway, I'm just trying to stress my point that this is a situation of opinion more so than fact.

There is a work around with basic attacks to make all characters on-par (whether it's as fun or not to the individual), where as in the case of specials and locomotion, the legacy characters factually under-perform as a group. When we start asking for better basic attacks because it's "more fun," we might as well be asking for any number of different things that could make the game more fun, including complaining about any character in the game that we feel doesn't perform as he should (ex. Rocket Raccoon & his shoulder charge; do we ask for them to update him as well with a combo?). This is more opinionated than an actual handicap in their performance since they can use a variety of melee weapons. Not that in a perfect world I wouldn't want this someday, but I think we should pick our battles, since specials and locomotion would be relatively easy compared to completely re-hauling the 1.0 characters combos. Agree or disagree, I just feel like asking for better basic attacks is much more of an open-ended problem, especially when some people will be content with 2.0-level combos and others will ask why they didn't just give them 3.0-level combos while they were at it. Personally, if they go back and add new combos I would be in the latter group. If you really want better basic attacks, that should be a whole other request/petition/discussion; these figures should already be able to fight equivalently in 3.0 in basic attack terms.

So in the interest of getting the ball rolling and working on updating the 1.0 characters, I'm only asking for locomotion and specials, and I'm going to give the new Tools/Packs a chance, because to me it sounds awesome. I still love running around with Sully while using his huge version of the Atlas Blade lol, which he can now use better combos with!

EDIT -
Just never-mind me lol, I've been thinking about this thread too hard last few days, don't know what I'm saying or thinking anymore :lol:
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Elvick » Thu May 14, 2015 6:46 am

rank_0
Elvick

Postby JustNCredible » Thu May 14, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm saying there's two separate complaints being jumbled together, and it's causing a lot of confusion. This is why it seems like even the fans can't agree on what we want, which could hurt our chances overall at getting something done about it.

The first is that the legacy characters are lacking due to not having their own specials as well as those few characters who deserve locomotion. Those are the most obvious functions missing, which is something that should have been addressed by now. No one can argue that the legacy characters are obviously missing these core elements of the game.

The second complaint, about the characters not being as fun because of their basic attacks, is an opinion, and one that isn't easily addressed. A lot of us are making this case seem to be that legacy characters are the ones being neglected in this regard, and that we feel they are less valuable, but this isn't entirely true. Rocket Raccoon may be one of the only examples from 2.0 but it doesn't change the fact that he can only shoot and use a shoulder charge, which is what a lot of us are saying we hate about the legacy characters. So this complaint goes beyond our desire for attention to the legacy's (which is what this was supposed to be about), to fixing any and all characters that we just don't feel are "fun". I would completely understand and fully-back this complaint right now if the legacy characters couldn't fight on-par with the new figures, but thanks to the supposedly updated melee weapons, they can. Don't get me wrong, I want Woody and Jesse as well as Jack Sparrow and Barbossa to feel like completely different characters too, but right now, it doesn't effect their functionality since they technically have every ability the newer characters have thanks to their updated Tools/Packs.

I'm looking at this problem from a development perspective, and looking at all the figures equally on a playing field. I'm first tackling the problem of functionality, which is concrete, before I tackle the idea of "fun," which is abstract. I agree that I would like more complicated combos for all characters eventually. Agree to disagree, but I feel like the simpler the request, the more likely it will get done.
Movie Magic Video Contest Grand Prize Winner: Battle In The Locker

rank_500_ftb
JustNCredible
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby InfinityApprentice » Thu May 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Don't forget that the legacy characters each have their own mini game in 1.0, and in 2.0 they each got a skill tree (even if it is missing special moves that certain players want). Legacy characters are compatible with the 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 games. They originally retailed for $12.99.

2.0 characters have a skill tree and special moves, but no mini games. They are compatible with the 2.0 and 3.0 games. They originally retail for $14.99.

So, 1.0 characters actually came with MORE features for the price.

This isn't an argument for adding or not adding special moves for legacy characters. I just wanted to mention it. ;)
"Some imagination, huh?" Mickey Mouse, Fantasmic

rank_750
InfinityApprentice
Main Console: PS3

Postby FlameChampion267 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:34 pm

^ Don't know where you shop but single figures have always been $13.99 everywhere I've seen them.

rank_100_ftb
FlameChampion267
Main Console: Xbox One
PSN ID:
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements, Rules and Information