The Star Wars Universe comes to Marvel Comics in 2015!

The Star Wars Universe comes to Marvel Comics in 2015!

Postby Sheriff Woody » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:59 am

The Walt Disney Company's Lucasfilm Ltd. and Marvel Entertainment are joining forces to bring new Star Wars adventures to readers across the galaxy, with Marvel granted exclusive rights to create and publish Star Wars comics and graphic novels beginning in 2015.

The agreement marks a homecoming for the Star Wars comic books. Marvel Comics published the first Star Wars comic book, STAR WARS #1, in March 1977, which went on to sell more than 1 million copies. Marvel Comics published its STAR WARS series for nine years. In 1991, Dark Horse Comics took over the license, publishing fan-favorite titles like Dark Empire and Star Wars: Legacy. Last year, Dark Horse released The Star Wars #1, an adaptation of George Lucas' original rough-draft screenplay for the film, garnering rave reviews and national media attention and ranking among the top-selling Star Wars comics of all time.

"Dark Horse Comics published exceptional Star Wars comics for over 20 years, and we will always be grateful for their enormous contributions to the mythos, and the terrific partnership that we had," said Carol Roeder, director of Lucasfilm franchise publishing, Disney Publishing Worldwide. "In 2015, the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca will make the lightspeed jump back to Marvel, to begin a new age of adventures within the Star Wars universe.

"We here at Marvel could not be more excited to continue the publication of Star Wars comic books and graphic novels," said Marvel Worldwide Publisher and President, Dan Buckley. "The perennial brand of Star Wars is one of the most iconic in entertainment history and we are honored to have the opportunity to bring our creative talent pool to continue, and expand Star Wars into galaxies far, far away."

"We're incredibly excited by this next chapter in the Star Wars saga," said Andrew B. Sugerman, executive vice president of Disney Publishing Worldwide. "Bringing together the iconic Lucasfilm and Marvel brands to tell new stories will allow us to continue to thrill lovers of the original Star Wars comic books and entertain generations to come."

Marvel has continued to push comic book publishing forward with innovations and experiments like motion comics and digital-only releases, in addition to its deep, ongoing catalog of monthly series and graphic novels created by some of the industry’s most gifted artists and writers.

STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks in the United States and/or in other countries of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © 2013 Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved.

SOURCE: marvel.com

Sheriff
Sheriff Woody
Main Console: PS4
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Re: The Star Wars Universe comes to Marvel Comics in 2015!

Postby Agent C » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:50 am

I just saw this, and I am looking forward to it. I guess I'm looking forward to the streamlining of the canon in general. Dark Horse had some nice stories. Let's just hope they keep away from the crossovers.

rank_500
Agent C
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Musicboy74 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:33 am

At first I thought this meant that there would be a Star Wars/Marvel crossover... good thing it's not. This is pretty cool though!
Want to join the Disney Infinity Fans Steam group? Click the globe icon!

Lotso
Musicboy74
Main Console: Xbox One
XBL ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Postby ac4155 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm looking forward to see what Marvel make of this. But I still thinks its a shame for Dark Horse and what they were doing.

Also means I've got this year to buy the rest of the Dark Horse graphics novels I want to complete my few collections. Don't want to risk Marvel not republishing them.

rank_50
ac4155

Postby Agent C » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Your rig! Dark Horse did do a fabulous job. The Crimson Empire series was very good. I'm hoping that Marvel can match the feel of the Dark Horse series.

As an aside, Dark Horse did have a run of comics called Star Wars Infinities. Just saying.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Elsa's Marshmallow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 pm

I don't recall Marvel/Star Wars Crossovers when Marvel first had Star Wars as a title, but the stories and artwork sometimes left a lot to be desired.
Motormania is NOT a crime!

rank_0
Elsa's Marshmallow

Postby Agent C » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Looking forward to January 14. Star Wars number 1.

rank_500
Agent C
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Postby Chewbacca » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:55 pm

I just picked up issue 1 of Darth Vader the other day. It was an enjoyable read in my opinion. I would rate it an 8.5 out of 10
Chewie is best character

rank_1250
Chewbacca
NN ID:

Postby Infinite Mickey » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:09 pm

^Hey, you're back! Awesome!

This looks like a cool series, but I just never find myself getting into comics unfortunately.
Proud Wii U owner, and thinks that the console is the perfect Next Gen.

rank_1500_ftb
Infinite Mickey
NN ID:
Disney ID:
Steam:

Next

Return to Disney books and comics