Your Opinion: Mistake to have so much of the Toybox Locked?

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Your Opinion: Mistake to have so much of the Toybox Locked?

Postby Tinker Tom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:35 pm

I have been thinking about how Disney got me soooo excited about the toy box mode, and I bought EVERYTHING on launch day... and I feel a little sad that I can't spend hours building the levels I want because staple items are still locked.

I played through LR, Pirates, and I'm playing Incredibles right now... and honestly a little bored with the "go here and Bash that" levels. I had a lot of fun with Lone Ranger and Pirates... but it is funny that the series I was most excited about that seems to bore me to death.

Anyways I want your opinion on if Disney starting with soooo many Toybox items locked is a good or bad thing for the game.

I'm just concerned that as a normal game Disney is average to below average with the play set levels. Nothing special here. The gem is the toybox... but will so many people get put off by the grind that we may loose some player base? I really wish that a lot of the staple items would have started with the system so that people could jump right into building.

So let me know what you think?

rank_100
Tinker Tom
Main Console: Xbox One

Re: Your Opinion: Mistake to have so much of the Toybox Lock

Postby Flynn. » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 am

I was also let doen. It is time consuming to get the items you want, and you start with so little...

rank_50
Flynn.
Main Console: PS4

Postby StormbringerGT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:53 am

Nah gave me something to work for.

rank_100
StormbringerGT
PSN ID:
XBL ID:

Postby Turbo-tastic » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 am

Well I do get bothered that I still need to unlock a lot of items to make what I want... but if it was all just there straight away there really wouldn't be much point to getting the spins and such.

I do kinda wish there were more playsets though... with longer storylines.
Turbo - Game jumping at its finest

King Candy/Turbo and Rex for Infinity!

rank_250
Turbo-tastic

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:13 am

Toy Box mode was what I bought it for, and, yes at first I was mad that so much was locked, particularly the creative and action toys.

But... it took me less than 10 days to unlock it all, and for many of those days I wasn't trying (busy doing other things in life). Until I realized there were only 180 spins in the vault I was pretty upset but now I have spins and nothing to unlock.

Oh, I guess I'll unlock the playsets as I go, but I have TONS of stuff to build worlds with now and am very happy. Would it have been better to have more unlocked? Yeah, probably so, particularly the stuff that is not so decorative but functional. But overall I am not complaining.

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Tinker Tom » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:27 am

I just caved in and am now having a character sit on a fan and spin in a car to level while I clean the house.

The Wii U main controller is really easy to place on the floor so that you have a lock on trick spins.

I really want to just have fun in the toy box, and I got a lot of the stuff playing through the levels. Now I'll just work on leveling my characters as I do other stuff to have the toys I want.

rank_100
Tinker Tom
Main Console: Xbox One

Postby Skellington0327 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:38 am

I bought Infinity solely for the toy box, but I find myself really enjoying the playsets. I personally like working to try and get spins to get stuff from the vault. Yeah it sucks that a lot of what I needed to make what I wanted was stuck in the vault, but it made me think of other stuff to do and make and I've really enjoyed that. I made the most epic Cave of Wonders, that I'm really proud of, and I never would have done that if everything was unlocked. I would have just made the things I wanted and then got bored with toy box and that would have been disappointing.
"The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it." - Rafiki

"You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from, your only limit is your soul." - Gusteau (Ratatouille)

rank_500
Skellington0327
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:25 am

I can't imagine getting bored with the toy box -- even with everything unlocked I've yet to even scratch the surface (mostly I'm just playing with logic controls to try and get actions and things to occur independently of what you do with your character). I suspect that one day I'll actually get around to building something, but I'm going to mostly wait for the iPad app for that.

I suspect they are going to refine this process, though -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if the next stage we see DLC that can be bought outright, instead of (in essence) subsidizing it through the figures. They are definitely going to add more stuff to the vault, because this wave of characters can easily exhaust it and they want us to buy more (whether it's figures or DLC).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Nibelilt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:14 am

Kind of annoyed, because I was going to go through the play sets more gradually and play more in toy box during that time, though I still have plenty to use anyway. I now completed Monsters U and Incredibles already. I was planning to do one play set each month.

I also found out you get a free spin for each figure you play with on the 3DS version, which is cool. Thanks to that, I now have a lot more extra spins to use, though I have found most of the stuff from most of the play sets anyway.

Of course, I'm used to this from Minecraft anyway. Now, if you think that Infinity is a grind... Try Survival Mode in Minecraft. Certain structures can just be boring to gather resources for(and if you wanted to keep the environment intact, well...). I got so tired of chopping down wood for my tree-village that I haven't played for a couple of weeks now. I know I could use Creative Mode, but I prefer the sense of accomplishment I get from, and the actual usefulness, of things like that in Survival mode. I've had an idea for sand houses in the desert next to my main base for months, that I've barely worked on because it got annoying to shovel through it(literally). I think I just need to take a break from these things for a while.
- STEEL YOUR BUTT -

Left DIF: bluntly, non-Infinity topics feel soulless

rank_1250
Nibelilt
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:

Next

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions