Any strategies for Vault Spins?

any gameplay related general discussions that are not questions or help go in this forum

Any strategies for Vault Spins?

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:54 am

Dear folks,

I've been playing since Monday but other than the one spin I made (basically because the game kept nagging at me to do it) I've been accumulating spins just in case there is any "trick" to getting the cool stuff. Other than mixing it up until you see something you like, do any of you have any tips about the best way of using your spins up?

With literally hundreds of items in the vault and only 30 spins or so (at the moment -- but I can see I'd be unlikely to ever get more than 100 spins unless there is some other trick I don't know about) I don't want to make a mistake. OTOH, if there isn't any trick but just a "ya pays your money and ya takes your chances" I'll just go ahead and spin away.

Oh -- I should note that the prime reason for getting Infinity for me was the Toy Box mode and the creation of my own worlds/games. Although I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun in the supplied playsets themselves.

TIA for any ideas.

rank_250
Kelleytoons
Main Console: PS4

Re: Any strategies for Vault Spins?

Postby fdanielix » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:04 am

here's one: wait until you get lots of spins, (i waited till 38) each page has 16, find a toy you are looking for and if you have 16 or more spins you are guaranteed to get it.

Edit: forgot to mention shuffle to get a good selection of toys you want
20 Featured
Toy Boxes:

Caleb Dume: Face The Past
Curse Lift-Off

rank_1500_ftb_10
fdanielix
Main Console: Wii U
PSN ID:
NN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am

Yeah, I kind of thought about that -- maybe even "loading up" on the page so I had a good selection of ones I wanted (but then you take the chance that you'll miss one you want -- right now my page has the Epcot Spaceship Earth and since I live in Florida I'm really rather fond of having that).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby J_Skellington » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 am

rank_50
J_Skellington
PSN ID:
Disney ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 am

Hmmm, that's one I never thought of.

Not a bad idea on a character I either don't like much (so I don't mind "wiping") or one I really love (so I don't mind replaying again and again). Thanks.

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:01 pm

After looking around the web (and reading here) I'm now of the opinion that in the XBox version of the game at least there IS no way to wipe a character, nor is there a way to play as "Guest" short of logging out of the XBox and logging in as someone else (and then you won't be guest but rather that other person). Which is interesting -- I can understand why Disney wouldn't want you to reset your stats (for the very reason of gaming the spin) but if I had kids who were playing (or if I ever wanted to restart the game) there's no way they can build any character I've already played inside of "my" game (so I guess it's basically all or nothing at all).

Oh well, after doing a careful count I came to around 500 Disney Infinity Vault items, so with the characters available and announced if you do level them all up you can get very close to having everything in the vault anyway. That's not too bad, especially since you *can* game the vault somewhat (just stack the odds in your favor with the mix and you can essentially get a 70% or higher success rate -- so even with the current characters you should be able to get about 80% of all the "good" stuff in the vault).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Postby TravisSch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:38 pm

I would take fdanielix's idea (get 16 spins and use them at once) but adapt it a little bit. Shuffle the board a few times until you find a bunch of toys you want in one board. Then use 16 of your spins to get those toys. That way you don't waste your spins going for just one toy and instead can have a few toys you plan on using.
Follow me on Twitter: vmktravissch
I talk about Disney, Disney Infinity, and other stuff! :)
^Sheriff Approved

rank_100
TravisSch
XBL ID:

Postby Kelleytoons » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah, and actually you can refine this strategy a bit to get closer to a 70% return on investment (ROI).

You'll never get 16 out of 16 that you want -- they will always toss in a townsperson or three, but once you have a good ratio (anything about 5/6 or better) then watch as you spin. If you get items you DON'T want (thus actually improving your odds) you keep picking. If, however, you get "good" stuff then you need to watch the ratio carefully because the more good stuff you get at some point the odds of getting bad stuff will increase so it's no longer a good idea to spin.

For example -- you start with a screen of 10 "good" versus 6 "bad". You pick three bad -- at this point the odds of getting good are vastly increased so you ought to keep picking. However, if you start off and pick 6 "good" (thus leaving you with 4 good versus 6 bad) you really ought to mix it up again so you improve your odds (all of this assumes there's not one particular toy you "just have to have").

If you game it right you ought to be able to get pretty much good stuff until the end (at which point it will be really hard to get a good shuffle consisting of mostly good stuff). With 496 items, though, you still can get most of the "good" stuff with the 17 characters released so far (as I said, I'm guessing at least a 70% success rate on all good items, and higher if you are more than just average lucky).

rank_250
Kelleytoons

Next

Return to Disney Infinity gameplay related general discussions